• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It finally happened.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I feel like I generally read the room pretty well :arghh:
I want to publicly and sincerely apologize for that comment. I didn't mean to imply that you missed a clue that could have prevented this.
:sadhug2:
You have a good handle on things. I don't see it as a case of having "let down your guard". Roland wasn't picking on Isa and she wasn't terrorizing him. You didn't leave them together unsupervised.
I agree with @BrianB 's advice. Hopefully Isa can learn Roland isn't a threat.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I want to publicly and sincerely apologize for that comment. I didn't mean to imply that you missed a clue that could have prevented this.
:sadhug2:
You have a good handle on things. I don't see it as a case of having "let down your guard". Roland wasn't picking on Isa and she wasn't terrorizing him. You didn't leave them together unsupervised.
I agree with @BrianB 's advice. Hopefully Isa can learn Roland isn't a threat.
It's totally OK, I think I knew what you meant.

Yeah I'm pretty much hiding them from each other which is a pain in the butt and is eating into everyone's out of cage time. I'm going to have to work out a new system for this.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What's the best way to do this?
You might make Roland the "keeper of the treats" if you give them to Isadora. When you would normally offer her a treat, let Roland be the one who takes it out of the package and then have him hand it to you in order to give the bird. Let the bird see the whole process, and if she's nippy or rude with you, take the treat away, give it to Roland, and let him put it back in the container and put it away. If she's food motivated then it won't take her long to figure out that if she wants the treat she has to be nice because the little human is the one who controls access to them. He can rebuild trust after getting a bite from her and she will hopefully understand that her best behavior is the gateway to treats that she enjoys. As he grows older he could, under your watchful eye, start to give her a treat himself. Of course, it could backfire and make her absolutely hate him because he has the treats, but I've had good luck with using treats as a way to get better behavior from birds.