• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Its bobwhite quail time! *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Introducing my juvenile bobwhite quail flock. I got them August 10 of this year when they were only a couple weeks old. I chose bobwhite because I think they are beautiful & I really adore their vocalizations & I wanted something different from the typical button or coturnix quail that people keep. 5 individuals out of 7 survived & it is still too soon to tell their genders as they are still partially in their juvenile plumage. Bobwhite quail are very slow to mature, unlike button quail & coturnix quail. I am not raising them for meat or eggs, I'm just raising them because I think they are adorable & I really enjoy their little vocalizations & whistles. I feed them gamebird/showbird feed with Safflower Gold mixed in along with greens, fruits, millet spray, crickets & meal worms as treats a few times a week. They get crushed oyster shell in their "dust bath" pan of sand & drink out of a glass small animal drinking bottle. I have them in my back screened in lanai in a large rabbit hutch that I purchased specifically for them. They do NOT like to be handled -- at all. That is typical of bobwhite though. A friend is incubating some valley quail eggs right now & I will raise a pair of them for pets, too. Valley quail tame easily. Back to my bobwhites, here are their photos. Watch them mature to the present...

Couple weeks old (when I first got them):

About a month old:

Their hutch (I've since added a shelter & dust bath pan in there):

Quail ballet! LOL Hopping around in their sand "dust bath" pan:

Sometimes they flush out of the hutch when I'm changing the food or sand (There are 2 in this photo. Can you find them?):

Even quail enjoy rope Boings! LOL

I
f you would like to see more photos & descriptions please view their photo gallery found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/sets/72157627405097602

I
'll keep you guys updated with photos of special moments as they happen :) Hope you enjoy seeing my little covey of quail :swoon:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Here is a beautiful example of the sexual dimorphism in adult bobwhite. Male w/ white face, female with tan face: Northern Bobwhite pair

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
They are adorbale!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are beautiful!

Matt

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They are so cute, I love Quail’s. :)

In the 3rd last photo, I see one up on the plant, and one on the plant next to it on the bottom. :p

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Thanks guys! I love 'em :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.