• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It really DOES work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
I've had problems the last several months with Chico using a contact call for me that is shrill and ear piercing and though I would never do it makes me want to wring his little neck. :D I asked for advice on the forum about it and you guys gave me alot of good suggestions.

I noticed one day, while talking to my s/o on the phone-he was returning home for lunch that Chico just gives him a ton of 'woooos' when he comes in so it's wooo wooo wooo wooo! :omg: NOT FAIR! I asked him what he was doing, and he said that the minute he walked through the door (chico can't see you when you first walk in) he says hi, then before he does ANYTHING at all, he goes straight to the cage and lets him out and gives him smooches.

I thought that's what I had been doing, but he pointed out to me, sometimes I'd hesitate and remove my coat or hat and gloves, sometimes I'd lean over and put my purse on the kitchen table before coming into the living room to say hi. I hadn't realized it, in my mind I was going straight to him.

It's the very advice many of you had given me when I asked for help. Well I'm happy to say, that now I remove my hat as I'm walking to his cage, I say hi the minute I step inside, and first thing he gets a hello and some smooches before I do anything else. It's working! Not always, but it's getting better :) I must have been making him very anxious but delaying his greeting before.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Awwww, he just wants to be FIRST in your heart and in your schedule!!

Gigi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
Wow, you'd never think a few minutes would bother a bird very much, but I guess their feelings are just like a dog's or a child's... When you walk in the door, they are excited to see you, and want to greet you.

It seems strange, but my budgies are the same way. Even though they are only budgies and aren't the tamest, they give piercing whistles once they realize that it's me coming through the door, and they don't let up until I go in and say hello. I guess they feel as though member of their flock has been absent.

It's nice to be greeted so warmly by a bird! :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It's so funny what we don't always notice but that they do! They're way more observant than we are most of the time.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
That is great. Im glad it is working for you and you found out what was causing the screaming. As soon as I walk in the door Boomer gives a nice hello chirp and Chiquita does also. I have to say hello to them both first and give them a raisin. They get very anxious when I walk in the door so I really have to go to them first.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky has to be the first one that is greeted when I get home or he will call and call for me.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Same thing happens here, but I have to greet the dog first since he is jumping all over me when I get home. All the birds have grown quite used to my routine so the constant contact calls have stopped, for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.