• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
:dance4::hug8:Good morning!! So happy to see Jacob is eating a little bit for you! You are doing great Herdis, keep up the good work! :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad that Jacob is improving! It's so scarey when they are sick. I wish they could tell us what doesn't feel good. Keep up the great care!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sounds like Jacob has turned a corner and is on the mend. I am so happy for you! You are doing a wonderful job taking care of him. He is blessed to have you.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
With all this hopefully beneficial advice from everyone (especially W.V. with his detailed suggestions), who needs a vet - right? ;) .... Just kidding, vets do serve a purpose - sometimes/often. :)

Seriously, Jacob's problem is an excellent example/case showing what everyone needs to know or should know (IMO) to assist their birds in the future - especially when one is living in a remote location or when one cannot afford a vet or cannot find a vet who will accept payments.

In addition to the herbs, supplements, oils, juices, plant extracts, etc. that have been suggested to use in a case like this, best for each of us I think (who does not want to simply or only rely on a usually expensive avian vet) to get a birdie medicine chest ready asap - as one never knows just when these problems/conditions/ailments will surface. Also good to know this stuff for this additional reason: vets are humans too and sometimes do make mistakes and mis-diagnose, aren't available at times, do not return calls in a timely fashion sometimes, give the wrong doses sometimes, etc. - labs also make mistakes. Always best to also have a second opinion from another avian vet and/or someone experienced in the field, even if they do not have DVM next to their name.

I feel that with caring, helpful, bird keepers like we have here on this board, who seem to always be available when you need them (one or more at almost any hr. of any day) most members can truly help their flock members recover from many of the more common afflictions without always needing professional intervention - just as many of us humans can recover from our human ailments without running to a doctor every time we ourselves do not feel good.

Suggestions for all who want to increase the odds of having a healthy flock and for all who want to be able to tend to their birds, at home, where the birds feel the most comfortable:

Prevention is of course the key but when treatment is needed, best IME to have the following on hand - supplies, knowledge & contacts.

For prevention:

(1) Healthy, natural as possible diet.
(2) Ability to exercise naturally = full flight
(3) Natural direct sunshine, daily if possible
(4) Best quality F.S. Lighting (best specs available IMO)
(5) Fresh air to breathe (try to eliminate household fumes/contaminants)
(6) Stress free as possible environment
(7) Clean cages/flights/aviaries
(8) Natural amount of daily sleep required (12 hrs. the books say)
(9) Proper humidity and adequate water to bathe in
(10) Use of proper quarantine procedures when introducing a new flock member to your home/aviary
(11) Proper cleaning of one's human body/clothes & proper cleaning of new toys or cages or etc. (if not sealed air tight) when brought home or coming home from a bird show or pet shop or vet's office etc.
(12) Purchase food in air tight containers/bags from the manufacturer, not from food bins in pet shops
(13) ........ ETC. - (to be added to this list later)

For treatment:

(1) Keep an adequately stocked birdie medicine chest (Injectible Baytril; Nystatin; Metacam; Diflucan (fluconazole); other prescription meds if one can afford them and get them; ACV; Aloe; LRS Solution (electrolytes); handfeeding formula; syringes; eye droppers; gavage instruments; brooder/hospital tank or enclosure; probiotics; the usual bandages, ointments, O.T.C. stuff; Etc. ..........

(2) Learn asap how to give IM injections (Intra-muscular); Sub-Q injections, etc........

(3) Learn asap to crop feed and crop medicate as well as evacuate a crop (the latter most likely will need to be done at the vet's office since this is a much more delicate procedure than just crop feeding or medicating -easier/safer to do on baby birds vs adults or fully weaned birds). Crop feeding/medicating IS NOT rocket science - usually all that is needed is a proper sterile instruments, positive attitude, a somewhat steady hand, knowledge of how to hold the bird and how to stretch the neck (usually an assistant is needed).

(4) Have local contacts ready to assist if needed. Make friends/associations with local parrot/bird breeders and local bird pet shop owners/managers/employees who are qualified to help if you need it. Many who are in the field who truly love birds (not just in the field for profit) would be willing to assist if called upon in an emergency. Of course, in return for their assistance, give these people your business when purchasing supplies for your flock members and even volunteer to help out in their shops/aviaries to learn and pay back. Refer other local bird owners/keepers to their businesses.

(5) Purchase a few books on proper bird keeping to include books on the species you keep and a couple in general avian medical books.

Note: I hope no one minds my posting this advice in this thread or in any future threads of similar nature. This post may qualify as a "Sticky" but some members do not always read all stickies or look for stickies before asking questions in a time of need. Therefore, making sure this advice is read (more than once), everytime a similar problem arises, will undoubtedly be of benefit to a bird and the keeper in need and eventually put into practice - hopefully sooner than later. JMO.

FOR CLARIFICATION/EMPHASIS: Please do not take anything I said above as meaning that you should not take your birds to qualified avian vets when you sense something is wrong. Birds are very good at hiding their problems when they are not feeling well and by the time they start to exhibit symptoms of illness, their condition is probably pretty advanced. When in doubt, call the a.v. ... All I am saying is that when I notice their droppings are off, appetites have changed or a bird is simply not acting quite right, I can usually head off more serious problems by intervening immediately with some things I have here at home. I realize that not everyone is comfortable with doing this and by all means, if you are not, then for the sake of the bird, call your vet.

