• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Issues in 24 year old Meyers Parrot

notinmo1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa B
0BCB7104-9372-4483-91B0-F2BD8D708D93_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a 24 year old Meyers parrot (since fledge). She is not around any other animals. Not sure if she is coming to end of life or what.. she has NEVER had issues or been sick. About 3 months ago she had an issue with her foot. She was limping pretty badly. I took her to vet and he gave her laser treatment for a couple weeks. She seemed just about back to normal. Recently, however, she has been showing weakness in that same foot. I took her back for a laser treatment (doc said it could be arthritis from old age) but it didn't have the same healing affect. He then put her on a few days of an NSAID and an antibiotic. She was still eating fine and preening... just seemed "off" to me an still favoring the one foot slightly.

Now she is off all the meds but every couple of days she is holding her poop for way longer than usual (especially in the morning). It looks okay when it comes, but it's a lot, obviously. Also, she is having a twitching from time-to-time on the "bad" foot. Almost like she is scratching her head, but she isn't. She also seems to flap more than usual -- and sometimes loses her balance. She is a pretty relaxed bird the last few years. She doesn't play a lot and mostly just sleeps on her play stand next to me. So beyond the weird physical symptoms, she is loving and normal.

The vet I am taing her to now say she is healthy as long as she continues to eat and preen. I'm just concerned. I don't have $$$ to spend on her (he said he could do xrays and blood work if it was waranted)... but if she is at end of life, I don't want to go too crazy -- I just want her to be comfortable always.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Sounds like she may be getting some health issues and I would consider maybe some bloodwork to make sure all the insides are okay if the vet thinks it's warranted. It sounds like you have had her for a long time and I would hate for you to lose her for something that could be fairly easily fixed if known. A little money spent early may save a bunch later. If you are concerned about the finances talk to the vet, they often have programs, or ways to make the payments possible on a limited income.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It could be arthritis for sure; depending on her diet you could also try some extra calcium, as sometimes calcium deficiency can lead to muscle issues. My Jardine's fell a lot when he first got here; he's also 24.

Any chance of an egg, or have reproductive areas been checked? That can also lead to leg issues and holding poop.