• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jacob is at the vet (heartbreaking update post #145)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t think I said about thin on AA, but I did put it up on my IG, Jacob was hobbling (front legs), After observing for a day to be sure it wasn´t him walking on a ¨sleeping¨ leg, I took him to the vet a week ago. He got an anti-inflammatory injection, prescribed some probiotics, and meloxicam. She advised he take a supplement for his joints after this is over.
After a day or two he stopped hobbling around. But now he seems stiff, like the Tin man.

After the check up today, I was advised to have x-rays done and a full analysis so they can choose the best course of action going forward. They will do 3 x-rays; hips, neck/collar, and something else... I can´t remember what she said.
They also want to check how his dysplasia has progressed.

They said they could squeeze him in there and then so I left him there and came home alone.... The look on his face through the window as I walked away, like he felt so abandoned! :sad3:

I´ve been told to call at 4pm to see how things are going, or they would call me if he can leave sooner. They do all the work in house as it´s a hospital (the same place I now use for the birds).
I just hope he behaves well and doesn´t get into any trouble... I did tell her that he doesn´t like ¨intruders¨, which he demonstrated by growling at a woman who came to the window while I was still speaking with the vet. We´ll see... :fingerscrossed:

Edit; to add pictures in case you haven't seen Jacob before,

Last week on the way home from the vet,
IMG_20210601_153902_837.jpg

The moment he realised he was being tricked into eating medicine,
IMG_20210601_201851.jpg

Today underground setting off for the vet,
IMG_20210608_122535.jpg his eye looks foggy but it's just junk. He's been bad with it these last few days

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Jacob is beautiful. I hope they can make him comfortable so he can enjoy life.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry @Zara. I hope they can find the problem and give him relief quickly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Me too :)

He might be an old dog, as he got bluntly called today, but I will always see this,
Screenshot_20210608_150107.jpg

I'm just happy that he's got a good vet again. I really wasn't a fan of the man across the road. I miss having the lovely ladies at the previous place, they knew him since I got him but they sold the practise.
The lady vet who's seen him this time reminded me of them, loving and caring and explains things clearly. I feel he's in good hands there.

An hour to go before I call and see how he´s getting on :)

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He's so fluffy! Hope he gets some relief.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Picking him up at 7.15pm - so 3hrs 15mins.
I think they would have let me come sooner to get him but they want to give me a longer window so we can discuss the findings.
The receptionist says he´s had everything done and is now sleeping it all off :)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Gorgeous guy. Wishing him and you all the best!
I love his offended look at the medicine. Chows are so charming, even (especially?) when they’re being a little contrary.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hopefully you get some answers! I bet he'll be so happy to see you :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love his offended look at the medicine.
He looked so betrayed :lol: I´d been having a lot of luck with pills in the chicken slices, but this time he knew something was up and dropped it on the floor. The rest of the week I cooked him pasta with a pinch of fajita seasoning, and then sprinkled the probiotic over once cooled enough for him. They were little sachets from Purina.

Chows are so charming, even (especially?) when they’re being a little contrary.
He has a lot of personality. A lot of people underestimate him, even my partner does at times.
He has some seriously adorable quirks, for example, If I laugh he comes running over to find me to not miss out. Or if he hears me and my partner laughing and joking he will run to us, and if we´re hugging, he will force himself inbetween and stand in the middle so he´s included too :rolleyes: He´s such a big softie at heart, but not if you´re ¨an intruder¨.
Jacob doesn´t like toys, he never really did except as a pup. He just likes to nap, and be pampered and stroked. He LOVES being fussed over and petted, but not by strangers in the street :bignono:

AW458240_00.gif

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Jacob is such a regal looking soul. I hope his x-rays reveal a clear path to forward.
pills in the chicken slices
My Pepper eagerly took hers in a small chunk of cheddar cheese.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can still remember picking up my german shepherd from the vet after a surgery. Broke my heart to see his expression in the kennel.......

Felt the same way when I picked up MC from his surgery.

So tough to leave them in someone else's hands (even if it IS a vet).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
By the way, he's a CUTIE PIE @Zara

Gigibirds

Oh my goodness Jacob is IMPOSSIBLY adorable!!! He has such a sweet looking face, and I love chow's funny tongues!! Hoping everything goes well for him! :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My Pepper eagerly took hers in a small chunk of cheddar cheese.
Cheese works with Jacob too usually. He´s just too smart, he sussed that powder out lol. It had a smell to it so maybe he smelled it, whereas pills are odorless...

So tough to leave them in someone else's hands (even if it IS a vet).
Yes for sure! The look on his face as I left was so sad!!
I rarely leave him anywhere. I think only 3 times I´ve left him, all three were baths because it takes hours, but I was always nearby.
It takes me about 10 minutes to get to the vet so I´ll head off in 20-25 mins or so, Can´t wait to pick him up. So strange being here without him! even if he does usually sleep most of the day, it just feels different.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
aweee what a sweet face! Thankfully you have someone you are comfortable with. all animals deserve the best! :loveshower:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I hope he feels better soon :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We´re home :D
He was asleep when I turned up (surprise surprise), so I went into the office to look at the X-rays. It´s not what I was hoping for.
When we returned to the entrance to talk further, Jacob woke up and was gently tapping on the door to be let out :lol: So he joined us and laid down.

Now, while we were there, just before we left, there was a really sad event, and it kind of threw me and so I forgot my sheet of paper with all the notes!

So the vet described his hip dysplasia (which he has on both sides) as ¨serious¨. He also has elbow dysplasia on both sides. He has osteoarthritic processes all around the joints. He has something else but I can´t remember what. (after I wrote this whole post, I remembered. He said Jacob has ¨Artrosis¨, I´m struggling to find the English word for it)

He said that ultimately the only cures are those I was offered when he was 6 months old, prosthetic hips, or filing the femur bone, there is another surgery he haid about for the elbows too. But first we will try medicine because he responded well to it last week and everything came back nicely from the analysis, so the vet is happy to give him a tablet of Trocoxil. He said to use up the meloxicam first as to not waste it. Then give this tablet, then another 15 days later, then one per month. I also have some other pills, 2 per day for the joints, I can´t remember the name, but I have enough for a few days, and then I pick up a full bottle on saturday so I´ll know then the name. I think he said something about a ¨protector¨ for the joints.

It´s not the outcome I was hoping for... but I have been waiting for this day for many, many years.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope the medication is sufficient and effective for many years.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Me too. I think he said it was some newer medicine, so fingers crossed - I´m trying to remain as positive as possible. The meds have worked for him so far, and we got him to the vet pretty quick last week when he was wobbly, and the X-ray today, as you read, was an on the spot thing. Hopefully he saw a vet soon enough that the medicine will help him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.