• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It is snowing on AA

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm not that insane lol. Though I usually don't put away my flip flops until the snow is over my toes :rofl:
I can't live without flip flops!

We don't claim to know him when he does that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Screenshot_20191130_071703.jpg

My in-laws' ducks also need a path regularly shovelled from their stall to the pond.
:wideyed::hlycw: the ducks are in the pond in the snow!!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am a Queenslander... anything under 23c and I am near death. Winters here get between 4-9c at the coldest and it is normally only for an hour in the middle of the night. There is a large temperature fluctuation between day and night, I think that is the biggest difference. In winter it can be 23 at mid day and drop to 16 at night or lower. In summer today my thermostat read 31 as the high, but now it is 23. So even in the summer when it is hot it cools off to a nice temp at night...most nights anyway.

The climate is a little different than in other areas I lived. I stayed in Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York. I have family in Chicago and St.Paul. I lived in Århus, Denmark and France also. In Australia the outback gobbles up the humidity so the heat doesn't choke you to death in the same way.

I will say this much though, in those cold climates the indoor heating and insulation rocks! Here since it doesn't really get cold enough to freeze pipes nothing is insulated. There is on central heating..no radiators. So when it is 9c it is inside your home too, in your bedroom in your bathroom.. sometimes it can drop to 0 for short stretches.

In areas where it snows you need to deal with all the mess, but at least you have cosy warm homes. When I lived in Buffalo I was in a t-shirt in my apartment when it was -40c outside, if anyone else remembers that cold spell that lasted 6 weeks in 2014? In Queensland I am wearing gloves, jumper, thick pants, etc in the kitchen when I sip my morning coffee.

Also in Queensland we do deal with extreme UV. Sunscreen is a must if you are outside longer than. 3 min. I am not joking either. You can tell who the tourist are when they are lobster red from not taking the Australian sun seriously. Not to mention all the Australians who get some sort of carcinoma.

I would still rather battle the sun over snow. Snow is pretty to look at! Not to live in :p

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This makes me think of something interesting about chickens. Most domestic chickens actually to better health wise in the snow than the heat. It goes against what you would expect since they are jungle fowl. I guess a lot of egg producing breeds were developed in cold climates? Many of the large breeds struggle to regulate their temp in heat..which is why it helps to provide cool dirt for them and a good amount of shade.

Anyway it is interesting. That is why it is important to get chickens that are heat or cold hardy to suit your climate. :)

I can't help but nerd out about birds :p

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, they will go in the pond rain or shine! These are Pomeranian ducks, a breed originally from Germany near the baltic sea. So they are quite used to chilly weather.

Unfortunately the fox got to those ones, now they have running ducks. My husband was heartbroken as he raised those from ducklings. We had a month where we had a long-distance relationship and in that time he would Skype me from the duckling's room and occasionally pick them up and rub them on his face, or just quack at them. And he says I'm the weird bird lady!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I am a Queenslander... anything under 23c and I am near death. Winters here get between 4-9c at the coldest and it is normally only for an hour in the middle of the night. There is a large temperature fluctuation between day and night, I think that is the biggest difference. In winter it can be 23 at mid day and drop to 16 at night or lower. In summer today my thermostat read 31 as the high, but now it is 23. So even in the summer when it is hot it cools off to a nice temp at night...most nights anyway.

The climate is a little different than in other areas I lived. I stayed in Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York. I have family in Chicago and St.Paul. I lived in Århus, Denmark and France also. In Australia the outback gobbles up the humidity so the heat doesn't choke you to death in the same way.

I will say this much though, in those cold climates the indoor heating and insulation rocks! Here since it doesn't really get cold enough to freeze pipes nothing is insulated. There is on central heating..no radiators. So when it is 9c it is inside your home too, in your bedroom in your bathroom.. sometimes it can drop to 0 for short stretches.

In areas where it snows you need to deal with all the mess, but at least you have cosy warm homes. When I lived in Buffalo I was in a t-shirt in my apartment when it was -40c outside, if anyone else remembers that cold spell that lasted 6 weeks in 2014? In Queensland I am wearing gloves, jumper, thick pants, etc in the kitchen when I sip my morning coffee.

Also in Queensland we do deal with extreme UV. Sunscreen is a must if you are outside longer than. 3 min. I am not joking either. You can tell who the tourist are when they are lobster red from not taking the Australian sun seriously. Not to mention all the Australians who get some sort of carcinoma.

