• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Your Bird In Front Of A Window?

Is your birds' cage in front of a window?

• Total voters

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I have been considering rearranging my (bird) room, I am indecisive. Lovie's play/sleep cage is mostly in front of a window, but I thought about moving it to the opposite, window-less corner for more space and quieter at night. He plucks so I was unsure of how important an outdoor view is?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
One of my cages is partly in a window and the other two are on the other side of the living room ...I would put the bird that is a plucker away from the window he/she might be getting to much stimulation from the world outside ..best of luck :)

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise is in a corner with 2 windows. Bright, sunny, but not so direct that she would get hot. I think she likes to look out the window, second floor and I haven't seen hawks/predators or I would move her. She supervises when I mow the lawn...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos is near a window, but I keep the blinds down most of the time.
Same with my other two. There are 2 large windows behind them, but I have double drapes that are drawn most of the time.

I can't supervise what's happening outside when I'm not home, and I trust nothing. ;)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a mix. Zippy and Peppy are Infront of a window. Pi is half windowed. And the parrotlets are against a wall but near windows.

Wild birds are attracted to those at windows. I use the hexed packing paper to cover a portion of the finches and it helps.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have a mix too.

Some play areas are in front of windows while others are not and the birds can move between them. At night I close the drapes by Oscar's primary area while he sleeps, and in the morning he'll fly to a stand that's near an open window when he's ready to wake (he'll play there until I get up). Our morning routine opens his drapes and he returns to his favourite area in front of the newly opened window (based on his behaviour, I'd say Oscar is a fan of open windows -- Marvin too). Jericho likes to be near me whether there's a window involved or not.

Food and water are away from windows (my effort to have them focus).
Sleep cages are in a windowless room (to more easy control sleep cycles)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripely is half way in front of a window. All my other birds hated being in front of a window so they were on a wall

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Squeaks cage is in front of a window, Burt is on the opposite of room but with good view out the window, Birdie is in an aviary and seems to spend as much time looking out as facing the solid back wall of the aviary.

Alynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bluebird
I did have my bird in by a window he got very sick and almost died. He now is away from the window so he doesnt get cold from a draft. I would not have a bird by the window at night. Be careful of drafts.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo and KiKi's cages are infront of two glass doors giving them a good view of the garden, when the weather allows they are moved into the conservatory getting a good view of the garden.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
None of mine are. Ernest is in a corner, so sort of is a bit. They can all see the window though.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Walter’s cage allows for a window view on one end. In the winter he has one of those cage mounted heaters and I have some cardboard to prevent drafts where Walter likes to sleep. Even so he is nearly blind, Walter likes to look/ listen at the window. We have barn swallows that nest under the eaves by the windows and it is highly entertaining for Walter and the cats.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The goffins girls' day cages are both by windows & Bug's night cage is next to one, but Puffin's is beside it against a wall and the blinds are closed at night and the girls' cages are covered together. :sleeping5: :sleeping5:

The macaw boys' cage is in the sunroom surrounded by windows. I open everyone's blinds half-way before "birdie breakfast" and close them just before "dinner seeds". But the boys have a timer on their light that comes on shortly after sun up & off after dinner with a 4 hour break at midday to give them a rest from any LED flicker.

I would like to set up a night cage for Buzz if Leon starts sleeping on his swing in the living room or on their playstand more often, and it would be against a wall, but that's mostly of where I'd have the space. :shrug2:

I keep a ceramic heater in the boys' room and one by the window next to Bug's night cage set to turn on low if it gets below 70-ish so they don't get chilly in the winter. :)

Last edited:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I have Spearmint near a window and a wall, he loves to watch the things happening outside as we live near a bird-filled 'forest'. If anything happens outside when he gets a bit spooked he goes and sits behind the wall. :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t have a window in my living room. I only have one little window in my kitchen, and a bedroom window in my whole apartment (it´s weird!).

But I have large double glass doors, and I have floor cages on either side of the doors, so I suppose that´s the same thing. They birds like to observe the doves on the patio outside. When the birds are in their cages, the doors are wide open so there´s plenty of fresh air coming in for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don´t have a window in my living room. I only have one little window in my kitchen, and a bedroom window in my whole apartment (it´s weird!).

But I have large double glass doors, and I have floor cages on either side of the doors, so I suppose that´s the same thing. They birds like to observe the doves on the patio outside. When the birds are in their cages, the doors are wide open so there´s plenty of fresh air coming in for them.
Technically this is my situation too. No window in the living room but double glass doors.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi is in front of a covered deck window just during the day. We are on the 7th floor and many birds visit each day, mostly house finches. The outside birds land on the railing or the table right outside the window, getting pretty close, facing in and looking at Gigi. She will stand still to watch for a moment but then gets on with her activities.