• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It finally happened, meet Runa. (SAD UPDATE #31)

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Some of you may remember a little over a year ago I rescued a little Malinois puppy that had distemper and had been abused badly. We tried everything for over a month and had the best vet care for him but his little body couldn’t beat it in the end. Losing him broke me down for a while. I’ve heard people say you can’t love a dog that quickly but I loved that dog so much from the moment I brought his frail body home. When he passed away I lost faith in people for a while and even though I kept up my daily hikes and walks with my poodle Beans, a piece was missing.

Today I came across a listing for a rescued malinois/Dutch Shepherd female completely randomly while out eating lunch. About 6 months old and from military/police stock. Kept outside and too much to handle for most people that aren’t familiar with the breed. I jumped on emailing the person who rescued her and made my husband come home from work early lol.

Here she is in all her beauty. We’ve named her Runa. D3C30321-C1B8-4BE6-A749-EB7ADFFFF9EB.jpeg
She did not find the bath fun lol. CAD8C9DF-7A1D-4C68-AF0F-6485282E9786.jpeg
She’s still a puppy so has some growing to do and lots of training for sure. E834C053-24C4-4C24-9E31-441CDE9E4F70.jpeg

She’s the best Christmas surprise and just pure love. (With a side of fur missle lol) :whttodo:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome home, Runa! :hug8: She's beautiful, congratulations!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Goodness! She's stunning! Definitely has that dutch look to her, but the mal "bleeding out" in the lighter markings! :D Runa will definitely keep you busy!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
She is beautiful.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She's lovely, is she a brindle?
Technically, yes... at least, from my understanding, a dutch shepherd is basically a brindled version of a belgian malinois. So, she has the brindle coloration's of a dutch shepherd. The lighter brown areas appear more "mal" colored however... but dutch shepherds do vary in brindle color and pattern! Some can be really dark with hardly any hint of brindle or they could be near the opposite, almost mal in appearance with only a little brindle color. The color can very from a dark red/black to a light brown/black.

Could be wrong though! I've never owned one, just got covered in their crap! (literally... used to work at K9 kennels that had mostly GSD and BM with the occasional DS, GSP and lab - plus mixes of GSD and BM)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Technically, yes... at least, from my understanding, a dutch shepherd is basically a brindled version of a belgian malinois. So, she has the brindle coloration's of a dutch shepherd. The lighter brown areas appear more "mal" colored however... but dutch shepherds do vary in brindle color and pattern! Some can be really dark with hardly any hint of brindle or they could be near the opposite, almost mal in appearance with only a little brindle color. The color can very from a dark red/black to a light brown/black.

Could be wrong though! I've never owned one, just got covered in their crap! (literally... used to work at K9 kennels that had mostly GSD and BM with the occasional DS, GSP and lab - plus mixes of GSD and BM)
I completely understand. I was a dog groomer many years ago.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Some of you may remember a little over a year ago I rescued a little Malinois puppy that had distemper and had been abused badly. We tried everything for over a month and had the best vet care for him but his little body couldn’t beat it in the end. Losing him broke me down for a while. I’ve heard people say you can’t love a dog that quickly but I loved that dog so much from the moment I brought his frail body home. When he passed away I lost faith in people for a while and even though I kept up my daily hikes and walks with my poodle Beans, a piece was missing.

Today I came across a listing for a rescued malinois/Dutch Shepherd female completely randomly while out eating lunch. About 6 months old and from military/police stock. Kept outside and too much to handle for most people that aren’t familiar with the breed. I jumped on emailing the person who rescued her and made my husband come home from work early lol.

Here she is in all her beauty. We’ve named her Runa. View attachment 323380
She did not find the bath fun lol. View attachment 323382
She’s still a puppy so has some growing to do and lots of training for sure. View attachment 323383

She’s the best Christmas surprise and just pure love. (With a side of fur missle lol) :whttodo:
Ooooo, that coloration is nice!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw :congrats5:!!! That must have been meant to be. I remember your little rescue, and how heartbreaking it was to hear that he lost his fight. He was still so blessed to have you and your family in his last days:hug8: Runa is a very lucky girl, I wish you a lot of luck together! She is gorgeous, please keep posting pictures:heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you everyone! I was sure to give Runa a small treat for every comment from her AA friends. :heart:

She is definitely going to be a handful. She has zero training so far and all the strength of her breeds so we’re going to have an intensive training schedule starting today. She also has her first vet appt this afternoon to get her rabies shot and her pre spay check up.

Potty training is going to be rough too apparently since she kept me up most of the night and wouldn’t go outside but finally did her business at the foot of the bed on the floor lol. She of course wasn’t in trouble since she’s never been in a house before last night (even the rescue kept her in an outside run) but here’s hoping she’s a quick learner.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa

I couldn’t imagine working in a kennel full of these pups. They must have kept you on your toes lol.

The woman who runs the rescue works exclusively with malinois and Dutch shepherds and she said that she thinks Runa looks just like a pure bred Dutch in both build and coloration. But I do see the lighter color of tan coming out in certain light that brings to mind the malinois. She’s her own thing I guess lol.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!