• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's that time of year again! Freelands Gypsy Vanners

pinkharley

Jogging around the block
they just got him up took over half hour was laying flat on ground and was hardly moving

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The colt is fine. He was nursing and laid down to sleep. Someone called and got the owners all upset saying the baby collapsed. He is up nursing and running around.

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
He's probably exhausted, it didnt look like he found the milk very easily. Now- he is jumping around and walking pretty well.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good. There are many established horse people that keep watch and will notify Beth if they see something wrong!

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
The colt is fine. He was nursing and laid down to sleep. Someone called and got the owners all upset saying the baby collapsed. He is up nursing and running around.
Oh, goodness... he may have looked like he collapsed, those legs are so long, and he's still getting used to them, and probably so exhausted. Not so very graceful yet laying down. Sleep, eat, practice legs...thats it for now...lol

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
What a freakin' lil character!! Cantering around momma already!!

Gimmee a belly full O milk!!!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been watching and reading their site. Gosh last night was so difficult for Polly. I saw two of the other births also.... These mares have foals, year after year. Polly has been in the US since 2004 and this is her 7th. or 8th. foal. Is this their life?

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
That can happen with any Mare of any age- a difficult birth. These horses are obviously well cared for and well loved, and have any help they need from their Vet.... They lead a better life than many. What do you imagine happens in the wild? Many mares and foals die giving birth in the wild. I know my sis only has her mares bred a few times, but she does it for quality hunter & dressage horses. Not as a business of selling horses. Mares are always exhausted after birth, some more difficult than others. Did you watch a few of the summertime videos, like the one calling the horses in? The mares all come running, with their colts/fillies beside them. To me, it looks like they have a very wonderful life. :)

Here is a little info...:
Horses are mammals, and like all mammals give birth to live offspring who are nourished for the first part of their life by their mother's milk. A mare can only produce one foal per year. A stallion is capable of producing around two hundred foals per year. A mare is capable of producing a foal at about eighteen months of age, but it is healthier for mare and foal if the mare is at least four years old. A stallion can start breeding mares as early as two years (in some cases earlier), but it is healthier for the young stallion if breeding does not begin until four years. In both cases, early breeding may affect growth. A mare may continue carrying foals until they are in their late twenties. A stallion may continue breeding mares into his twenties, although his potency will decline.

Foals are able to walk and run a few hours after birth. They may nibble grass, concentrate or hay within a few days after birth, although their mother’s milk will be the main source of nutrition. They may be weaned from their mothers as early as three months after birth, although many breeders choose to leave mares and foals together longer. Although feral horses mate and give birth without the attention of a veterinarian, many problems can be circumvented by having the stallion checked before breeding, and mare checked and cared for properly during the gestation period.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is with a sad heart that I must report that Joanie who just foaled Black Velvet about a week ago has passed away. She developed a severe case of colic and her bowel inverted. They worked hard to try and save her but to no avail. Please keep Freelands and little Velvet in your prayers. Thank you. :shy:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for their loss. I hope that Velvet will be alright.

Matt

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
It is very sad to hear. :( Unfortunately it happens, and there is nothing that can be done at times. I know that they did everything that they could to save her. I am sure Velvet will be well cared for. Hopefully they can find a surrogate mom for her.

I worked with people who bred Arabs they had a mare that acted as "mom" to many babies. Some because they lost their mom, some because mom rejected them. We had neighbors who would also bring their foals to her to raise. (Even though she did not nurse the babies she did mother them in all other ways). Hopefully they have a mare who can do much the same for Velvet. The mother/baby bond is one that is important for mental well being.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
I had a horse in my friend's club that passed away from colic… sooo sad, I know the pain. Rest in peace Joanie and Jerry :sad7:

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Anyone know why Velvet is in the barn all alone???? The other stalls are empty and one looks to have the door kicked in :cautious:

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Anyone know why Velvet is in the barn all alone???? The other stalls are empty and one looks to have the door kicked in :cautious:
Joanie passed away suddenly on Sunday from colic… so sad :sad1:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted above that Joanie passed away this past Sunday from severe colic and inverted bowel. They are hand feeding Velvet and trying to connect her with another horse as a friend.