• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It finally happened, meet Runa. (SAD UPDATE #31)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I couldn’t imagine working in a kennel full of these pups. They must have kept you on your toes lol.

The woman who runs the rescue works exclusively with malinois and Dutch shepherds and she said that she thinks Runa looks just like a pure bred Dutch in both build and coloration. But I do see the lighter color of tan coming out in certain light that brings to mind the malinois. She’s her own thing I guess lol.
I know they are pretty similar, but Runa really does have a mal face! At least, to me!

I mostly fed them, gave them water and cleaned their kennels. In the beginning, it even included exercising them as they hadn't any kennels to live in *yet* so were stuck in crates... washing crates twice a day was quite miserable... we had one Mal who's name was Dasty. His "full" name was Nasty Dasty. He was quite good at getting crap on the ceiling of a 6' kennel! Quite a few of the mals and GSD's were spinners... so the sides of the kennels were pretty gross, too!

If one Mal wasn't sent back for being a failure, I probably would have adopted him. He had to have been at least 80 lbs and 28" at the shoulder, at least. Tall and scrawny! From what little I did see of him, he didn't have typical mal behavior. There was another mal kind of like him (also tall, but a slightly bigger or wider build), but the other boy had a gorgeous red coat! (and much more confident)

I miss those dogs!

I'll be the first to say that I *am not* a good fit for a high energy dog like a mal or similar breed! (still would have taken that one mal if I could have!) And yet, here I am with a husky! He's not a fence jumper, took him 6 months before he dug his first hole, isn't a big chewer *unless* it's a squeaky toy... then it must be destroyed! They upset him *so* much! And he's pretty chill when he's inside or outside. He has his active moments, but he's not high energy. Might be partly due to his age, of course! He's 4 1/2 about, based on his chip.

Can't wait to hear more about Runa and see more pictures on her journey! :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the new puppy. She is gorgeous.

Dorcas George

Beautiful dog and I love the name. I never heard of a malinois. Why are they a particular challenge? And:congrats3:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Beautiful dog and I love the name. I never heard of a malinois. Why are they a particular challenge? And:congrats3:
They're often used for police and military work... high energy dogs. People often mistake them for German Shepherds. I only know about the breed thanks to the job I had taking care of them.

Husky's get a bad rap.... Mals are worse! A husky might jump a 6' fence, a mal could climb over a 9+ foot one!

Dorcas George

Well that explains why they are used for police or military work!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Found a great video show casing some of the Mal's possible talents! They are called "maligators"... and you get one by breeding a German Shepherd with an alligator and giving them 5 hour energy shots! ;)

Runa is in great hands! Is it too soon to ask for more updates??? :D

Dorcas George

Found a great video show casing some of the Mal's possible talents! They are called "maligators"... and you get one by breeding a German Shepherd with an alligator and giving them 5 hour energy shots! ;)

:wow:

Dorcas George

:wow::super:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats!!! What a beauty!!!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’ve debated writing anything and have been pretty quiet because I’ve had a run of terrible luck lately and feel beat. (And I don’t want to depress anyone.)

A little over a week ago Runa collapsed while just being in my bedroom. She didn’t just collapse, she stopped breathing entirely. I started cpr and got her back. Ran out the door with her carried in my arms and drove straight to the er clinic. (It’s only 3-5 mins away from my home.) They took her straight back where she started seizing and passed away.
Two days after I brought her home she went to the vet for all the regular care/testing. She was positive for heartworm (not a huge surprise from being outside only and not having vet care, but she was so content seeming and active I didn’t see any of the typical symptoms for her, she never coughed or seemed lethargic) and we started treatment right away. I’ve never lost a dog to heartworm when I was the cvt treating and hadn’t seen it happen so was glad to start the process to rid her of the little critters. When treatment starts the heartworms die and can break into little pieces that shouldn’t be a problem but can sometimes cause a blockage in the vessels of the heart. We did a necropsy on her because I had to know and the vet couldn’t say for sure wether a blockage caused her to pass away or just the sheer volume of heartworms already in her and we got to her too late. There was nothing we could have done and it tore me apart (again.) my husband says this is the risk we take when we take in the abuse cases and the neglected pets. But I’m really tired of it. It’s too painful.

Then two weeks ago I got news I’d need a pretty stressful medical procedure done to see if I was having complications from the first procedure done a while ago. Handed around from dr to dr and rushed to the testing place. Finally told everything is fine. Very happy to hear, but upset with the whole process.

The day I had that done I went to pay for it and found out someone had stolen all of my money...hundreds of dollars in my acct gone from some cash app in another state. The banks fraud dept can fix it but it takes up to 10 business days...with none of my money for groceries, anything. (Somewhere I had to swipe on one of those card stealing machines that people put in gas pumps, small stores, etc they said.)

