• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've got a sick horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
My grey mare, Blu has a swollen gland with a scab on it on her chest just under the right leg. Probably a tick infection that will require me to give her an antibiotic injection, hoping it's not more. Waiting for the vet to call back.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry and hope everything gets better for your horse :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry Wendy. I hope whatever it turns out to be it is something simple and easy to treat.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I hope it is nothing to serious :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh no..positive thoughts on the way!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I always worry about ticks with my horse. :( I hope she'll be ok! :hug8:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Awww I hope it's nothing worse!
Sending healing thoughts to Blu!! :hug8:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Ok, he finally called. It was a suggestion to go ahead and give her an antibiotic injection intramuscular. Did, she's all taken care of for now, so it's just to watch and see how it goes.

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
do you get paralysis ticks over there like they do in aussie? Those things scare the bejeesus outta me

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
Is it where the girth would rub? I hate that. My old Polish Arab got a foxtail in a tonsil & it abscessed out the side of his neck, right where his bridle's throat latch would hit it. Couldn't ride until the hair was 100% grown back! I hope it's something simple & doesn't need lancing. Sending positive ju-ju your way that the AB takes care of it! :hug8:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
It's on the "underarm" area of where the leg comes together with the chest but on the front of her. It doesn't feel hot, it's not "connected" to her or hard, it's actually causing the area to hang down and wobble - it does have a scab like she get's from ticks - she would always get a big, nasty swollen scab with any ticks, not like the Thoroughbred, he never seemed to have many or any reactions to them. I'm just wondering if one got infected, it swelled up and now it's going down. She let me touch it, squeeze gently to see if anything came out, no discharge. She didn't flinch even. She even took the injection into her neck fairly well, just shaking with pinned ears after, but no flinch or jumping when I did it - thank goodness. She is more spooky than Shadow and more likely to throw her head up or rear if scared. Good deal so far. Hope it clears up. Cold weather coming full time now so the ticks should go away! Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:hug8:Don't like it when any of our animals are sick!
Good job!:hug8:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Gonna check her out this morning some time. The vet really did not seem too concerned so I'm taking a cue from him. If all is good we are gonna put their jiggle butts to work and ride a bit anyway - supposed to be in the mid 50s but a bit windy. Usually its like 20 degrees this time of year so better get one last ride in before winter sets in and I have to worry about icey trails. They have a new load of beet pulp to fatten up on for winter as of this morning so I'll never drag her away towards the stable and house if she sees that - piggy girl.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Update! Yay, the antibiotic took effect, the swelling is WAY down and the scab is crusted over. I found another tick on her all scabbed up and even one on Shadow - no scabs. She is just so darn reactive! That one must have had some nasty bacteria. Poor gal. Well, a good hard 36-48 hours of frozen weather should put those darn ticks down for good this fall and be done with it until spring. I usually use a tick and fly spray on them as well as some "top spot" type tick stuff in the spring and summer. It's not quite as effective this time of the year for some reason, maybe due to the winter woolie hair they have grown. Fuzzy wuzzy horsies! Anyway, good deal. I'm relieved!!

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
What a relief - good for you. My horse had something similar once (same spot too) and, long story short, an inpatient visit to Tufts, surgery, etc., etc., and $5000 later, he was fine for the next 18 years. Glad yours went well. Enjoy your ride!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
She let me touch it, squeeze gently to see if anything came out, no discharge.
----------------------------------------

I'm glad she is doing better.

A drawing salve works great to for expelling anything under the skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.