• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Isla the African Ringneck

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I haven't officially announced Isla's adoption to friends or family yet. My social media itch really needs stuff to be posted online so they don't get lost in the looser parts of my brain. Plus I figured this would be a cool way for me to look back on my journey with my first bird ever.

July 3, 2021 (DAY ONE)
I pack up the 3 dogs and start driving down from central to southern California around midnight to pick up Isla from her previous owner, who I found on Craisglist. Take multiple naps on the road and make it to my brother's place around 8am, nap until 11am and drive a bit further to get the bird, leaving the 3 poops at my brother's. We meet at a McDonald's parking lot and while the owner tries grab her from the crate, she flies out onto the pavement, and runs underneath my car. The owner gets her son to help. This is all happening right in front of the end of the McDonald's drive-thru where all the customers are just watching the 3 of us are doing this weird dance around a parked SUV. Isla eventually gets underneath a bush and I think we spent a good 30 minutes trying to catch her, which was near impossible because she blended right in with the green leaves. We could only spot the long teal feathers of her tail. Eventually, I manage to grab her body and get her into my travel cage. I hand over the $400, the owner apologizes profusely for the hassle, I say no worries, I really was just glad we got her back safe. As she drives off, I look down and realize her tail feathers are missing! I figured we probably accidentally pulled her feathers during the chase. I run back to the bushes to look for them, just since they were such a pretty blue, but no luck, we'll just have to wait for her to grow them back. When I get back to my brother's place, I figured I'd better just leave early and get Isla home after this whole ordeal. So we pack up the poops again, this time plus one rough-looking ringneck (I think she was molting? had a tons of pin feathers on her head) who I then discovered is also missing a right toe (I think she may have been a breeder bird. The previous owner said she was initially rescued from a "bad situation" by an old guy, who then rehomed the bird to her). All 5 of us get back home by evening, within less than 24 hours of leaving the night before. We get ready for bed. I'm physically exhausted, but with a very warm heart. The next morning, I wake up to her first flock call, and I am again elated all over the fact that I finally have a BIRD. I'll explain later why this was such a pivotal time in my life. What was your first day with your bird like? Probably smoother than mine I hope!

Attachments

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
September 25, 2021
It's been 2.5 months since Isla has been home. Last week, we traveled to my parents' home in the Bay and spent about 10 days up there. Isla was set up in her travel cage, the big finch one by Petco. It was pretty much the same size as the top part of her home cage so she had a good amount of space. During our time there, we made HUGE milestones. She began taking treats from my fingers and hand, and even took some from my cousins. It was amazing to see her perk up and waddle over every time we showed her a treat. We even started flight training and she did a few good laps between her cage and training perch. Her target training was working so well! She overcame her fear of my phone so I was able to get some better photos of her. She even started making new noises every time my dad whistled to her. She was really becoming engaged with us. But then she had her vet appointment which she DID NOT like. It was pretty stressful for her. She was toweled for a good several minutes while she had her nails trimmed and blood drawn from her neck. Screamed the entire time she was handled but at least the vet didn't see any abnormalities on her exam. I think it was really traumatic since afterwards, she was slightly hesitant to take treats from my fingers. We are now back home and she is in her regular, larger cage. It's been a few days now and she's only come out once but shortly went back inside. I've also noticed she's been holding her left leg up since her vet appointment. I think she must've strained it during her nail trim since her nails kept getting caught in the towel before they were trimmed. She is still active though, climbing and flying around her cage, going to her different food bowls, and FINALLY chewing on some toys. She even took interest in some foot toys I made her so I don't think her leg is hurting that bad. I'm wondering if it's her foot that's causing her to not want to come out. Or maybe just being back in her old cage has caused her to regress to being more cage-bound. She took some treats from my fingers yesterday but not wanting to today. It's like we just took 2 steps backwards. Oh well, guess we'll have to take it slow and work our way back.