• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jade's Molt

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
It looks like my Jade IRN is gonna have one hard molt. About this time a year ago he had a partial molt and was plucking. The plucking seems to be absent and I’ve got my flock on a breeders pellet for now in the mazuri brand as I found the daily maintenance lacking for this level. I’m watching him but it seems like a really normal molt for him. This does mean everyone is on a hair trigger for hormones, huh?

yay…. Spring. :/

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s been my experience with hard moults is that they’re over sooner. Hard and fast or normal and goes on for weeks and weeks. Honestly don’t know what’s better, lol!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Intense moults aren't uncommon for IRN. Do your best to offer a bathing opportunity daily so that Jade may be a little more comfortable during this time. I also suggest feeding some hemp seeds which are high protein and will help with the rapid regrowth.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Intense moults aren't uncommon for IRN. Do your best to offer a bathing opportunity daily so that Jade may be a little more comfortable during this time. I also suggest feeding some hemp seeds which are high protein and will help with the rapid regrowth.
I offer daily misting, weekly showers, as well as leaving two bowls of open source water for bathing as well as his drinking water. I had no idea hemp was good for protein.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I offer daily misting, weekly showers, as well as leaving two bowls of open source water for bathing as well as his drinking water. I had no idea hemp was good for protein.
Misting is a fantastic way to help Jade feel a little more comfortable.

This link (below) is for human nutrition, but it gives you a rough idea of the benefit of hemp seeds. I personally would feed hemp once or twice a week with Jade's regular diet, but during a molt I would offer hemp daily. As you can see for a 30g serving 9g is protein, that is pretty good for new feather growth, but your bird likely doesn't need 30g! I would offer a pinch/ 1/2-1 tsp.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I really appreciate this advice. I’ve been adding hemp, chia, and flax seed to my birds daily menu. Even my Quartz who hasn’t had tail feathers for a couple of years is doing well on it. And Jade has cleared up on the feathers and growing some he lost during the last molt.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My birds are molting and my goodness does Jades new feathers look wonderful.