• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ivermectin?help!!

elvia

Moving in
hi i bought ivermectin 0.1% for my budgie as she has a case for scaly mites. The directions state that it is 1 drop for a 60g birb. But my budgie is 30g, so half a drop? or 1drop
Thanks,

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh gosh, are you sure that is safe to use on Budgies? Sorry, I know nothing about scaly mites except what Google tells me, so hopefully others here will weigh in.

elvia

Moving in
hi i bought ivermectin 0.1% for my budgie as she has a case for scaly mites. The directions state that it is 1 drop for a 60g bird. But my budgie is 30g, so half a drop? or 1drop
Thanks,
This is the one i bought:
B50FC153-E8D7-497B-9F38-F9B4B7859B1D.png 60F994CB-59D9-4BBE-A961-82A2330B1C6D.png

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Can you provide some ( clear ) photos of your budgie? How do you know your budgie weighs 30 grams? Do you have a gram scale?

elvia

Moving in
Can you provide some ( clear ) photos of your budgie? How do you know your budgie weighs 30 grams? Do you have a gram scale?
This is the clearest picture i have of my budgie and we know her weight as the last time we went to the vet, they weighed her and stated that she was 37g
C50EB84E-3226-4F2D-B5F6-014D138A5EE3.jpeg

elvia

Moving in
Boy, bless her little heart. It does look like a bad infection of scaley mites. When was your last visit?

I'm tagging another member that has more experience with scaley mites and medications @finchly
my last visit was in november where she had a fungal infection so when she started developing the crusts on her cere and beak we potentially thought it was the fungus. we went back a weak later and the vet said she was perfectly normal, she is an avian vet so i was quite confused. it was only until i googled it that i found about scaly face mites. she’s the only avian vet near me but i’m not sure if i place my full trust into her now or not

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Looks like scaly mites in the beak as well as the feet. The ivermectin you bought is the right product, please only use 1/2 dose because of your baby’s weight.
It wil stay in the system for 21 days, so mark your calendar and give the next dose EXACTLY on the right day. Then count 21 days and apply it once again.

You might hear a suggestion to put Vaseline on its feet or beak, please don’t do that. It can cause an infection to start up on the skin. Also don’t try to pick the scales off; that very painful to your bird.

elvia

Moving in
Looks like scaly mites in the beak as well as the feet. The ivermectin you bought is the right product, please only use 1/2 dose because of your baby’s weight.
It wil stay in the system for 21 days, so mark your calendar and give the next dose EXACTLY on the right day. Then count 21 days and apply it once again.

You might hear a suggestion to put Vaseline on its feet or beak, please don’t do that. It can cause an infection to start up on the skin. Also don’t try to pick the scales off; that very painful to your bird.
thank you so much, you really helped !:)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
please only use 1/2 dose
The problem (as I read it) is if this is oil based - it can't be diluted 50/50 with water to give a 1 drop dose. I don't see a way to measure half a drop.
The one I've used is 0.01%, 3 drops per budgie.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The problem (as I read it) is if this is oil based - it can't be diluted 50/50 with water to give a 1 drop dose. I don't see a way to measure half a drop.
The one I've used is 0.01%, 3 drops per budgie.
And yet it’s for small birds. :huh:

Wonder if their documentation is wrong? Wouldn’t be the first product with that issue.

good catch, @Ripshod

When I do these partial drop things, I draw it up in a pipette and apply without squeezing. So just touching the skin.

elvia

Moving in
And yet it’s for small birds. :huh:

Wonder if their documentation is wrong? Wouldn’t be the first product with that issue.

good catch, @Ripshod

When I do these partial drop things, I draw it up in a pipette and apply without squeezing. So just touching the skin.
oh okay thank you i’ll use a pipette!