• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Itchy bird :(

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
I just got 2 green conures from someone today. One of them is pulling feathers out under his neck and his tail as well as itching quite a lot. I am taking him to a vet as soon as possible after i call tomorrow but i was wondering what could be the cause of this? She did not disclose this before i went to pick them up but honestly after seeing him i kind of wanted to make sure i took care of it even more.
Any help is very appreciated

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
Also wanted to add - the other bird is acting completely fine, and not losing any feathers or anything like that. Not sure if it makes a difference

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's hard to say. Could be medical, such as a skin infection or pain (sometimes they pull feathers out over the spot that hurts). Could be dry air. Could be behavioral. Could be a stress response. Could be hormonal.

Lots of possibilities.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hope the vets goes well, let us know.
Wish i could help.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:greet13:hi! Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for taking these 2 in!! I hope you stick around, pick up tips and enjoy some fun with us.

You can offer a shallow bowl with no more than 2 inches of water. Like a sturdy cereal bowl that won't tip, or ceramic serving dish. Put it on the bottom of the cage splash around with your hand, tgen step bsck. Thst might encourage a bath. My gcc loves baths. It might help if something irritating on feathers.

But like members said, there can be so many reasons that we can't really say what the issue is.

Can you share some pictures?

Really glad they are with you now. Fantastic thst you will be off to the Avian veterinarian to find answers and help.

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
Here are some photos. They aren’t the best but you can see where he has pulled the feathers out and his tail is missing feathers as well.
It does look like some new ones are growing back but not really. He is itching pretty badly all the time and seems uncomfortable. He won’t let me near him to touch him much yet but i am working with some treats to hopfully get him used to me. I think the mix of new environment and whatever he has going on health wise is not giving me a good shot at much right now though.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks like a black capped conure. What a cutie!

The fact that he is focused on his crop so much makes me worried it is medical. Don't give up on him yet :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This is young newly weaned bird?
Crop issues infections are common problem when hsnd raising.

Good news, if thats the case the veterinarian can easily prescribe the correct treatment . Will clear up quickly with treatment i think .

When do you see the veterinarian?

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
Saw the vet and she said prior to blood work to let them acclimate to our home as it may have been stress from the previous owner. I guess i will have to give it time and see if it’s gets any better? As i am getting to know these birds they do not seem to have been handled very much.

This is young newly weaned bird?
Crop issues infections are common problem when hsnd raising.

Good news, if thats the case the veterinarian can easily prescribe the correct treatment . Will clear up quickly with treatment i think .

When do you see the veterinarian?
the previous owner said they are about 3 years old so no

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Saw the vet and she said prior to blood work to let them acclimate to our home as it may have been stress from the previous owner. I guess i will have to give it time and see if it’s gets any better? As i am getting to know these birds they do not seem to have been handled very much.

the previous owner said they are about 3 years old so no
Was thus an avian veterinarian????? They can do a crop swab and do not have to do blood work .

Crop issues aren't limited to babies...and with messi g around with tail feathers. .. I think a yeast overgrowth, or bacterial infection is a real possibility.

Back history on re homes is always sketchy...but doesn't change the fact they need good homes.

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
Was thus an avian veterinarian????? They can do a crop swab and do not have to do blood work .

Crop issues aren't limited to babies...and with messi g around with tail feathers. .. I think a yeast overgrowth, or bacterial infection is a real possibility.

Back history on re homes is always sketchy...but doesn't change the fact they need good homes.
It was an avian vet. I will definitely be seeking a second opinion elsewhere, but unfortunately there are not a lot of different options. I thought there must be other things they can do besides hyper expensive bloodwork but that’s the only option i was offered at the time.

notjames

Moving in
Real Name
James m
I also want to say that there are 2 birds. One has no issues with their feathers so that’s the other reason the vet seems to think it’s not an infection or mites or some kind

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I also want to say that there are 2 birds. One has no issues with their feathers so that’s the other reason the vet seems to think it’s not an infection or mites or some kind
Its extremely extremely rare for it to be mites. I don't see any indication of mites.

It can be behavioral plucking.

It can be be infection of crop and both birds would not have . When I had yeast overgrowth in one none of the other flock had it ..

Im not a vet. But with the way this looks I would really want to rule out a health issue.

You can get an imbalance from to much fruit as well as other reasons.

Whst do they eat?

The cafe is to small, that what I use for a travel cage