• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Do you have a gram scale? If not, you should buy one so that you can monitor his weight daily and see if he is maintaining or losing weight. This is vital information.
I recently got a gram scale and have been weighing him. This morning he was 237 grams, last time I weighted him he was 240 grams and the time before that 239 grams. I' going to continue weighing him and monitor his weight.

I don't know about the berry juice, but Bragg unfiltered apple cider helps as does Aloe detox. I also think that Gary uses Slippery Elm for disgestive upsets.

Is he pooing? Is Jacob a boy or a girl?

I am so sorry.

Ginger
I saw some unfiltered organic ACV in the store, I don't know what slippery elm is. I don't know the sex of Jacob, and he's been pooing although the poo is watery since he hasn't eaten today.

Herdis I know how stressful this can be, especially when you dont have resources to help. I would not put probiotics in his water. I dont think water is a good way to medicate our birds.

Well she said it was specially made to put into the drinking water to improve his gut flora...

Also if you are thinking this could be a yeast infection I would not give any kind of juice as the sugar will only add to the yeast problem. Do you have any unfiltered apple cider vinegar? Is there any vet there that does see birds? Try to create some extra warmth for Jacob whatever way you can. Please let us know how we can help you. :hug8:
The vet didn't mention the possibility of a yeast problem. She said that this berry had vitamins that are easily absorbed by birds and it might improve his appetite mixing it with the harrisons mash.

I turned on the shower in the bathroom so it's warm and humid in there also the whole apartment is quite warm. The bathroom is Jacobs favorite area but for some reason he doesn't want to stay in there now. He is not sitting on his play shelf.

Good Morning,

This is what I would do if this were one of my birds.

Keep him warm 85-87 degrees and keep him hydrated, use childrens apple or plain pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water.

For feeding and possible slow or sour crop. 1Tbsp un-sweetened applesauce, Harrison's ground in coffee grinder. If you have it add 1/8 tsp of the herb slippery elm, add 2 drops alcohol free herb echinacea if you have it. If you have a pet store that sells the probiotic Benebac, buy some and add a 1/8 tsp to the formula you are making.

For digestive problems you can mix 1tbsp un-sweetened applesauce with 1/8 tsp and feed to your bird. Do not feed or give drink when the bird is vomiting!

Does you birds mouth smell? Do the feces have any odor? If possible look in the birds mouth with a small penlight and check for white or cream colored plaque in the mouth and throat, there should be none.

Do your regular vet work on weekends? Asking as you may be able to have the avian vet call the antibiotics in to them and have them dispense to you if needed.

Like the other members have said, mix a few drops of ACV (Bragg brand) in oz of water and offer to your bird. ACV has antibacterial properties but does not act as fast as antibiotics.

Get a cell number from the avian vet should you need to call her on the weekend.

Please keep us posted.

gary
I've never seen applesauce here, let alone unsweetened. Could I just make it from apples? As for the other stuff, I don't know what pedialite, slippery elm is or echinacea is. I live in a small village and the is no pet store and no health store. Jacob doesn't smell but I will try and look into his mouth.

I don't have a regular vet. There is one vet for this area of the country I think she is trained to treat large animals, cats and dogs. I have guinea pigs and a parrot and she has no experience handling neither. So I haven't been taking my animals to her for regular checkups. When I talked to her this morning she said she didn't know anything about birds and didn't have equipment or medications for them either. So the other vet is mailing me stuff.

Could Jacob be egg bound? Has s/he been DNA'd? Has s/he been pooing?

Ginger
Yes he's been pooing and no he hasn't been DNA'd. Would he be vomiting if he was egg bound?

Ok so I made some harrisons mash that Jacob doesn't even want to look at. I also made the oatmeal broth and Jacob drank that, so I sneaked in some harrisons mash and stirred well and Jacob drank that. So at least I'm getting some nourishment and fluid into his body. He has vomited once since I came home (2 hours ago) but not after I gave him the oatmeal broth. He refuses to stay in the warm bathroom so we are making arrangements to move his cage up to one of the heaters (we warm our houses a bit differently from how you do in the USA).

Jacob is tired and obviously doesn't feel well. He is now resting.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you check his bottom and see if there's a bulge of any kind? When did he start getting sick? Any new stuff in the house? Candles? Air Freshner, ect.?

Ginger

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
there is no bulge, there is nothing new in the house. I don't use air fresheners nor candles. Don't use pots and pans with teflon. That go thrown out after we got Jacob (much to my boyfriends dismay) He was unusually quiet and tired yesterday evening and this morning he vomited. I saw two other vomits in the cage so he must have vomited during the night or early morning.