I would still rather battle the sun over snow. Snow is pretty to look at! Not to live in :p
You lived in Buffalo? I live in Cleveland and I absolutely remember that winter! My eyeballs would sting and water just walking to my car. It was - 10 (-23c) in the morning. I like winter but that was a bit much even for me!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You lived in Buffalo? I live in Cleveland and I absolutely remember that winter! My eyeballs would sting and water just walking to my car. It was - 10 (-23c) in the morning. I like winter but that was a bit much even for me!
It was so cold! I was living there with my two dogs and they were both short coat heat babies..we could not stand outside for more than 1min before their feet would get so cold they would cry. My poor Paige, she was my Amstaff, and I would need to grab her in my arms and carry her in.

I studied at UB :) I drove through Cleveland a few times. That road has a lot of 90degree turns..and it is like a motorway..I thought that was odd and super dangerous.. especially with the snow!! I want to say it was the I-90?

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It was so cold! I was living there with my two dogs and they were both short coat heat babies..we could not stand outside for more than 1min before their feet would get so cold they would cry. My poor Paige, she was my Amstaff, and I would need to grab her in my arms and carry her in.

I studied at UB :) I drove through Cleveland a few times. That road has a lot of 90degree turns..and it is like a motorway..I thought that was odd and super dangerous.. especially with the snow!! I want to say it was the I-90?
Yep, I90! The "Deadmans Curve" is a pretty absurd angle, in winter it's a mess out there! Then the section that is just west of downtown, we call it the Shoreway because it's right up on the lake, also curvy, the snow that year blew all over the road, I nearly got stuck, right there in the middle of the highway. That year Lake Erie froze over, which rarely happens!

Poor dog feet! Lots of people in NYC put little booties on their dogs because it's so dirty, but I'm sure that's something you have to start when they're babies and not just for an Arctic blast. I always giggle when I see them...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Here's my take on snow direction on AA.. Upper left to lower right side, a snow storm, snow shovels required. Upper right to lower left, a nor'easter, all hands on deck with snowblowers, shovels, ice choppers. Straight down top to bottom, polar vortex, time snuggle up with good book, hot coco and blanket.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love our summers. I’m anxiously waiting for our above 40 days. -15? You’re talking Fahrenheit yes?? I’m gonna have to convert that to Celsius so I have an idea of the actual temperature you’re talking about. I’m guessing it’s gonna scare me!
No, I speak Celsius as well ;)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey it's not snowing here for once! :lol:

(Scheduled for tomorrow)
Not yet thank god, but we're in for freezing rain over nite. 1/4 inch of it....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

You think the tourists cop the UV in QLD then you need to see the ones who go to chilly Tasmania and don’t use sunscreen on the rather cool but sunny days of low 20’s..... omg do they cop it bad- same in some parts of WA.
Bottom line is JUST USE SUNSCREEN!!!
I actually find QLD rather humid and sticky and so do most people I know but that also depends on where in QLD you are. I much preferred the weather in Mt Isa than Brisbane as it was much warmer and also usually less humid.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I actually find QLD rather humid and sticky and so do most people I know but that also depends on where in QLD you are. I much preferred the weather in Mt Isa than Brisbane as it was much warmer and also usually less humid.
QLD is a big state, so there is variety. I was in Brissy but we moved north a few years ago to the Sunshine Coast now. It is paradise! The area is mountainous so even within the Coast there is a surprising difference between areas. I will get bundled up in winter in Buderim drive to Maroochydore and it will be much warmer to the point that I need to remove some layers. The area is humid during the rainy season, but the humidity drops substantially at night. During the dry season everything is crisp. The bushfires lately should give you some idea. It does get quiet dry.

The humidity in New York and Michigan is very different. In those areas the humidity was like thick and seemed to last all day and all night. It was utter pain. I don't even own an aircon in Australia, but in Michigan I don't know how you can be comfortable without one. It is like the humidity has a personal vendetta against human life and is trying to choke you!

My partner are I are planning a holiday to Mt.Isa, I have never been before! Hopefully we will go in Feb.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like 2 states & MI has that weird vortex snow & rain thing happening. They're calling for up to 2" of ice here tomorrow, we're just going to have to see what happens. Lotsa ice & lotsa old tree's not a good combo. I hope there is 0 MPH on the wind scale, or I may loose power & all my pipes in my house. Not good praying for this to not happen & :Sarahs: some too!