• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jaiden is really photogenic today!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Βeautiful!!! :awww:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
What a handsome boy! BTW how did you make that fountain? also how do you keep it clean being its plastic?

DimaTiel

Strolling the yard
What a handsome boy! BTW how did you make that fountain? also how do you keep it clean being its plastic?
Jaiden is a girl, as I mentioned in the intro post. I made it out of a Sprite bottle and a large water bottle. I cut off the bottom of the water bottle, drilled some holes in the neck of the Sprite bottle, then I hot-glued the cap of the Sprite bottle to the bottom of the water bottle, then I put a wire held in by a plastic strap in order to mount it in the cage. Also, it cleans itself since it's a water dispenser.

Last edited:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Jaiden is a girl, as I mentioned in the intro post.
Im sorry, I didn't see that yet, I shall correct that to a gorgeous girl!!

Thats pretty cool, I was curious because I know my water dish for my parrotlet gets slimey after a couple hours and I like to wash it out at least twice a day

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
She's beautiful. :heart2:

then I put a wire held in by a plastic strap in order to mount it in the cage.
What kind of wire? And what are you using as the mesh for the cage?

Also, it cleans itself since it's a water dispenser.
Goodness, no. You will still need to clean it, and frequently at that. Bacteria grows rapidly in such an environment. Mold. Algae.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie she is!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She’s adorable!! :swoon:

Cool idea for the water however I am seriously concerned about the plastic.

Soda bottles (and other plastic drink bottles) are designed as a once off use item- I do like to reuse them myself if I can but never ever for my bird.
They cannot be used in cafes and other food places for dispensing sauces etc as the plastic breaks down and deteriorates, I even remember when my kids were little their schools put out warnings to parents to not reuse the plastic drink bottles that you get cordials, soda and juices in simply due to the plastic being safe only for the original drink the bottle contained.
I personally would not be comfortable using a repurposed disposable drink bottle for
my birds.

Can you share the actual name of the mesh wire you have used?
You say generic mesh... to me that would be galvanised wire mesh?
I’m really interested as I’m only familiar with SS or galvanised wire mesh but if yours is zinc free I don’t believe it can be galvanised but it also doesn’t appear to be SS.

DimaTiel

Strolling the yard
She’s adorable!! :swoon:

Cool idea for the water however I am seriously concerned about the plastic.

Soda bottles (and other plastic drink bottles) are designed as a once off use item- I do like to reuse them myself if I can but never ever for my bird.
They cannot be used in cafes and other food places for dispensing sauces etc as the plastic breaks down and deteriorates, I even remember when my kids were little their schools put out warnings to parents to not reuse the plastic drink bottles that you get cordials, soda and juices in simply due to the plastic being safe only for the original drink the bottle contained.
I personally would not be comfortable using a repurposed disposable drink bottle for
my birds.

Can you share the actual name of the mesh wire you have used?
You say generic mesh... to me that would be galvanised wire mesh?
I’m really interested as I’m only familiar with SS or galvanised wire mesh but if yours is zinc free I don’t believe it can be galvanised but it also doesn’t appear to be SS.
Sadly I can't find the excess wire mesh I still have left over. Also, if the plastic bottle water dispenser is bad, then tell that to the gosh darn internet, and my dad.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Sadly I can't find the excess wire mesh I still have left over. Also, if the plastic bottle water dispenser is bad, then tell that to the gosh darn internet, and my dad.
Shez's info is solid and it took me two seconds of googling to find some sources to back her up. These are just the first few links I grabbed. Do your own research.

DimaTiel

Strolling the yard
Shez's info is solid and it took me two seconds of googling to find some sources to back her up. These are just the first few links I grabbed. Do your own research.
i hate when you're being taught to recycle but then you get turned away because reusing bottles is bad :p

Feather

Avenue Veteran
well, great, pet store water dispensers are just too small, cmon I have 4 birds
I have four birds too? They all have their own stainless steel bowl in their cages, and additional SS water dishes outside the cages as well. I change the water at least once a day, more if they poop, throw food in, or otherwise soil it. I don't see the problem here.