• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've returned!!

LynxSoot

Moving in
I haven't been on this forum again for a year now. The last time I had come on this forum I was incredibly uneducated and wanted to get a GALAH as a first bird. I got very defensive over people telling me off for it and now, thanks to the people on the forum, I have fortunately not gotten a bird since :D I've come around again after tons of research, frequent emails to bird blogs, and visiting avian stores for info on birds in general! I am happy to say I will not be getting a bird, especially anything to do with a Galah, for a few more years. However, with that research, I have decided upon possibly getting a Cockatiel instead (excuse my bad spelling of bird names thus far). I've settled things with my parents and got rid of hazardous materials around the house and prepared for such a bird. Is there anything I should know before making the commitment in a few years?

Edit: I'd also like to apologize for how out of the blue I was. I understand now how some of my research (especially comments on the diet!) were quite dumb. I thank you all for being VERY patient with me during the whole situation and being kind during the process. Again, thank you.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome back! It is a definitely a sign of a mature, responsible young person to take the time to learn and educate yourself on bird care. It's definitely not something to be taken likely. Cockatiels are wonderful birds. I think the main thing is just to keep in mind that cockatiels can live a long time. I have one now who is 32. There are a lot of older, wonderful tiels out there in need of loving homes. Tiels are dusty birds. So not good in a household with anyone who has any type of breathing/lung condition like asthma. They also can be prone to night frights. So I always keep a night light on for mine when they go to bed.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Cockatiels can be very destructive, their beak will want to chew everything!! :lol: mine is extremely curious and mischievous.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you do get a cockatiel, please post pictures. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome back :hiya:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road