• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It finally happened.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I got lazy about being on super guard watch duty, and it's finally happened.

Isadora bit Roland (4 year old son). Not hard enough to break skin, but she absolutely would have if she'd had a better grip/position. She left a good mark and it's pretty bruised already, an hour later.

Boyfriend thinks I need to "train them both" whereas I think it would be better just to make sure they're never close enough for it to happen again, and making sure he's aware to keep a distance. He says Isadora is smart enough to train not to bite the kid - I said yes, however it's like a dog that's aggressive towards other dogs: You keep the aggressive dog away from others.

What are y'all's opinions?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Do both, but primarily rely on keeping them separated because otherwise you're essentially talking about training a pair of toddlers and I wouldn't rely on either to do the right thing.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh I'm so sorry he got bit,I hope he won't be terrifed of her now. I'll tag Shawna since I know she's had years of experience keeping little hands away from bitey birds and other folks who especially have Too experience and in some cases were theirs have bitten others
@Mizzely
@macawpower58 @sunnysmom @faislaq @iamwhoiam @Macawnutz @BrianB

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Keep them apart and teach your son that he needs to respect and keep a distance. My son grew up in a house FULL of loose flying macaws and we never had an issue as my son respected them. He still has a great relationship with all of them but that came later when he could understand them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
4 years old is too young to be around the birds. Way to easy to be hurt, which could scar him for life emotionally.
And for 'training' a bird to not bite. I'd not even try. Avoid bites by the child not being near enough for it to happen.
Teach respect and tolerance and admiration from afar for now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The kids don't go near Ripley's cage. Ripley would love to take a bite out of them. Luckily as long as they respect his area they leave each other alone.

They do talk to Bosco through the cage bars. But hands are always behind their backs when they go to see him, as that is the rule they must follow.

When they were younger I had a baby fence around the cage so they couldn't get within arms reach.

My Quaker used to hunt Nikolai down to bite him so he could steal his food. So he wasn't allowed out while my son was around.

Basically I just don't let them interact except from a safe distance. No touching, no petting, no holding. Occasionally Ripley will let the kids give him a treat but only things they can either give him in a bowl or something long they can avoid a bite with.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Do both, but primarily rely on keeping them separated because otherwise you're essentially talking about training a pair of toddlers and I wouldn't rely on either to do the right thing.
That's pretty much where I'm at, though more on him for training rather than her. He's more likely to catch on a bit quicker I think.

I hope he won't be terrifed of her now.
He's always had a healthy side eye towards her, interested but skittish. I think after today's experience he'll likely be a bit more skittish though!

Keep them apart and teach your son that he needs to respect and keep a distance
He's usually pretty good about it, she's always sort of made him nervous. She also doesn't particularly care for him much, so I've tried to keep distance between them.

4 years old is too young to be around the birds.
Usually when in the same room, there's a good few feet of distance, today he and I both weren't paying enough attention :(

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The kids don't go near Ripley's cage. Ripley would love to take a bite out of them. Luckily as long as they respect his area they leave each other alone.

They do talk to Bosco through the cage bars. But hands are always behind their backs when they go to see him, as that is the rule they must follow.

When they were younger I had a baby fence around the cage so they couldn't get within arms reach.

My Quaker used to hunt Nikolai down to bite him so he could steal his food. So he wasn't allowed out while my son was around.

Basically I just don't let them interact except from a safe distance. No touching, no petting, no holding. Occasionally Ripley will let the kids give him a treat but only things they can either give him in a bowl or something long they can avoid a bite with.
Yeah, usually there's a good distance between everyone.

Today Roland tried to hug me while she was on my knee, and she moved at the speed of freaking light to grab him. I think because it's been almost 6 months without incident, I got too lax about it :facepalm:

He doesn't go near any cages, thankfully. She'd take a finger off in a heartbeat, plus having the birds in a separate bird room probably saves me from that a lot. When they're out, I'm in the room - Which has been fine up to today :o:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Poor Roland :(

I would keep them separated, if Isa can fly and chooses to fly to Roland then I’d keep them separated at all times by bars and doors.
No need for either to be in a spot where someone can get hurt.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Poor Roland :(

I would keep them separated, if Isa can fly and chooses to fly to Roland then I’d keep them separated at all times by bars and doors.
No need for either to be in a spot where someone can get hurt.
Thankfully she can't reeeeeally fly, just sorta flap in a general direction very dramatically (which is a whole 'nother post, I have suspicions she can't fly). But yeah, if she starts to learn to aim, we're in a heap of trouble.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry this happened. Children and cockatoos should not be together. I know you're careful but I think for awhile at least she should not be out around your son. Reread the Sex and the Psticine article. Showing affection around her to your son could be triggering a jealousy thing. Or sometimes children just move to quickly or make loud noises which spook them.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Did Roland invade Isadora's space or did Isadora invade his? Was he approaching her trying to play or did she target him?
Either way you have to protect them both. I'm kinda thinking Roland might avoid Isadora after this.

So sorry to hear this happened. I personally think it's a matter of dealing with boundaries with both the bird and the kiddo.
Unfortunately that leaves you bouncing on the teeter totter.
Welcome to the balancing act, I guess.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Keep them apart.

For both of their sakes.

My son-in-law had a bad experience with his mom's bird when he was a child. That experience was traumatic .... I saw his reactions when the the amazons first moved in here.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Did Roland invade Isadora's space or did Isadora invade his? Was he approaching her trying to play or did she target him?
Either way you have to protect them both. I'm kinda thinking Roland might avoid Isadora after this.

So sorry to hear this happened. I personally think it's a matter of dealing with boundaries with both the bird and the kiddo.
Unfortunately that leaves you bouncing on the teeter totter.
Welcome to the balancing act, I guess.
Roland tried to hug me while she was on my knee, and she moved at the speed of freaking light to grab him. I think because it's been almost 6 months without incident, I got too lax about it

Winn

Jogging around the block
I'm sure.. but hey. Toddlers and birdie heads and who knows what might be thrown into the mix!!??
Hope the kiddo wasn't too traumatized and hope you can find a working balance.
We got this, right!?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see people say that the best bite is one that doesn't happen. It's true to a point, but birds bite. That's the reality of it. You can avoid most of them but you never know what's going to trigger one. What completely sets one bird off may not bother another in the slightest. I've found that children make most birds very nervous. They are smaller versions of us, but not us, with quick motions and loud voices. You've been vigilant but one got through. Use it as a learning moment for both of them. You can teach Isadora that your little Roland is nothing to be jealous of and is not a threat. He can learn in turn to keep a safe distance, talk slowly in a calm voice, and in time learn to approach slowly so she doesn't get nervous. They might not ever be friends, but maybe they will learn to coexist peacefully.