• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

January 2011 Mayor of the Avenue is.....Carole (Waterfaller1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Carole (waterfaller1) as 2011's first "Mayor of the Avenue"

She is truly an asset to our community, please join me in welcoming her
:)

Carole, I truly ennjoyed reading your interview; it is wonderful to get to know you a little better :heart:

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

19 months~ Red Fronted Macaw~Holly
Approx 15 years~Hawkheaded Parrot~Cochise
Age Unknown~American Singer Canary~Kismet
2 years~Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
Approx 2~Red Legged Honeycreeper~Mr. Jeepers
Approx 2~Red Legged Honeycreeper~Jada

2. what got you interested in birds?

As a child we had a green budgie named Pebbles. He had a sad existence hanging from the ceiling in the den downstairs.:( At age 8 or 9, I became friends with a girl who's mom had an Amazon. The first large Parrot I had ever been so close to.He cussed like crazy!:o:
Growing up in the 60's, there were Mynahs and parrots at the pet shop where I spent half of my childhood. I was always considered "too young" as a child, to have anything other than fish. I longed to have my own.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds are so diverse, there is something to love about each one. From the beauty of their colors and song, to the antics of my parrots, and special mousebird. Birds have also brought wonderful friends into my life. Like all of you here. Such supporting and loving people!:hug8:

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned to pay close attention to them, since birds can hide their illness. I am very tuned into their subtle changes and behaviors. I have learned that laughing each and every day makes you happy. They give me that happiness and laughter.:)

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Raising a baby from an egg at day one. I don't know how I managed to incubate this egg without a brooder, but I did successfully care for it, and it hatched into a wonderful Jenday Conure. This was in the early 80's.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

They have their own room which they share. It has lots of windows, and they love to watch the birds and squirrels outside. I recently added a screen door for a little extra security, when they are out of their cages...which is daily.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Awareness mostly. Since I choose to have flighted birds, being conscious of them so no injury or escape happens.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

There is a little group who meets for a bird dinner once a month here. I have been once, it was ok, but not something I would do again. I thought of joining the canary groups who meet locally and have shows. Recently my thoughts have been closer to home, spending all of my available time with those I have instead.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A place for true flight. Like a 40 foot aviary made just to play with them in.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

There are a few I really love, some just because of their beauty, like the Major Mitchell Cockatoo. I realize though, that it is fun to love them from a distance. I also am loving the Uncape Parrots we have here on Avian Avenue. Juggling time between our business, home, birds, dog, time to care for my fish, I realize though that another time demanding parrot would not be fair to those I have.

11.Please describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

In the a.m., the first bird to be heard is my Male Redlegged Honeycreeper, Mr. Jeepers. The first hint of light and he will make a low Tssk sound. Next comes Kismet, he will usually begin to sing. I go into the birdroom and change out food, water, and paper lining the cages. Sometimes Gryphon or Holly assist with making their breakfast. Holly and Cochise spend as much time out of their cages as is available. I often come and go a couple times a day from our home, but I work from home, so they are out and playing most of the day. I also bring them to their playstand in the living area, and to my office which is in a spare bedroom. They get their fruits and veggies, etc. in the afternoon, and a water change usually then also. I go with the current outside light, as to when they are "in bed" or awake.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I have learned to research before any new addition. I have learned there is a wonderful community of bird lovers, and they are the best kind of people to have in your life. Patience, of course. Especially when dealing with birds that are rehomed to you. Some take lots of time, and need to work out how they adapt to life with you,without being pressured.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would not have clipped my birds previously, and I have learned a lot about better nutrition over the years. Research!!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I have several aquariums, from a betta to planted tanks, fancy goldfish, and a reef aquarium we have had since 03'. I love to cook, and keep exotic houseplants like Bonsai, orchids and succulents.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I love you all, and appreciate being chosen as Mayor! As mayor of the first month in 2011, I would like to pass on my positive outlook on life. Live for the day, seize the moment, let go of the past, and work towards a better tomorrow! And keep smiling.:)

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Congrats, I loved the interview :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
way to go hun loved finding out more about you in your interview it was great
pays lousy no retirement but oh isnt it a great feeling being a chosen one
your right just being amember here is a proud task being able to say we have the best board on internet thanks to all who help us build
wow great choice in mayer

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations Carole!! :hug8: I can't think of a more deserving person.. :highfive:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats! Enjoyed reading through the interview.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Wonderful Choice for the beginning of 2011!
Always love hearing the different things that are going on at your place Carole! :dancing::hug8::heart:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::Congratwav::chipmunks:

Could not have happened to a nicer person Carol! So happy for you and loved reading about your days and your birds. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
YAY!! Congrats!! You deserve it :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, congrats to you!! An excellent choice for Mayor of the Avenue!
I really enjoyed your interview! I love talking to you on the phone and hearing your flock in the background. They always sound so very happy!
Most of all I wish everyone could live by this statement, you have such a wonderful, happy and positive outlook on life! :
I love you all, and appreciate being chosen as Mayor! As mayor of the first month in 2011, I would like to pass on my positive outlook on life. Live for the day, seize the moment, let go of the past, and work towards a better tomorrow! And keep smiling.:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I loved reading the interview.

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is awesome! Big congrats Carole!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gosh.... I missed saying thank you!:o:
I did this very early this morning...not enough coffee at the time.:rofl:
Thanks for the honor, and thank you to everyone for the nice comments!:hug8:

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
:thewave:Congrats Carole! I could not think of a better person to name! I lovr reading the interview and getting to know a little bit more about your fids!:hug8:

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Woot Woot ... Great pick!! Congrats sweet lady. Hug's Barbie and Isis

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Congrats:thewave::bounce4:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
CONGRATS, Carole. I knew it was only a matter of time!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.