• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ivan laid an egg again

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Hello, my female tiel Ivan has just laid an egg after her first time 8 months ago. I'd like to know if this is normal or does this mean she's a chronic egg layer. She's a year and a half old

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So she started laying when she was 10 months old? Laying once every eight months is not chronic, but with cockatiels you always want to keep track of when they lay and how many eggs that they lay. Also, letting her sit on the clutch until she herself abandons the eggs can be be helpful in preventing frequent re-laying. How is her diet? Does she take in enough calcium?

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
So she started laying when she was 10 months old? Laying once every eight months is not chronic, but with cockatiels you always want to keep track of when they lay and how many eggs that they lay. Also, letting her sit on the clutch until she herself abandons the eggs can be be helpful in preventing frequent re-laying. How is her diet? Does she take in enough calcium?
Thanks for responding. I know to leave the full clutch in so she doesn't keep laying. Her diets good and she has a cuttle bone which she eats off. I was worried this could be chronic laying but then looked it up and the article stated twice a year is normal.Feel sorry for her, she's a trooper but she'd rather be out with me. Thanks