• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis when Tequila was sick, I moved him into my bedroom so he was right nearby. Maybe that would make you feel better and Jacob too. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, can you find aloe-gel in a store near you? Do you have a grocery store in town? Do any of your stores have a herb or health food section? Has Jacob drank any water with ACV in it yet? Did you see any plaque in his mouth? Does Jacobs crop empty all the way? Please don't give him any water or food when he is throwing up.

gary

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
omg Herdis, I'm so sorry Jacob is sick :(

I'm so glad Gary is here to help you :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh no, I am so sorry...I was hoping he was feeling better. I would also put him in a sleep cage by my bed...

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I agree that he needs his rest, is he where you can hear him during the night?
Herdis when Tequila was sick, I moved him into my bedroom so he was right nearby. Maybe that would make you feel better and Jacob too. :hug8:
His cage is so big that it wont fit through the doors in our apartment. He really hates his small traveling cage so I think he would feel better sleeping in his own cage. I set it up by the heater so it's warm.

Hi, can you find aloe-gel in a store near you? Do you have a grocery store in town? Do any of your stores have a herb or health food section? Has Jacob drank any water with ACV in it yet? Did you see any plaque in his mouth? Does Jacobs crop empty all the way? Please don't give him any water or food when he is throwing up.

gary
I will look for aloe-gel in the organic section tomorrow. I didn't manage to get ACV yet but I will buy some tomorrow when the store opens. I looked in his mouth and he doesn't have white plaque in his mouth. I don't know if his crop empties all the way. How can I check that out? I usually offer him something to drink after he is done vomiting, should I not do that? He seems thirsty and drinks allot.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, if Jacob throws up again, examine the contents with a magnifying glass and smell the contents. You are trying to find out if it is fresh food,r sour food or semi processed food he is regurgitating. Watching his poops are very important also, don't be afraid to smell them of feel them with your fingers. The ACV you will be getting will help should there be a yeast infection and will help with a bacterial infection. ACV does not soothe the GI tract like aloe, slippery elm, or Marshmallow root does but it helps.

Do you have friend in town that can put some supplies on the plane for you.?

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
his poop is watery but has some solid green and white in it. The green is bottle green color. I don't have a magnifying glass but his last vomit was clear and slimy, the vomit before that looked like he was throwing up the harrisons/oatmeal broth. One of the vomits from last night had food in it, pieces of walnut.

This morning his vomit smelled sour, I didn't notice any smell when I cleaned the last one up just now.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I will look for pure aloe vera in the store and the pharmacy tomorrow if I can't find any I will contact my friend and ask her to take a look in the health store in the city. I looked at the website these store have and they don't list their products and I can't even order from them. I might call and ask. Also the vet mentioned to not give any sticky food, no fruit or vegetables. Nothing that could get stuck in the crop. I'm wondering if the applesauce wouldn't qualify as sticky?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

Here is a link to show the location of your birds crop. When you feel the crop, do not push up or feel it in a rouh manner. Doing so may cause the bird to regurgitate and aspiration is possible. When the crop is empty it should feel like a deflated balloon. If it has water in it, it will feel like a water balloon. Should it feel mushy it a sign of food be in the crop. The birds crop should empty between feeding, if it does not empty in 12 hours the bird may have a slow or sour crop. You don't want to put new food on old food as the old food sours or rots in the crop.

Link:
Kibibi's InfoSuperFlyway - Flash Enabled Article About Bird Anatomy!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I will look for pure aloe vera in the store and the pharmacy tomorrow if I can't find any I will contact my friend and ask her to take a look in the health store in the city. I looked at the website these store have and they don't list their products and I can't even order from them. I might call and ask. Also the vet mentioned to not give any sticky food, no fruit or vegetables. Nothing that could get stuck in the crop. I'm wondering if the applesauce wouldn't qualify as sticky?
Applesauce is one of the treatments for a slow crop.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
his poop is watery but has some solid green and white in it. The green is bottle green color. I don't have a magnifying glass but his last vomit was clear and slimy, the vomit before that looked like he was throwing up the harrisons/oatmeal broth. One of the vomits from last night had food in it, pieces of walnut.

This morning his vomit smelled sour, I didn't notice any smell when I cleaned the last one up just now.
The poops sound like they are OK. The green solids are good and the white urates show he is digesting his food.

Tomorrow the ACV and applesauce should help improve his crop function and help with any yeast. Smell his mouth several times per day, it should not smell sour or foul.

Could he have swallowed a piece of walnut shell?

