• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Jackson chowing down on crockpot mash

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
looks yummy. Can you sure your crock pot mash recipe with us please?
thanks! sure!

kamut, sproutpeople's amber waves of grain mix, 1 cup soaked for few hours

buckwheat 1/2 cup

green lentils 1/2 cup

whole chili peppers handful

AO eat your veggies dried veggie mix 1/2 cup

water to cover about three inches deep.

cooked on low setting all night. Don't know why it turned brown!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Awe Cute Jackson Looks like he approves of his yummy mash.:):heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
wow cute crockpot is a hit!!! good job Jackson!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is too cute! I showed the video to Bella telling her that mash is good and she turned her back to Jackson

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
thanks! sure!

kamut, sproutpeople's amber waves of grain mix, 1 cup soaked for few hours

buckwheat 1/2 cup

green lentils 1/2 cup

whole chili peppers handful

AO eat your veggies dried veggie mix 1/2 cup

water to cover about three inches deep.

cooked on low setting all night. Don't know why it turned brown!
I sort of copied you - not exactly the same ingredients, but close. So much easier cooking all the grains and beans in the crock pot rather than separately in saucepans on the cooktop. I think it turns out as more of a "mash" this way, instead of a "chop". Hope they like it. Anyway, here's how it turned out. Just got to bag it all up for the freezer now.
IMG_2909.JPG IMG_2910.JPG

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I sort of copied you - not exactly the same ingredients, but close. So much easier cooking all the grains and beans in the crock pot rather than separately in saucepans on the cooktop. I think it turns out as more of a "mash" this way, instead of a "chop". Hope they like it. Anyway, here's how it turned out. Just got to bag it all up for the freezer now.
View attachment 260817 View attachment 260818

looks awesome!!! I'm going to copy your addition of greens idea!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
looks awesome!!! I'm going to copy your addition of greens idea!
I couldn't find any dried veggies to add to the crockpot, so after the crockpot ingredients were cooked, I added in all the raw fresh veggies that I had on hand (kale, sugar snap peas, coriander, summer squash, carrots, zucchini). Also some organic shredded coconut, some hulled sesame seeds & hulled millet. Also, to the crockpot to cook, I added some pumpkin & sweet potato.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Sound yummy:p I will have to give the recipe a try!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I couldn't find any dried veggies to add to the crockpot, so after the crockpot ingredients were cooked, I added in all the raw fresh veggies that I had on hand (kale, sugar snap peas, coriander, summer squash, carrots, zucchini). Also some organic shredded coconut, some hulled sesame seeds & hulled millet. Also, to the crockpot to cook, I added some pumpkin & sweet potato.
thanks for the info! it looks great!

Reactions: TWR

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So far, they won't eat it :(
oh darn!! that's not fun after making such a big batch! Only one of mine is eating it, and he loves it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What a good boy Jackson! Someone else beat me to asking about the ingredients… I use kamut, pearled faro, pearled barley, regular barley, split peas, lentils, and halfway through cooking the grains I add carrot, sweet potato, and apple that I put in my oscar first so the bits are tiny and harder for them to pick out. In a separate pot I cook vegetable pastas, rinse them when done and package separately for freezing. Other vegetables I add to the evening cooked grains are finely diced every evening and are usually the same every day … zucchini, green bell pepper, sugar snap peas, broccoli ( not the flower end) and what ever else is on hand… oh… and I do three thin slices of apple, finely dice and nuke for 20 seconds to keep it from turning brown when I add it to my cup of grains and other veggies. The apple is mainly to entice them to eat more of the whole mix. If I want them to eat more of any vegetable per se I give them a chunk early in the day they can shred or eat…. the color of poo usually indicates whether they actually ate any carrot, red bell pepper, etc. :D Anytime I change up too many ingredients they don't eat much until they figure out it's what will be served. I have a doctors appointment soon and will have to visit the nature store north of me to look at other organic grains. It takes me too long each evening to do my custom mix… but I'm also snacking on the vegetables I'm chopping. I mean…. Like I would really open my fridge and pull vegetables out to eat for me…. NOT! LOL…. the birds make me eat healthier!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oops… forgot a couple of my ingredients…. in my cooked pot of grains I also add at least a cup of sliced almonds and a half cup or more of wild rice.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
oops again… making dinner for Lola and Henry and saw the bag of cooked chick peas in the freezer… I pull six or seven of those out of the bag and chop them up to throw in the evening mix. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. It's hard to tell what they like the most out of their mix but I see them with their heads in their bowls for quite a long time and they'll always go to their pellet bowl and eat those after the cooked food. You have to know I clean up pretty giant poo every night before locking them up…:wtf:

PS… never knew I liked chick peas until I made them for the birds. :)