My youngest daughter got the flu horribly, two hospital trips, breathing treatments and two antibiotics because the first didn’t work, steroids and fluids. She’s finally starting to feel better today so I took her to Michaels (the craft store) for some slime making fun and signed up for a raffle for a bunch of custom framing things. Got a call from michaels while in the middle of doing my kids inhaler so let it go. Ended the inhaler treatment not five seconds later and called back within ten seconds. They answered and put me on hold for a while and said they called because I won the raffle but since I didn’t answer they gave it to someone else.

And even tho that’s not the worst thing that’s happened I feel like I’ve been kicked a lot this past month and haven’t been very good company, so this is all why I’ve been pretty quiet.

I don’t want anyone to feel down tho, because Runa had a family that loved her. I just think I may be done rescuing for a while. Sometimes it works out like with Bowser. The vet said he wouldn’t have made it one more day had we not gotten to him and look at him now. And then sometimes it doesn’t. :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well lets hope the worst is all past you for a while///

When you are ready another dog will find you. Perhaps you were just meant to give this dog some comfort in its long terrible neglected life...A little love before it succumbed to all of its abuse...Hopefully you can find some solice in knowing that you made this dog happy in its final days & it gave you something in return...

That's sure a load of bad luck & tragedy...We never know our destiny...

We just had a lady sheriff get killed by a car after she helped a elderly woman up off the street who fell in the middle of the street. I know the old lady & she needs a caretaker or a wheelchair as she is putting her life & others lives at risk as she is always slipping & falling & tripping when she takes the bus to the library with her elderly husband who was struggling to try to get her up from the street. This woman who got killed had 2 children 16 & 20...boys..one of whom is in the Navy serving,,,She could have helped so many people & done so much good with the rest of her life as she was only 40 & one wonders why she did not look a bit better as she ran back to her car & did not see the car coming at her after the light turned green...All life is precious but this elderly lady really needs some intervention to make sure she gets around more safely & no one else has to die to save her again... Anyway I am a bit miffed & also grateful as no one but the Lord above saved me when I got hit by a car in 2016. I was knocked down in the street & I looked up at 2 lanes of cars stopped at the red light ready to come run over me if I did not get up so I got up & limped safely to the curb...Thankfully only with a broken toe as the tire ran over my foot & the side of the car hit me just enough to knock me down but not enough to hurt me beyond some scrapes & abrasions from when I hit the asphalt....It was dark & raining so if I did not get up I would be gone as I was dressed in a gray coat & laying on the street would not have been noticed likely until it was too late.

So you are alive & hopefully the family & you deal with health issues & the slime that prey upon us & the hit & run drivers who run over us!!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Isn't that darned Michael's raffle just the rotten cherry on an unfair sundae! :tmsmakesme: I know it's not important, but you are a good person, a wonderful, caring person and you deserve something going your way. :(

I'm sorry about Runa, but am thankful that she had as many happy days as she did with you. :bluhug:

I feel like I’ve been kicked a lot this past month and haven’t been very good company, so this is all why I’ve been pretty quiet.
That's exactly why you should visit with us. ;) I know you're not wanting to bad talk anyone, but it still makes me think of one of my favorite lines from Steel Magnolias:
Screenshot_20200118-230310_Chrome.jpg
If you're ever feeling down there's always more than a few of us who are ready to get down there with you; come sit by us. :hug6:

I'm happy to hear you and your daughter are both doing better, and I hope the back gets your money ordeal sorted out sooner rather than later.

:fingerscrossed::goodluck:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry. :sadhug2: When it rains, it pours. Been there, done that.... crawling out of it.

I'm thankful that Runa had a soft place to land even if it was for a short while. I know you made a great home for her.

Kind of been there with the bank thing as well.... although it was with a credit card... which was nearly maxed out anyway at the time! So they didn't get to spend much money! But I've also had my wallet stolen with debit and credit cards. I was able to cancel the cards before the thief had a chance to use them, thankfully! But he tried right after taking my wallet and again the next day. The night he stole my wallet, I actually ended up on top of *HIS* vehicle as he was fleeing the scene of the crime. So wish I could have left some sort of damage to his vehicle.

I hope things get sorted quite quickly, you have no more medical scares and your daughter gets over her flu ASAP! Hang in there!!! :hug9:And please, don't be afraid to come here and chat or anything!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:sadhug2: :sadhug2: 1579436862526.png :sadhug2::sadhug2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Lisa :sadhug: You are not done rescuing, you just need a break.

There are very few people that can do what you do because you are always taking this chance.
Don't stop being you just because it didn't go your way this time. One save is a lifetime to that rescue.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wasn't that three bad things in a row. My g'ma told me that bad luck comes in threes, so it's all over now. You are now in for a long period of smooth sailing.

I'm sorry about Runa. What a terrible blow to you.

You can't quit what you have been doing for so very long. All of your bad experiences are made up for by your magnificent success with Bowser. While that was going on I checked every day to make sure Bowser hadn't died. He didn't and that is because you are a hero.

I have to depend on you younger people to do the heroic stuff, because I'm trapped in the inevitable web of old age and my choices have dwindled. Keep it up.