We just finished moving things around and placed his cage up against one of the heaters in the living room. I've partially covered the cage. It's quite warm in there although I don't have a thermostat. Jacob is preening now and we had a bit of conversation just before :) Oh and there is no risk of toxic fumes from the heater.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would get online and see if you can order some Slippery Elm powder and Ecinacia. I think home made apple sauce would be great.

I would also not wait to get an antibiotic. I am really worried.

Ginger

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
I hope you get to the bottom of it.. Im glad Jacob is talking and preening today! Hug's and keep us updated. Barbie and Isis

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I would get online and see if you can order some Slippery Elm powder and Ecinacia. I think home made apple sauce would be great.

I would also not wait to get an antibiotic. I am really worried.

Ginger
I will look for slippery elm and ecinacia, although I don't think there are online health stores here in Iceland. But anyways I wouldn't get it until next week. As for the antibiotics, I will get them on monday in the mail. The post office is closed on saturdays and sundays. The vet here doesn't have the antibiotics. I'm going to go to the store and get the organic unfiltered ACV and give that to Jacob. It's not Braggs brand though. Thank you for the concern Ginger :hug8:

I hope you get to the bottom of it.. Im glad Jacob is talking and preening today! Hug's and keep us updated. Barbie and Isis
thank you :), I also think it's a good sign seeing him preening.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis I agree you could cook some fresh apples down and make your own applesauce. Maybe we could help you find some items on the internet that would be helpful for you to have onhand. You are doing the best you can. I know my birds did not want to touch harrisons mash either but I gave them some organic baby food and added a small amount of the mash in that and then they ate it. At least you do have the antiboitics coming on Monday. It doesnt matter if the ACV is Braggs brand as long as it is unfiltered.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Herdis, do hope your Jacob is better really soon. You are doing the best you can with what you have available.
Could you put together an emergency stash of things you can order on line with a good shelf life so that you have them available for future use? Hopefully will not be needed but would make you feel a lot safer? Good luck.:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi again,

You can make applesauce out of fresh apples, use no seeds or skin. The ACV you saw in town will help. Your vet is correct about the berry juice. Sometimes we will mix unsweetened berry juice applesauce and Harrison's into a formula for a sick bird.

My wife used to visit Keflavik several times a year when she managed the dental clinic at the base. We lived on a remote Island in Alaska very similar to Iceland, Adak, Ak. Living there I know the frustration you are having with medication for your bird. Is there a wildlife refuge or a person who rehabs birds where you are?

If possible call the vet that sees birds and see if she will call the vet in town should you need antibiotics before Monday. Birds can go downhill very fast. Broad spectrum antibiotics for birds are the same for large animals. Preferred choices would be Clavamox or Baytril, check with the vet that sees birds.

Heat will help the bird a lot but it needs to be hydrated as the heat will tend to dehydrate him. Watch the birds poop as it will tell you if he is getting enough hydration. Can you by chance get aloe gel there? It also soothes the digestive tract.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I see you are a Biologist, do you have access to a micro scope? Do you know how to do a gram stain? If you have a scope does it have a camera attached?

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
The stores are closed now but I will buy apples to morrow and make sauce and the ACV. The berry juice I bought has no sugar or artificial sweeteners, no preservatives. Just juice and water. Jacob is drinking the oatmeal broth mixed with harrisons and a little berry juice. So he is getting fluids and some nourishment. He refuses to eat any solid or semi solid foods (like the mash). I will talk to the vet tomorrow and see what antibiotics she sent me and then check with the other vet to see if she has some. The thing is though that the pharmacy is only open for couple of hours on saturdays and closed on sundays.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I see you are a Biologist, do you have access to a micro scope? Do you know how to do a gram stain? If you have a scope does it have a camera attached?

gary
I learned how to do a gram stain when I was in university, it's not difficult but where I work we don't work with microbes. So no microscope or the colorings needed to do the gram stain.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good to see Jacob is eating and drinking!

You need to try and get antibiotics this weekend even if you don't use them!

gary

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad to see he is doing a bit better :)

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I hope Jacob gets better, You are doing a great Job. Is he still throwing up?
I think it is wonderful that the Vet is sending you the meds he needs. Sounds like this Vet really cares. Jacob has been added to my prayers.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis my thoughts are with you and Jacob. You have gotten some very good advice. Please keep us updated. :hug8:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Well Jacob just threw up again. I was hoping it had stopped since he hadn't for several hours and he had been drinking the oatmeal broth. After he threw up he wanted to go to his toy shelf and he is there now scampering about chewing foot toys. I offered him some water and he drank quite a bit. It's past his bedtime and I want to put him into his cage and cover it but I also want to keep an eye on him...

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
All I can offer are good thoughts and prayers. Get well, Jacob.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Herdis hang in there. Hopefully you can get your supplies at the store tomorrow. Just remember Jacob needs his rest too. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I agree that he needs his rest, is he where you can hear him during the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.