• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Hi, since your bird weigh about 250g and an average human about 150lbs, there is about a 300-1 ratio, meaning your bird should get about 1-300th of the dosage listed for a human. check to make sure you are in that range for the echinacea.

gary
I will do that :)

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I am so glad to see you Gary in this thread. Is Jacob felling better?
Gary knows his stuff......

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
How is Jacob doing?

gary
right now he is sitting on one leg with his head tucked under one wing, sleeping. He has slept almost all day. No vomiting. He's pooping. He refuses to eat or drink. I tried giving him something to drink with a syringe but he would have none of that. I'm worried that he's not getting enough fluid.

edited to add: He just had something to drink. He had one sip of water with aloe vera, one sip of the oatmeal broth and several of fresh water with few drops of ACV. He didn't want the sports drink that I mixed half and half with water. He has now gone back to sleep.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, I like that he is relaxing and sleeping but do not like to see him not eating and drinking. When he wakes up again I suggest you use an eye dropper and put drops of water with ACV on his tongue or in his lower beak, do not try and put it down is throat. Once you get him drinking like this, he will eat some the same way.

A plastic dropper is best for safety.

Do you have Skype service?

gary

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Trinket will also drink drops from my finger.

Ginger

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
He seems to be perking up. I tried giving him drops of acv water but he will turn his head away and eventually walk away. I then tried putting him in my lap and held him while putting drops in his beak. He was not happy about it and became distressed so I stopped. He drank a fair bit on his own before but if hes not eating and drinking tomorrow I'm calling the vet.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I would consider gairdia as well as impaction of the crop if that has not been investigated. I had 6 zons that all came down with gairdia a few years ago, what you are going through sounds very similar. You can test for it but it will take at least 3 poops as the parasite is not shed in every dropping.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis of all my birds, I never thought Tequila would allow me to hand feed him much less give him medication. There are times when we have to do this for them so dont be afraid to gently persuade him to let you feed him or offer him water. You have to do what you have to do to get him well. I know how hard it is, you are doing great. :hug8:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Herdis of all my birds, I never thought Tequila would allow me to hand feed him much less give him medication. There are times when we have to do this for them so dont be afraid to gently persuade him to let you feed him or offer him water. You have to do what you have to do to get him well. I know how hard it is, you are doing great. :hug8:
I know I keep telling that to myself but I worked so hard for Jacob to overcome his fear of hands. I'm afraid I will loose that trust if I start restraining him. But if he's not drinking and eating on his own tomorrow I'm going to call the vet and ask her to instruct me on how to best do this. On the whole Jacob seems to be doing better, he has stopped vomiting.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
That is good Herdis that he has stopped vomiting. Maybe if you could just gently hold his head on each side with your palm at the back of his head if needed. Hopefully you wont have to do that. Hang in there, it is so hard when you are going through something like this. We are here to support you any way we can. :hug8:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
We need a Jacob update. Hope he is improving.:hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Herdie, just try putting small amounts of food he likes on your finger but don't force it stressing him. Jacob will likely try to eat. Even if it isn't the normal amount that he eats some foods with lots of water will help him have strength. Sending lot's of loving thoughts for you and Jacob.

Last edited:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
We are so sorry your Jacob is sick. Ruby and I will keep you in our thoughts. You are doing a great job!

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry your baby is sick. It has to be so hard when there are no avian vets around. And I thought it was bad here when they all took nights, weekends and holidays off. :(
Sending good thoughts and healing energy.
:hug8:

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I am so sorry that Jacob is sick, sending many healing thoughts and I hope he's doing better:hug8::hug8::hug8:

I'm not very experience but one comment
I know I keep telling that to myself but I worked so hard for Jacob to overcome his fear of hands. I'm afraid I will loose that trust if I start restraining him.
Many years ago I had a tiel, he was still untamed and very scared of hands when he got sick and I had to restrain him to medicate him with a syringe twice a day for (from memory) about 10 days. After that he was never scared of hands again. I'm not saying that will happen with Jacob but please don't be scared of handling him if that's what's needed! Even if he regresses his trust, I'm sure he'll forgive you eventually:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers for Jacob and a Big :hug8:For You!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sending more healing prayers your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.