• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It worked!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Yoshi can now STEP UP and hang out on a BARE hand without causing it to bleed :lol:. As some of you may know Yoshi previously attacked skin anytime he could I had to wear big hoodies around him so he could hang out on my shoulder or arm without attacking it. A few days ago I decided to try a method I hadn’t tried before I thought maybe he didn’t realise that biting skin isn’t acceptable and just bit it because he didn’t like it.

I got him to step up on my sleeved arm and then would expose my hand when he would run down to attack it I would lower my arm. He would look up to see why his perch had moved and steady himself, then I would reward him for not biting for a couple seconds. We continued this training for a couple days and eventually he got the message: biting= unsteady perch, not biting=praise and treats.

My hand has about ten marks from when he was learning not to bite but it’s all worth it now. :D Because I can hold him whilst wearing a T-shirt

Also luckily for me perfectly in time now it’s getting much warmer much faster because I would not have enjoyed wearing a jumper in 30 degree heat!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on the progress!