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Hi,

Here is a link to show the location of your birds crop. When you feel the crop, do not push up or feel it in a rouh manner. Doing so may cause the bird to regurgitate and aspiration is possible. When the crop is empty it should feel like a deflated balloon. If it has water in it, it will feel like a water balloon. Should it feel mushy it a sign of food be in the crop. The birds crop should empty between feeding, if it does not empty in 12 hours the bird may have a slow or sour crop. You don't want to put new food on old food as the old food sours or rots in the crop.

Link:
Kibibi's InfoSuperFlyway - Flash Enabled Article About Bird Anatomy!
thank you for that link I will check his crop tomorrow. I've covered then cage and Jacob seems to be resting. I gave him some oatmeal broth and he seems keep that down better than water?

I'm off to bed now. Thank you all for the good advise and concerns. Let's hope Jacob will be feeling better tomorrow.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

that wouldn't be impossible, he get's them in the shell.
Feel the crop very very gently then, a piece could be stuck in his crop or the gizzard. If this happened, slippery elm will help it pass. Hope someone in town has the slippery elm, the product Metamucil may also help.

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

Feel the crop very very gently then, a piece could be stuck in his crop or the gizzard. If this happened, slippery elm will help it pass. Hope someone in town has the slippery elm, the product Metamucil may also help.

gary
I found out what slippery elm is in Icelandic, I'm going to look for it in the pharmacy. If I find capsules should I open them and mix with water? What should I be looking for?

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Also with all this stuff, the aloe, ACV, slippery elm. How much should I give Jacob? He is a medium sized bird. 237 grams this morning.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis I hope you get some rest. I agree to have Jacob where he is most comfortable, that is why I didnt put Tequila in a travel cage either. Gary would be able to better direct you on the dosage of the items you are discussing. I will say some prayers for you and Jacob tonight that tomorrow brings some relief for you both. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
As others have said, it is important to feel the crop. If he is digesting food and fluids when your fingertips are pressed to the indentation at the base of the crop/neck, it should feel flat. If the crop feel like it contains fluids, and is rounded, then this could be a serious bacterial infection such as pseudomonas (sp) OR a yeast infection in the crop. If bacterial and the crop keeps getting bigger, what is happening is the body is regurgitating fluids back into the crop...thus also causing dehydration. As long as these fluid remain in the crop, any new food or fluids are going to be contaminated by the crop contents. The bird is also at risk of self-aspirating. If this is the case you have a true emergency and would need to find someone, even a regular vet to empty the crop, and hydrate him. An animal/bird rehabber or wild life care center person may be able to do these things to.

If there are no fluids remaining in the crop and there is digestion....a yeast of bacterial problem could be (does not mean there is) developing.

Do you have garlic powder? If can also act against yeast and bacteria. It can be dissolved in the fluids you are feeding.

Does he appear hydrated. You can tell by looking at his eyes. Are they bright, alert, and rounded looking. When a bird is dehydrating the eyes will start to get a sunken look. Toes will start to look thinner. The skin will start to get a reddened look.

If so, electolyte or gatorade can be used. If you have neither you can make your own electrolyte solution and use as the water for drinking:

Electrolyte solution for re-hydration
Mix the following in a jar:
8 oz. of warm water
½ Tablespoon of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
Still well, and refrigerate. This solution is good for 2-3 days when mixed.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please try and relax we are here for both of you. You are getting a lot of information from all of us. Read it slowly and do not rush to do anything until it is clear to you. Please ask many questions.

I use slippery elm here for both my birds and dog. You can mix 1/4 tsp with a tbsp of applesauce and give it to him with a small pipette. Our birds like the taste in the applesauce.

ACV: Mix tsp per pint of water and put a couple of drops in his food.

Children's pedalyte, gator aid or another sports drink mixed 50/50 with water will also help hydrate him. The mixture Srtiels gave you is a good one also.

gary

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I use slippery elm here for both my birds and dog. You can mix 1/4 tsp with a tsp of applesauce and give it to him with a small pipette. Our birds like the taste in the applesauce.
--------------------------------------

Slippery Elms key constituents are: Mucilage (aid the mucous membranes in the GI tract) Starch (a form of carbs) and Tannins (which help to draw out toxins and irrantants in the GI tract out so that they are not absorbed into the blood stream)

The key actions: Demucent, Emollient, Nutritive, laxative.

It is an excellent food source (mixed as is as formula, pancake batter consistency) or added to other foods, especially for weak or sensitive digestive tract. It is a good balance for the acidity of the applesause or AVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.