• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Its a addiction

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
12 more join the flock. Well they are seperated from the adults of course. It's so hot here they olny need the heat lamp after about 4pm. Any other time they all run from it to the other end. We had a heat index of 101 yesterday. This time im putting electrolytes and probiotics in there water. We also have a little Roo. We are hoping to raise our own chicks so we wont have to buy them anymore as they are no always taken care of right. We put them in a troft with there bedding and food and water. There hen house is all set up for when they get older. Everything is in a huge out side dog kennel with a roof. My husband bought metal screen for the top to keep the mosquitoes off of them so they are very safe.

20190811_184120.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww little chicks!!!! How cute!!! :loveshower:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Are they RIR? or ISA Reds? It is hard to tell under the red light.

They are so cute :xflove:

What starter do you have them on? When my chicks are bitty babies I mix some water into the starter to soften it for them. You need to change it after a few hours doing this, but it helps them eat well when they are so tiny. After about 1 week they have an easier time eating the crumbles on their own. I also have raised bantams, so they are even tinnier and I have offered water in the feed long enough until they can manage.

It is much nicer to raise the chicks in warmer weather. I raised chicks in the winter once, keep in mind Sub Tropical Queensland winter weather, and the little dears wouldn't move from the heat lamp. You little ones are lucky they don't need the lamp all day :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
This makes me wish we could keep chickens here even more! Our local Tractor Supply gets them in every year and gives them away for free because you can't have chickens on your property :banghead: I use to have a golden batam coach hen when I was a kid, but we kept her inside since she was little.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Are they RIR? or ISA Reds? It is hard to tell under the red light.

They are so cute :xflove:

What starter do you have them on? When my chicks are bitty babies I mix some water into the starter to soften it for them. You need to change it after a few hours doing this, but it helps them eat well when they are so tiny. After about 1 week they have an easier time eating the crumbles on their own. I also have raised bantams, so they are even tinnier and I have offered water in the feed long enough until they can manage.

It is much nicer to raise the chicks in warmer weather. I raised chicks in the winter once, keep in mind Sub Tropical Queensland winter weather, and the little dears wouldn't move from the heat lamp. You little ones are lucky they don't need the lamp all day :)
We had to buy what was available food wise which country road but once the store gets the food we like in they will be on Purina . We have 1 Rhode island red rooster. 4 red island red hens, 4 americana's hens and three olive egger hens. Yes the Florida heat is prefect for these babys

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We had to buy what was available food wise which country road but once the store gets the food we like in they will be on Purina . We have 1 Rhode island red rooster. 4 red island red hens, 4 americana's hens and three olive egger hens. Yes the Florida heat is prefect for these babys

Just a fun factoid on Olive Eggers, from what I understand they are not a specific breed, they are just any chicken that can lay an olive egg. I found that interesting. I had a little chick sold to me as an olive egger, the poor little thing was from my batch of reject chicks. She ended up passing away very young. She had a vaulted skull. Vaulted skulls are bred sometimes to enhance the fluffy head look or some of the breeds. Polish hens can carry it. In my personal opinion they should NOT breed for this trait. It can leave a hole in their skull and since chickens express hierarchy through head pecks... it is just a terrible idea :( Not saying in anyway yours has it. When I found out my chick was not developing and was struggling to get by day to day, I started getting a better idea of what Oliver Egger even meant. Normally they cross different birds together to create a bird that lays the colour. They are the snoodles /coakapoo of the chicken world :p

I have been trusting Barastoc for my hen's feed as of late. If you are curious.
Barastoc – We put the chicken before the egg!

Last edited:

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Just a fun factoid on Olive Eggers, from what I understand they are not a specific breed, they are just any chicken that can lay an olive egg. I found that interesting. I had a little chick sold to me as an olive egger, the poor little thing was from my batch of reject chicks. She ended up passing away very young. She had a vaulted skull. Vaulted skulls are bred sometimes to enhance the fluffy head look or some of the breeds. Polish hens can carry it. In my personal opinion they should NOT breed for this trait. It can leave a hole in their skull and since chickens express hierarchy through head pecks... it is just a terrible idea :( Not saying in anyway yours has it. When I found out my chick was not developing and was struggling to get by day to day, I started getting a better idea of what Oliver Egger even meant. Normally they cross different birds together to create a bird that lays the colour. They are the snoodles /coakapoo of the chicken world :p

I have been trusting Barastoc for my hen's feed as of late. If you are curious.
Barastoc – We put the chicken before the egg!

Thanks so much for the information, i didn't know that either. I had never heard of them until we went to get the chicks. We wanted Rhode island reds and we got them , this is are 2nd time trying with RIR . The last time we got them , we got 4 and olny one made it the store didn't have anymore that year so they gave us White leg horns and Black sex links to replace them, anyways my husband fell in love with the little Oliver eggers so we got some, they aslo seemed to be healthier than the others, and they are aleast a week older.