• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Its been 4 months..

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
Hello all!

For those that may not remember me, I was debating what kind of burb to bring home.. and came home with a beautiful orange winged amazon. Coco is doing amazing. She is a really sweet bird. My husband was her favorite person from the start, but she goes to everyone. She is very quiet throughout the day but does call in tge early morning and evening.. (our neighbors must be thrilled lolol) .

I am still having a hard time with her eating habits. She screams the second she sees pasta, bread or any carb. She knows the sound of tge toaster if she is in the other room. Hates all veggies and fruit! (Excluding apples). She won't even take a nutriberry! But its only been a few months, and we keep at it.

I don't think she was out of her cage much. She didn't seem to know how to play, nor even climb her ladders. She is starting to forge (yay!). And has started to climb!!!(double yay!). I am going to now introduce puzzles.. wish me luck!

My concern are her feathers. She was clipped right before we got her. I never seen anything so bad. And I am concerned. Its about 4 months I believe and they are not growing back. She can't even glide down. She gets so happy when my husband gets home that she tries to fly and just falls. My amazon that I had for 20 plus years never flew. He had a bad cut when he was a baby and he never flew. But he did learn know how to glide down. He was also great at climbing so he was always in and out of his cage whenever he wanted. She is just learning to climb and she cannot glide, she is just falling head first and I am scared to death she is going to get badly hurt. I am going to take her to get checked.. but any words of advice or encouragement until then?

I have a picture of her first bath when we first got her.. you can see the massacre. (She is never left outside btw ;) and one of tonight. She tried to get to my husband and did a head plant, my son rushed to her and got her as the dog was a little too close...

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
She looks so sweet! Her flights should take about a year to come back depending on her molting pattern I believe. Others will be here soon

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
She is beautiful. I love the picture with your son.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's lovely! I hope her flights come back in soon, but please be sure not to take her outside unharnessed or she may fly away. Was her bath outside or in a screened porch type of enclosed area?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Coco is beautiful!

That's a horrible clip - I'm not surprised that she's not even able to glide. She will eventually moult these feathers out, but how long that will take depends on where she was in the moult cycle. If the feathers were new when she was clipped, then it could take a year or two for them to be fully replaced. All you can really do is make her environment as safe as possible for her - lots of ladders and perches so she can get around, and perhaps padded areas around stands and places she likes to perch. You might like to get a portable table stand so she can accompany you around the house.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A clip like that is criminal. You can coach her a little in her gliding/landing skills by taking her into the bedroom and tossing her gently on the bed from a few feet, a few times a day. When she gets comfortable with this activity it will reduce her potential a lot for getting hurt. It will also increase her ability to fly once her feather come back in.

I'm sure you are aware that Amazons tend to be fatty pattys and are at risk for many diseases associated with obesity and a sedentary lifestyle. Diseases like atherosclerosis, fatty liver and heart problems. You should not give her much fruit since it is so high in sugars and sugar metabolizes directly to fat. The more vegetable and pellets she eats the better off she will be.

She is a beautiful Amazon.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
A clip like that is criminal. You can coach her a little in her gliding/landing skills by taking her into the bedroom and tossing her gently on the bed from a few feet, a few times a day. When she gets comfortable with this activity it will reduce her potential a lot for getting hurt. It will also increase her ability to fly once her feather come back in.

I'm sure you are aware that Amazons tend to be fatty pattys and are at risk for many diseases associated with obesity and a sedentary lifestyle. Diseases like atherosclerosis, fatty liver and heart problems. You should not give her much fruit since it is so high in sugars and sugar metabolizes directly to fat. The more vegetable and pellets she eats the better off she will be.

She is a beautiful Amazon.
Agree, it is painful to see a clip job like this.