Everything I have suggested above is from 15+ yrs. of personal first hand experience. I do not know it all (far from it), I am still learning daily as we all are. Hope some of what I have learned will be of assistance to some of you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Gary and thanks Prince for that post. Herdis, I'm so glad that Jacob is perking up. You have done wonderfully well.

I've been watching this thread closely, but with Gary's advise to you, I had not a thing to add. Keep up the good work - both of you.
ML

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good post PTB. I have been wanting to start a thread myself about "what you should know before your bird gets sick". Not that I am any expert and sure dont want to be but based on my experience what I bought as I was going through my illness with one of my birds. Question on #1 though, I dont think a vet is going to give you medications to keep on hand would they? That also could be a little scary with people self diagnosing illness in their bird. Can you elaborate on #1 please?

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
How is Jacob doing this afternoon?

gary
He's doing fine, considering everything. He's been sleeping in his warm cage but when he's awake his eyes are more alert and open than before. He's been chewing on his toys. I just gave him a few sunflower seeds dipped in applesauce and then he took two big sips of water with acv. I offered him almond before but he wasn't interested. He perked up allot after he got some food in his system. He is still tired after the whole thing just like we are after spending a whole day vomiting. I know last time when I got a stomach flu it took me about a week to regain my strength. Tomorrow, thankfully I will get the probiotics.

I just changed the paper in his cage and his poop is improving, last one was a big one with lots of solid green :)

Hi Gary and thanks Prince for that post. Herdis, I'm so glad that Jacob is perking up. You have done wonderfully well.

I've been watching this thread closely, but with Gary's advise to you, I had not a thing to add. Keep up the good work - both of you.
ML
Thank you Mary. Gary has been really helpful and the whole board really supportive. It's good to have this kind of backup :)

Prince toasty buns you bring up some important points but sadly most of us don't think of this until our bird gets sick. Human nature I suppose.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good post PTB. I have been wanting to start a thread myself about "what you should know before your bird gets sick". Not that I am any expert and sure dont want to be but based on my experience what I bought as I was going through my illness with one of my birds. Question on #1 though, I dont think a vet is going to give you medications to keep on hand would they? That also could be a little scary with people self diagnosing illness in their bird. Can you elaborate on #1 please?
Pat it depends on the trust you have built up with your vet. I have been going to my vet for 11 years and he lets me keep a supply of antibiotics and antifungals, plus a few other things on hand. He knows that one of Murphy's Laws is that all birds get sick Fri. night and on Holidays. He also knows that I know enough about my birds and illnesses that I would never put my birds at risk. He knows that I will always confer with him about treatment whether before or after the fact.
ML

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Pat it depends on the trust you have built up with your vet. I have been going to my vet for 11 years and he lets me keep a supply of antibiotics and antifungals, plus a few other things on hand. He knows that one of Murphy's Laws is that all birds get sick Fri. night and on Holidays. He also knows that I know enough about my birds and illnesses that I would never put my birds at risk. He knows that I will always confer with him about treatment whether before or after the fact.
ML
ML that is what I assumed for any that would be able to get prescription drugs from their avian vets. For experienced people like yourself, Gary and PTB and any others I may not be thinking about at this time :) I think that is a valuable commodity to have but the lesser experienced folks I think it could be very dangerous dont you? There are many non prescription items though that everyone can have onhand that will aid in keeping your bird stable if you are in a situation where you cannot see a vet for a day or two.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

ML
You on right on the money when you quote Murphy's Law and and sick bird on long weekends. Every bird owner should have an emergency kit containing supplies to get a sick bird through the night or weekend until they can see an avian vet. Even if one does not have antibiotics they need to have, some holistic supplies on hand to get the bird through the emergency. Keeping in mind holistic medication does not act as fast an antibiotic but are a lot better than doing nothing.

Herdis has done an excellent job with Jacob! Having a vomiting bird is one of the worst situations one can be in. If a bird vomits it is very easy to loose it to aspiration or dehydration.

Any reading this thread needs to ask themselves, "do we have and emergency kit on hand to keep our bird alive should there be and emergency". The Prince did an outstanding post on emergency supplies and treatment. I suggest everyone read it a couple of times and act on getting the supplies they need.

gary

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

He's doing fine, considering everything. He's been sleeping in his warm cage but when he's awake his eyes are more alert and open than before. .. He perked up allot after he got some food in his system.

I just changed the paper in his cage and his poop is improving, last one was a big one with lots of solid green :)

This is great news! I am so happy to hear he is doing better. Keep up the good work Herdis. What a wonderful, helpful community AA is.:AArocks:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm so glad to hear Jacob is doing better! :hug8: This board is wonderful, full of so many knowledgeable people. :hug8:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I was so sad reading this! But am very glad he's feeling better. It's always such a helpless feeling when our babies get sick. I'll be thinking of you and Jacob!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Herdis, you are doing a fantastic job! :hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay for Herdis and Jacob! He'll be in fine form to play on his decked out Jollyball and Rosie swing.:dancing:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis I hope tomorrow brings more good news! I hope Jacob has turned the corner.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Oh I am glad that Jacob is starting to feel better! Keep it up, Jacob! :hug8:

Herdis, you're doing so great! Continuing to send you and Jacob many positive thoughts!:hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive vibes and healing thoughts for Jacob. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.