• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jade's Vet Chronicles

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek Koopa always did that!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
I have to ask because this is just the funniest thing: do any of your birds run backwards before they poop? Jade will always back up before she poops if she's not on a perch. It's a weird little quirk of hers, I guess. I think it's kinda funny, to be honest. Do any of your birds do this?
my dove Bird did that and he would back up really far sometimes lol

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have to ask because this is just the funniest thing: do any of your birds run backwards before they poop? Jade will always back up before she poops if she's not on a perch. It's a weird little quirk of hers, I guess. I think it's kinda funny, to be honest. Do any of your birds do this?
I think it's a baby thing. When they get older they don't stay down on the bottom but if they're on top of a flat surface they'll do a little squat and poop. Bob... on the other hand... will lift his wings straight up for his poop ejection. I've not seen any of my other birds do this. It would be interesting to hear from other Black cap owners if theirs do the same dramatic poop.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Baby birds do it to keep the nest clean so probably some adults just continue to do it.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today I caught Jade laying on her back on a platform perch, trying to grab a toy in her feet! What a little clown baby!

She's also been beating the living daylights out of her stainless steel tube bell. She likes to make little dinosaur noises, like a loud "errrrr". She sounds like either a tiny dinosaur or a car that's backfiring lol. She's still so sweet, although she does try to chase after my toes. She's doing so well!

Soon enough she'll have another box of toys coming from @Macawnutz , Jade has been hard at work on her toys. She especially loves vine right now.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Soon enough she'll have another box of toys coming from @Macawnutz , Jade has been hard at work on her toys. She especially loves vine right now.
Cute toys have left the building and are on their way. :D

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I have yet another question- I know it will be quite a while before Jade reaches maturity, but when eggy time happens, what do I do? I've never had a female bird before, so please forgive my ignorance.

Is there anything I need to know, any threads I need to read? Jade is an only bird, so the eggs will not be fertile, don't worry about babies. I have basically 0 knowledge other than that she might lay eggs when she's older. Please point me in the right direction!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My girls were hatched here in 2008 ( Astro green cheek) and 2009 ( sisters Ruby and Scarlette -crimson bellies) and none of them have laid eggs. Astro is much more hormonal in behavior than the other two as in she will squat down and make a wimpering sound always as an invitation for mating even when I just talk to her. The other two girls when given time to socialize with Casey will do beaking and wing slaps, mutual butt preening ( Scarlette and Casey only) and Scarlette and Casey will try to hide to get cozy with each other. They haven't mated because I interrupt and make them come up where I can see them and discourage mating. Lola is particularly hormonal this year. She has shredded an entire 2 foot piece of 2x4 on top of her cage, picking around the shredded wood and doing a little clucking. I need to gather all those shavings and remove them to discourage her from thinking she's building a nest. I would just say no huts or hidey holes. I'd have to look into what foods prompt more hormones... maybe to much protein rich foods... but that's a guess for me at the moment.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think rather than worry about it, come here if she lays one and we will guide you. I have 4 tiel girls (notorious egg layers you'd think right?) and only one lays any eggs at all. No boys around so I try to change her light exposure, diet, etc. and if none of that works she sits on her eggs until she's tired of it.

:)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today Jade tried blueberries and blackberries! She got one of each.

Bonus pics of Jade enjoying a pea (one of her favorites), her checking out a blueberry, and the post-berry poops!

20200630_121830.jpg 20200630_122321.jpg 20200630_155503.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She's so pretty!!!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She really is :joyful: she's so sweet too, she just wants snuggles all the time. Although when she sees my phone, she'll try to chew on my phone case, so taking pictures is a bit tough.
Kiwi jumps on my phone as soon as the camera if focused and I have the perfect pic, I press the button and end up with another tail photo :rolleyes:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would eat it!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue