• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It may be January 8th...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...but to Milton, it's the time for love.
For the last few days, Milty has been overly affectionate towards me. That definitely is a nice feeling to have,but we know what that is a precursor of...hormone time is here.

Milt has been very lovey-dovey ...saying "I love you", sitting right next to my face,and gently preening my nose. Today,he attempted to mate with my hand.

So,action we took. I discouraged the action,telling him, "Thanks,but no thanks". I then said that he was a pretty bird,and encouraged other activities. Milty then began to pull feathers...I again encouraged other alternatives to that.

I also talked to Kathy...I would like her to take a more active role with Milty,for obvious reasons.

Milton is a special soul, to me,and to all of you Roadies. I welcome your comments and suggestions...we're all working for Milty's best interest,after all...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hormones. Sigh. Upping his sleep is the only thing I can think of to suggest which I know you are already doing.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've been making tough choices here... I have no advice, but I have a lot of empathy for all of you. Chin up, this too shall pass, and hopefully we're all unscathed.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:banghead: Not much you can do about hormones. Try distracting him I guess. More wet, activities easier said then done.

Sorry he;s trying to pluck again but I guess hes frustrated.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are you, Kathy, and Milton getting on?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
To help with the hormones, (Valentine is all over me trying to mate) I took one of my t shirts, laid it in my lap and she jumped on that like a dog on a bone. Works every time.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Merlin is super clingy and screamy now, ,sigh,,,the regurgitating should start soon...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Unfortunately other than distract with another activity or toy, I don't have much to suggest. During hormonal times, Fred seems to pull away from us. He's been retreating to his cage, only coming out when we're not around. He's not destructive so it's ok, and I can keep an eye on him without bothering him. I call it his independent stage. Its twice a year and can last up to 3 months or so. But all of a sudden he'll start interacting with us as if nothing happened. Its very strange. But I guess I would rather have this than aggression. This is much better than that! I should also add that during these times, he let's joe kiss him, lets my son hold his paw and rub his beak, and I'm back to being the maid! 8-12 weeks this lasts! Ha!

Last edited: