• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It's been a while .. back with an update on my sport Tango the DYH Amazon

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
I have been distraught as my sweet snuggle bird has been taken away!!!! We have a group of parrot fanciers that have a club where I live and they took him and 2 other of my birds. I had a serious cancer diagnosis, had to go into hospital, called for help --- of course I was upset, I had cancer surgery the next day, my hubby just lost his job, and our cockatoo was not being handled well by his partner my hubby. I called for help as I was going to need to have peace to have a recovery in a few days. I just wanted the Cockatoo to be taken to his previous owner at the time, but the Parrot group of society here insisted to take all 3 of them --- including Tango who needs special care due to his sensitivity to dehydration and breathing issues. Anyway I ask for prayers or words of hope as I try to have him returned. After talking to the Humane Society where I got him, and he is totally in my name, they suggested to call the police since they considered it theft. My hubby signed a surrender paper the day after I was operated on --- which is invalid according to a lawyer I spoke to on the issue because he is not owner. (this is Canada so laws may be different elsewhere) --- I called to ask if there was hope of getting him back and the response was reasonably positive, but then they changed their mind. They say they are sending a cease and desist letter to me relating to what I have put on social media that they don't like --- I received no personal concern or consideration when I called for help from this supposedly non-judgmental, group of parrot enthusiasts -- they refer to my phone call for help as "She was in hysterics and lost her shizz --- how delightful eh? Well its because of that I have been extremely motivated to have him returned to me. The lawyer basically said the letter threat, and an ensuing letter is meaningless as I have sole ownership of this parrot. That's the short of it. But thank God I took the advice to contact a lawyer and now preparing for any Civil litigation I may have to do to proceed. Why the heck would a parrot club take an older, extremely well cared for parrot (I spend all day with him and even a sniffle gets him off to our avian vet). I am feeling very much better after I received the legal opinion of my case. It's just too bad if I have to spend what will now be our retirement savings to do this when they should have just given him back on my return from the hospital. Thank you for listening --- in our city it is my mistake I did not call the Humane Society first because they have a program to help people in that situation to keep the animal in safe-keeping until I was able to heal after surgery and have him home. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or similar stories. I have started a Twitter page to urge for support to be given to people with parrots who have been displaced or gone for any reason --- we love our birds .... the but human being's caring for them for years deserve emotional etc. support from somewhere to get through these things. We all focus on our birds sometimes more care that if it was a child, - millions of resource available to provide a healthy and enriching life when you have a parrot in the home, but if something like this happens, the human's are often left with no support. If you wish I will up date this. If anyone is suffering from losing a bird for any reason feel free to ask for the resource link I have been working on. All the best to you all and the wonderful companions we all need to cherish. .. Cheers, Tina in Calgary. -- my old thread on my parrot Tango is here ::: Ever seen an Amazon that looks Like This Here's Tango? SJ34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I hope you get your birds (are you trying to get them all back?) Please keep us updated

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
I hope you get your birds (are you trying to get them all back?) Please keep us updated
Thank you, I have enough energy to deal with my first and dear bird only at this moment. My husband says he doesn't think its a good idea to have the cockatoo back in our condo (thank goodness, we've had so many complaints), and if all looks like it will be going well with Tango I will consider what to do about the African Grey --- the President of this club kept her apparently as his just passed - I will have to see if I have the resources left for that one.. Also, she solely under my name on the adoption papers from the Calgary Humane Society.

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
I have had so much fun doing TikTok videos with Tango and the other too, thought I'd see if I can share one here. We had so much fun together.
Code:
<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="https://www.tiktok.com/@tinaincalgary/video/6897718510965820674
[URL='https://www.tiktok.com/@tinaincalgary/video/6897718510965820674?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id6991406401353156101']Tango[/URL]
https://www.tiktok.com/@tinaincalgary/video/6897718510965820674?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id6991406401353156101

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Nothing to update, I hear nothing from anyone about how they are doing or what specifically is the reason this happened as it did. I intend no ill will, just hoping for some emotional support and talk therapy, it has been so upsetting.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry to read you have been through so much lately! Please take good care of yourself, and I hope you will at least hear some news about your birds soon.