• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jade is 16…. And molting

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Any advice on extras for molting senior birds? It’s not just Jade, but my parakeet Sadie, my lovebird Celes. I have another forum I visit for the others, so I won’t worry about them here. It’s my hookbills I need advice for. We use mazuri pellets, Harrison’s, browns encore seed products, and chops. Is it safe possibly to just let Jade go cage free?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Frequent baths help greatly with molts.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Yes, I agree. It’s something I already do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's is 22-23 and I've not noticed that he needs any special care regarding molting. I suppose you could add Prozyme (just a pinch) to his food to help him better absorb nutrients.

Ripley is essentially cage free in that his cage is rarely closed unless we're out of the house or we have visitors like other dogs or small children. Whether it is safe for your bird will largely be dependent on any possible dangers and how you address them!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s not just Jade, but my parakeet Sadie, my lovebird Celes. I have another forum I visit for the others, so I won’t worry about them here. It’s my hookbills I need advice for.
Who are the ¨others¨?

Is it safe possibly to just let Jade go cage free?
Definitely not in the same room as your lovebird. A moulting lovebird can be quite nippy and give less warnings to the already few they usually give. They likely won´t be able to kill Jade, but an injury can still occur and one or both could get hurt.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can give them brewers yeast.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
@Zara i have a total flock of fifteen domestic indoor birds, three turkeys, several chickens, and four small dogs. (I gave up the cat). The others are usually anything not a hookbill. :) I do understand your concerns about Jade and my lovebirds being loose at the same time. I regulate free time for them as long as they aren’t too difficult to deal with. Celes has a unique case where she’s too scared to handle, so she got a nice large flight cage, when not free in the bird room.
@sunnysmom what does the brewers yeast do? I’ll check my cabinets for some.
@Mizzely prozyne? I’ve never heard of it and will likely bring it up at Jades next vet visit.
I really appreciate all the feed back everyone. I’m new at the senior bird thing and likely letting my nerves get the best of me. It’s not as bad as it could be because of the help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do understand your concerns about Jade and my lovebirds being loose at the same time. I regulate free time for them
I´m sure you do. That´s not what I´m saying though. You were asking whether Jade could be a cage-free bird. That would only be an option if she were in a room away from your lovebird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This article is titled eating droppings but it discusses the use of brewers yeast: Eating Droppings

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Prozyme is just digestive enzymes to help make better use of nutrients in food. I give it to both Ripley and my cat (who's 12). There are many different ones but this is the one I'm using

149794_Main._AC_SL1200_V1585694172_.jpg