• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Itchy

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hi guys! Not sure if this is the right forum for this but my conure Galahad is itchy. He's not really into bathing, although this morning I wet him down around his head and neck with filtered water. I set up a humidifier facing his cage and left a bowl for him to (hopefully) splash in. Right now I'm approaching this like he has dry skin and I personally have dry skin and know how awful it can get. It is quite dry in my ancient apartment. My question is what bird safe sprays can I use on him? I was thinking diluted aloe... I know people always say plain water is best but I would like to give him some extra skin moisture /itch relief. If he doesn't improve I'll certainly take him to the vet, but like I said, first we'll treat for dry skin since it's such an obvious possibility. Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would just mist with plain water if he'll let you. Why do you think he's itchy? Adding the humidifier was a good idea.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I would just mist with plain water if he'll let you. Why do you think he's itchy? Adding the humidifier was a good idea.
He seems to be scratching more than my other birds. In the morning especially. He sleeps in a hard cardboard tube (in his cage, in my bedroom) and I can hear his foot tapping the tube while he's itching. He is mainly itching around his neck and face. I'm definitely going to mist him again tonight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does he have any pin feather coming in? That can sometimes make them scratch more.

Oh, and I wouldn't mist him too late. You want him to be dry for bedtime. :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
He is 13 months old, so I'm not sure it's time. I've looked and don't think there are any pins.