• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

Give us an update in the AM. Feed Jacob drop by drop with and eye dropper if you need to..........
:hug8:

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis hope you and Jacob have a good nights rest. We'll hope for a good update in the morning. :hug8:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Good morning you all! Jacob seems to be on the mends. He came with me into the kitchen while I was fixing his sick food. I know he's hungry because he climbed onto the kitchen counter top and walked straight to the fruits and started chewing on an apple. So I quickly offered him some applesauce. Which he ate! I then offered him some water with few drops of ACV but he wasn't interested so I offered him fresh water in a glass and he had a drink. I tired offering him some harrison's mash but he just turned his head away. So I mixed some with applesauce and tiny bit of slippery elm and put in a bowl and that is the food he has next to him now. I hope the applesauce will mask the taste of the harrisons and he will eat it. When I was putting everything away in the fridge Jacob tired to climb in looking for something better to eat than this hospital food I'm offering. He then tucked his head under his wing and went to sleep on my shoulder. I put him on his cage and he now asleep on top of his cage. I placed bowls with applesauce mix, water with ACV and another one with oatmeal broth near him so he has easy access to them.

I'm hoping he will eat and drink by himself today. I know when I'm sick in my stomach and have been throwing up I don't have much appetite either.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Praying that he keeps on getting better.

Ginger

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So hope Jacob has turned the corner and is on the mend. You are looking after him so well, and giving him the best chance ever with what is on offer . Good luck.:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

It sounds like the little guy is doing better. See if you can find a starting point for the ACV, like one or two drops in his water bowl and build up from there. Even a small amount of ACV will change the PH in his GI tract and help him. Some ACV is better than no ACV at all. Our birds get ACV in their water several times a week and seem to really like the taste. I will give them extra any time I see their poop is a little off. Jacob may like the applesauce warmed to 39-40 degrees Celsius. If he like the applesauce you will be able to sneak a drop or two of ACV in there a bit later. Keep him eating offering his favorite foods. I would not let him drink to much liquid at one time as you want him to keep food and water down rather than have him vomit. What are his favorite foods?

Keep up the good work, I know having a bird not feeling good can wear on you.

gary

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Good morning Herdis,

Yesterday you said Jacob was 228 grams. What is his weight this morning?

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

You might try offering some warm ground up Harrison's with applesauce and see if he like that. The goal is to get food and water in him with some meds. I know you have an antibiotic coming tomorrow. Let's hope he continues to get better and you won't have to use them. Before you give any medications by mouth please talk to the avian vet or get advice on how to give them. Since you live in a remote place, you should consider acquiring supplies to give Sub-Q injections of fluids.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Hi,

It sounds like the little guy is doing better. See if you can find a starting point for the ACV, like one or two drops in his water bowl and build up from there. Even a small amount of ACV will change the PH in his GI tract and help him. Some ACV is better than no ACV at all. Our birds get ACV in their water several times a week and seem to really like the taste. I will give them extra any time I see their poop is a little off. Jacob may like the applesauce warmed to 39-40 degrees Celsius. If he like the applesauce you will be able to sneak a drop or two of ACV in there a bit later. Keep him eating offering his favorite foods. I would not let him drink to much liquid at one time as you want him to keep food and water down rather than have him vomit. What are his favorite foods?

Keep up the good work, I know having a bird not feeling good can wear on you.

gary
He likes sunflower seeds, walnuts, apples, banana, mango and seeds. When I got him 9 months ago he had been on an all seed diet and given the choice he would eat nothing else.

Should I feed him a few drops of food and water every hour? or every half hour?

Good morning Herdis,

Yesterday you said Herdis was 228 grams. What is his weight this morning?
Jacob was so eager to eat something this morning that I completely forgot to weigh him. When I remembered he had gone to sleep but I will weigh him when I get the chance.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Jacob being eager to eat something is a very good sign! Nice to see he like banana and mango. You can hull some sunflower seeds for him and give him some, they have fat calories in them that he needs right now. The Harrison' and high calorie foods are great for him. The fiber in the applesauce will help them pass through his system.

Water, try offering some with the a drop or two of ACV if he will drink it. He can drink a small amounts of water but don't let him over due it to the point he vomits. Once he get a little ACV and slippery elm in him It should soothe his GI tract and help stop the vomiting. If he is eating warm Harrison's he will be getting water there. Dry Harrison's sucks the water out of his system which you don't want right now. You will see what I mean when you mix Harrison's with water, it turns to cement if there is not enough water in it. The same thing can happen in his crop if he does not get enough water mixed with it. The applesauce will help keep that from happening. Seeds have oil in them and don't seem to set up like pellets. You are doing good and know him better than us......

How do his poops look today?

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I have been following this thread from the beginning and the advice everyone has been giving. Very interesting. Are you familiar with using sq fluids? If not, please have a vet present the first few times. It's a breeze in mammals, but sometimes birds can be kind of tricky. Glad to hear Jacob is doing better. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. :hug8:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
his poops are watery and with allot of urates, not so much green. I tried giving him the applesauce mix on my finger but he just turned his head, so I held his head in the palm of my hand and put some applesauce mix in his lower beak. He was not happy but ate it. I then held his head again and gave him few drops of water with small amount of ACV. Again he was not happy but drank it. I also just gave him two sunflower seeds which he ate with gusto.

I know what you mean about the harrison's. It takes a surprising amount of water to make a mash. But he doesn't like the mash so I mixed it in with the applesauce along with a tiny amount of slippery elm. That is what I just gave him.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
oh and he hasn't vomited since yesterday morning so that seems to have past.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Since he is eating the sunflower seeds give him some more as a treat once he eats other foods first and see if that works. If not the sunflower seeds have nourishment he needs right now. Let him drink all the water he wants but not at one time. From the looks of the poops he needs some solid food, if it has to be a seed mix, OK. Make sure he eats some applesauce or mango.

gary

Last edited:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
since he was so eager to eat the sunflower seeds I tried dipping them in the applesauce mix. And he ate the sunflower seeds coated in applesauce. I gave him a few but didn't want to give him to much even though he wanted more. He then had one sip of water with ACV. Well I'm glad I found a way to get some food in him and that he want's the sunflower seeds. Yesterday morning he didn't want any. I will give him some more later on. I'm so happy he's getting some nourishment.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Both of you are doing very good! :)

It sounds like he is feeling much better. Continue to keep him warm. It is better for him to conserve his calories to fight illness rather than use them to keep warm. If you have almonds I would give him some of those also, nothing in the shell right now.

Keep up the good work.

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I have some almonds in a shell, I will unshell one an give him later

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
Thats great news! I wish that he'll be all healthy again asap! ;) Almonds are great and very nutritious! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.