• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Jackdaw with white lumps on legs

Sandy05

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Csoma Alexandra
Hello! I have a jackdaw for more than a year and in the last month, white-ish pimple like lumps appeared on his legs and the lower right leg joint (right above the phalanges) has swollen. I went with him to the vet (regular, as in not a wildlife expert or avian expert, we don't have any avian expert around a +500km distance) but he doesn't seem to know what he has. The vet gave me some ointment for the inflamed joint and a vitamin solution to use in the drinking water.
Does anyone know what it could be?

Birt stats
Age over 1 year (had him since he was a fledgeling). No outside contact since he was taken.
Aprox. length 28cm, average weight 175g.
He is hyperactive most of the time.

Main living area conditions
2.5m x 4.5m enclosed balcony (shaded area of the building) with ceramic tiles on the floor. Has a wooden house (situated aprox 1.5 m above the floor) interior, roof and front acces sides are covered with HDPE plastic sheets (for easier cleaning and to prevent him from eating wood splinters) and a plastic grate in front of the house, as a perch substitute.

We let him in the house and interact with him during the day so he doesn't feel lonely.

He bathes almost every day.
I also try to let him sunbathe as frequently as I can (with windows open for unfiltered UV).

DIET
Water (tap water 6.5 PH, hardness 1.5 german degrees, residual chlorine 0.55mg/l), stored in a glass recipient.

Main: Purina one junior dry kibbles (cat food), a paste (made from grinded oat flakes, walnuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, blueberries), dried mealworms, dried cranberries. In the last 5 months, I added calcium carbonate powder (zoo med repticalcium) 1cc per ounce of paste.

Occasionally eaten (more frequently to less)
Above paste ingrediets (except pumpkin seeds), superworms (live and frozen), black cherry or sour cherry (without pits), peach slices, raw pumpkin seeds, raw beef or chicken breast pieces.
When he was younger (about 8 months ago), meat was in the main category.

Recently added (last 2 months)
Crickets (live and frozen), bio biscuits (no added sugars or flavors, sodium 0.17g/100g, sodium bicarbonate 0.5g/100g).

Doesn't eat
Eggs (raw, boiled or scrambled), apple or pear slices, any type of grapes, banana slices, red bell peppers, carrot slices, green peas, boiled chickpeas, corn (fresh on the cob or in any form, cooked or raw), wheat grains (soaked in water or boiled) seeds or cereals in general. Also tried Versele Laga Nutribird pellets (Beo Komplet and Uni Komplet) and insect patee.

Symptoms
White pimple like lumps on the legs (only on the lateral and interior sides of the lower legs), some sneezes (rerely), inflamed (red and swollen) lower leg joint (right above the phalanges) that has already healed. The white pimples remained and have streched vertically on the lateral sides of the legs.

Other (potentially relevant)
Droppings are quite often watery but in two forms: no white in the urine and the fecal part is also inconsistent or the fecal part is solid/semi solid and there is no white in the urine part.
"Normal" droppings are solid/semi solid with small or large quantities of white urine.
Sometimes, one or both feet are very warm to the touch.
I don't know how much speed flying endurance the jackdaws have, but mine is tired after about 1 to 2 minutes of sprinting and overheats (spreads wings and opens beak to cool off).
After 10-15 min of sunbathing (moderate sun heat intensity), he makes hissing sounds while he tries to cool off.

IMG-20220725-WA0000.jpg IMG-20220701-WA0001.jpg IMG-20220701-WA0004.jpg IMG-20220701-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:

Sandy05

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Csoma Alexandra
Some recent pics
IMG_20220801_175809__01.jpg IMG_20220801_175518__01.jpg IMG_20220801_174612.jpg