• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It's a girl! (They've arrived!)

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
In my previous thread I stated I was expecting two babies this week and one of them was a mystery as far as gender. Well, they're here and the goose is a girl! This marks a new chapter in raising and living with waterfowl, for me!

Welcome Lilith, the Blue Indian Runner Duckling, and Angel, the Embden Gosling!

This is their sleepy time area.

This is Angel, the Embden Goose

This is Lilith, the Blue Indian Runner Duck

Sleepy~

Enjoying a pretty day~

I would have cleared out the tub and let them swim in that, but I wanted to make sure they ate enough and warmed themselves up under the brooder.

Rosco has noticed me talking to them and has steadily been yelling 'What what!' throughout the day, but it's not sounding pained. It almost sounds like he's excited! Still, as a general rule I keep waterfowl and parrots separated. I don't want anyone getting hurt.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwww they are adorable.. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Soooo cute! :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:faint: They are so adorable!!!! Congrats Mommy!

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
:heart: Little black feets :heart:

birdle

SO CUTE omg. I am in love. Please post as many pics as possible so we can see them grow. They have a great home with you :hug8:

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Thanks everyone! Here's another adorable picture of them sleeping. :heart:

They seemed to have imprinted on me. They follow me around, they cuddle up close to me and fall asleep, well, Angel does. Lilith is high energy and a little antsy, but she's so little I'd be antsy about being near hands as big as me, too! I've personally never had a duck, just a goose. I've noticed a few differences already. Ducks don't purr when they're happy. They kind of softly murmur.. They also cry differently, with shrill little 'beep beep beep's and repeatedly, where as geese will 'beep' every now and then and only a few at a time, unless they're lost, in which they'll call out loudly, a drawn out kind of 'beep' and repeat it until they've found their 'mother'.

I'll try to take daily pictures/videos. Lilith will grow up in a matter of weeks! You'll probably see a lot of rapid changes with her. Geese tend to grow slower, so it'll be some time before you even see any feathering on Angel. She'll grow in size but she'll still be a big puffy fluff ball, lol.~

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
OMG ducks!!! I love ducks!! My SO always rolls his eyes at me because I get super excited even seeing regular mallards. They're so cute!

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Such sweet pom-poms! :heart:Such cuties! I used to have ducks and I used to do EVERTHING with them. But sadly we had to put them into a pond and leave them there. They made so much mess in our backyard and ripped out the important roots from our garden. :(I still love them to this day and hope that they are still there living a happy life. Your babies are just beautiful! :xflove:

image.jpg

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awww....they are CUTE! :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They're growing up best friends :heart:

romancia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
:wacky: OMG that's just to much cuteness!! Now I want a duck :heart:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Awww youll love em. Last year for mothers day we got her two geese(a little girl named Ava and a little boy named Frank) Then a few ducklings. Two of the ducklings died (both from poisonous plants. :( ) But we added two more after that. (The ducklings are Zoey, Lola, Will, Pablo, Loiza, Fiona, and Goergia) They all are so lovey except for Frank who is a bit protective of his girls. They will still eat out of my hands and think that I am their mom. We have had TONS of others before them but they just don't live as long as you wish they would.

Owned By~ :tiel4: Stella :tieln: Reda :phros: Luna Belle

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Thanks ya'll!

Some geese have been documented as living 20 - 30 years+, so it's debatable how long domestic geese can live without interference from thing like predator attacks, accidents, poisonous plants, etc. Ducks, though, I dunno. Lilith is the first duck I've had and I can already see a big personality difference. She seems more aloof, she's more focused on playing in water, eating, and sleeping. She'll follow me but she seems more keen to Angel. Angel could care less about where Lilith is. Angel cares more about where I am and prefers sleeping snuggled up to me, where as Lilith prefers sleeping on my keyboard or on top of my arm, right next to Angel. That's ok though. <3 Geese were my first love(as far as waterfowls), so that's ok with me. Lilith can be a good weeder/pest eater, and, who knows, maybe one day she'll show a little more shining to me, but for now it seems like Angel has chosen me and Lilith has chosen Angel. :)

I'm gonna post their updates in another thread and I'll continue to post updates there when I can.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Have you ever read the book Enslaved by Ducks? Author is Bob Tartt. I think you'd really enjoy it. He and his wife end up adopting a wide variety of waterfowl (and some others, including a Grey and a really grumpy rabbit). It is a very, very funny book. I recommend it to anyone.

Love the pics of your gilrs!