• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've been putting this off for a long time...

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I can't stand only having one bird in the house.
Porter can't stand being alone in the animal room and is constantly getting more and more aggressive when it happens.
I need to have a 'flock' at least two birds so that neither bird is alone.
I'm thinking on finally getting a Parrotlet... I just don't know how to go about doing it
I've found a few breeders but have heard nothing from them as of yet.

Anyone know of breeders in the Dallas/Houston/Tex Arkana area?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any rescues near you?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I've checked and no there are no bird rescues in Shreveport Louisiana
It looks like I'm going to have to head out towards Dallas to get one.

Reactions: Ali

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
You could also try talkparrotlets.com. The members there may also know of breeders in the areas that would help you. All the best in your search. :)

Reactions: Ali

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Is a budgie a possibility? They are so gregarious they may be more accepting of Porter around.

Parrotlets, though I love my two dearly, can be explosively emotional. I don't keep canary winged parakeets so you probably know better than I do, but if Porter can be a little protective of his space it may create tension between the two. Maybe a a few budgies can add to some chatter and be a little more easy going?

I am only brainstorming :) Parrolets are super fun birds, so I do respect and understand your interest in them!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I just lost my budgie.
Her name was Fuggles and I can't bare to get another one.
Porter doesn't like other birds, but he also doesn't like being alone, he watches the other bird and enacts flock behaviors but doesn't like them near.
I had seperate out times for fuggles and Porter.
I've been wanting a Parrotlet for a good long time and it seems as good a time as any to get one.

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
Paroletts r not friendly to other birds.I have 4, I have to keep them in a separate area from all my 61 other breeds.They all fly free until 5 pm daily.I love my Parrotletts great fun if u have time to train ,otherwise they get bitey at everything.3 of mine r rescues an 1 given as gift. Wish u luck ,hope u find some great birds!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I just lost my budgie.
Her name was Fuggles and I can't bare to get another one.
Porter doesn't like other birds, but he also doesn't like being alone, he watches the other bird and enacts flock behaviors but doesn't like them near.
I had seperate out times for fuggles and Porter.
I've been wanting a Parrotlet for a good long time and it seems as good a time as any to get one.
I 100% understand. I am very sorry I brought up sad memories of missing your little love, Fuggles. :( My heart aches for your loss.

If sounds like it is time to keep searching for your parrotlets. Which colour do you like best? I personally love the wild colouration, Green. Though my two boys Blue and as a Turquoise are very striking.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I 100% understand. I am very sorry I brought up sad memories of missing your little love, Fuggles. :( My heart aches for your loss.

If sounds like it is time to keep searching for your parrotlets. Which colour do you like best? I personally love the wild colouration, Green. Though my two boys Blue and as a Turquoise are very striking.
I'm not picky on color, I'll take what I can find at this point xD
I'm partial to the greens to be honest.
Yay! Fellow natural color lovers!

I’m not sure if there‘s something similar for Parrotlets, but while I was researching Linnies I came across a program called “It’s Not Easy Being Green” and any breeders that are part of it breed their blues (and other mutations) back to their greens every three generations so that natural green coloration doesn’t disappear like it almost has in Parrotlets.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yay! Fellow natural color lovers!

I’m not sure if there‘s something similar for Parrotlets, but while I was researching Linnies I came across a program called “It’s Not Easy Being Green” and any breeders that are part of it breed their blues (and other mutations) back to their greens every three generations so that natural green coloration doesn’t disappear like it almost has in Parrotlets.
I think part of that reason is why mutations are most common as companions. They are the sorta "experiments", from the combinations that the breeders tried. Though not always the best to breed again. There are some pretty bold and diverse mutations. Though from health and beauty you can't beat the greens. They are beautiful! All birds can get cancers, tumors or illness no matter the colour...but mutation do seem to have unique challenges. I recently heard that some mutation cockatiels don't see the same spectrum of light and some are prone to blindness.

In Australia the Greens are nearly 4x the cost of blues. At least when I looked, mutation were between 200-350 ish, and the greens were 800+.

Does this help @Porter Parrotlet Breeders in the United States / Sorted by U.S. State | Beauty of Birds