• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've been searching... New addition?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've been a little off. A little less present. In the worst grief. Many of you know that I lost my best friend of 13 years last month. I could not stand the house or the car or the furniture or outside. I brought home a foster dog about 10 days later. It has only helped by keeping my routine, really. Monaco's former mom insisted I look for my next forever dog, and she also insisted that it helped her a lot when hers passed in March. So off I went to websites, and met dogs, got rejected by numerous rescues, found ridiculous crosses on Craigslist, discovered that shelties have increased in price fourfold in almost 15 years.

I'm exhausted! And there's something about emotional exhaustion that gets into your bones... I guess I'm bone tired. I hope that's what that means.

Anyway I had a visit with a lovely little border collie cross, and then a home visit yesterday to see what Monaco would think. I still don't want to think of her as mine until the paperwork is done. These rescues have done a number on my ptsd triggers. It's easier to get a foster human. I will still have another sheltie some day, but for now...

And, please cross your fingers nothing goes wrong this evening...

Please meet "Mayday" (I'll be changing that right quick!) a very small bc cross who lost a leg after a car accident, a little less than a year old, super smart, responsive to my corrections right away, and courteous with everyone...
IMG_20200720_140037_01.jpg

She doesn't know it yet, but she's destined for epic ball games and lots of fun training, a friend in my mom's sheltie, and a pretty decent life here. I had to stop in the middle of this to cry about Theo, but I think he would approve of this girl. Here's to wiggle dogs, old and new!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She´s lovely :swoon: I hope all goes well for you all :hug9:

Once all the paperwork is done, I´d love to hear her new name once it is chosen :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
What a stunning girl!

I myself got my Alphie soon after we lost our doxin of 7 years, he was an older dog when I adopted him but the years I was granted with him were so healing for me. If I had the space currently I’d of adopted again for my Mastiff to have a companion.

I wish you nothing but love and amazing memories with this girl. :heart: Keep us updated!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope things work out and you get to take "Mayday" home with you.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am crossing my fingers and toes for you! I agree with some rescues just demanding and way over the top!

I have a BC mix and she is by far the smartest dog I have ever experienced. A manipulative one at that too. But ever so loving! She has been in my bed everynight that I have been home for almost 14 years and she still acts like a puppy, or banshee but she is wicked active for a 14 year old.

Best of luck, I know it will happen.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What an engaging face she has! Crossing my fingers everything works out.

clarousel

He's beautiful! He reminds me of my dog who's passed a few years ago :')

Hope it all works out for both of you!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I adore tripods! They show us how to accept what life throws at us with enthusiastic determination.
You will be approved. ;)

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, guys! She is home! My face is leaking, but we're having a good time. She caught her ball, and I coaxed her feet onto a step with treats already! I think we're both ready for a nap... It's been a long day. IMG_20200722_222439.jpg IMG_20200722_222432.jpg

Her first time on a couch...she certainly looks like she's already a pro at couch surfing.
20200722_210637_01.jpg

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congrats! I just knew she'd be yours. :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've settled on "Bella" with Maybel as the transition. She is scary smart. I'm going to have my hands full.

Monaco seems to like her, and that is going to be so helpful. I have been preparing for angry screaming, irritated bird repercussions.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
By the time I got settled and ready for a nap about 8pm, somebody surprised me with a try at hopping on the steps for the bed! We worked on "up" several times today, and we got as far as both feet lifted and on something. She seemed worried about balance, so I didn't go any further. Anyway, she attempted and kept trying until she got all the way to the bed (3 levels)!!!

No mess or accidents when I got home from work a bit ago! Such a good girl!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that things worked out and he is now home with you!