• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It worked!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Yoshi can now STEP UP and hang out on a BARE hand without causing it to bleed :lol:. As some of you may know Yoshi previously attacked skin anytime he could I had to wear big hoodies around him so he could hang out on my shoulder or arm without attacking it. A few days ago I decided to try a method I hadn’t tried before I thought maybe he didn’t realise that biting skin isn’t acceptable and just bit it because he didn’t like it.

I got him to step up on my sleeved arm and then would expose my hand when he would run down to attack it I would lower my arm. He would look up to see why his perch had moved and steady himself, then I would reward him for not biting for a couple seconds. We continued this training for a couple days and eventually he got the message: biting= unsteady perch, not biting=praise and treats.

My hand has about ten marks from when he was learning not to bite but it’s all worth it now. :D Because I can hold him whilst wearing a T-shirt

Also luckily for me perfectly in time now it’s getting much warmer much faster because I would not have enjoyed wearing a jumper in 30 degree heat!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
That is great news. My arms are covered in marks from Frankie and Bebe's claws even though they get done regularly.
Hubby nags me constantly about all the marks, but like yourself, I can't be wearing sweaters.
Hopefully your arms will heal now and stay that way :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That's great! A modified earthquake method! This is what is hard to explain in text, but sometimes with your own bird you come up with your own thing that can break a bad habit. I did all kinds of goofy things to get my lovebird to step up :wacky: she usually hops up now, which is fine hahaha Congrats!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Congratulations! That must be a wonderful feeling. :hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:chipmunks: Isn't that a awesome feeling when you finally feel you are making head way...so happy for you and your feathered friend as you both will enjoy spending time together.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
That is great news. My arms are covered in marks from Frankie and Bebe's claws even though they get done regularly.
Hubby nags me constantly about all the marks, but like yourself, I can't be wearing sweaters.
Hopefully your arms will heal now and stay that way :)
I know their claws are sharp! :wideyed:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
That's great! A modified earthquake method! This is what is hard to explain in text, but sometimes with your own bird you come up with your own thing that can break a bad habit. I did all kinds of goofy things to get my lovebird to step up :wacky: she usually hops up now, which is fine hahaha Congrats!
They are all so different so whilst one method may work for some birds it won’t work for others. It’s good that your lovie steps up now, at least some of the time :lol:.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:fairy2: Awesome! So happy to hear this new development - go Yoshi! :)