• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Tweetie Sick?

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Tweetie has a recurring of problem with green and watery droppings in the morning. It has been happening off and on - not every day and its been only one or two droppings in the morning and then they look normal the rest of the day. This morning it has been several droppings and they are more watery than in the past. The first picture is his droppings during the night. The second is his droppings this morning. I just took a picture of his droppings this afternoon and they look more normal. I called his vet but she's not in until Tues although they said she would get back to me. The only thing different when the watery morning droppings started is his new toy which has paper butterflies on it. He has been chewing them up. Could he be swallowing bits of the paper and that's causing the problem (see the yellow butterfly that he's been going to town on)? But why does it show up only in the morning? I removed the toy and put a different one in. Any ideas? BTW Tweetie will only eat seeds. @Davi @Lori D Pert @JoJo&Loki @Lady Jane @Zara
Overnight poop.jpg poop morning.jpg afternoon droppings.jpg chewed toy.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My budgie does poop like that if he has had fresh grasses or veg later in the evening the night before. Are you sure it is not due to foods or a drink of water before bed?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It looks like just a little extra urine. We all need a pee in the morning even budgies. A lot of parrots enjoy chewing on paper or cardboard, it's only very rare and by accident they'll actually swallow any.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does not look too abnormal. What is your bird eating?

If you want i added Apple Cider vinegar ,Brags, to the drinking water once per month routinely For budgies it is 2tsp per quart of water until gone.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
They don't look out of the ordinary to me. Budgies will have watery poops for a variety of innocent reasons, for instance, morning, warm weather, change in diet, new toys, having a bath, moulting, etc. I would only worry if he is sitting all puffed up and not vocalizing or acknowledging his surroundings. If he seems to be his chipper self then I would not worry. Heck Sam has runny poops when she finishes telling me off...lol.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Sorry to hear about this, Anne, especially knowing how much Tweety seems to like that toy. :( I agree with others that morning droppings tend to be more watery and also that paper is usually not an issue per se (my crimson-bellied conure, for example, will play with paper in his beak for minutes at a time but then will eventually drop it). But I think you've definitely done the right thing by removing it from his cage and replacing it for now in the event that he might indeed be accidentally ingesting some of the paper he's been chewing on. Please keep me/us posted on how he's doing and what the vet may have to say. I'm definitely hoping he'll be able to get this toy back, but for now, better safe than sorry, for sure. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help and thank you for tagging me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Lots of birds hold their poops overnight and this will cause droppings to appear different in the morning. They'll usually be larger and can be more loose and watery. I highly doubt the paper on the toy is having any effect.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I heard from the AV. She asked where his was located and how he was covered at night so I sent her a couple of pictures. We've been getting cooler nights and Tweetie's cage is in front of the window. She thinks he might be getting chilled. She said to move him away from the windows at night and if needed put a heat lamp 6-12 inches from his cage. She doesn't think he has an illness because he wouldn't go from watery to normal droppings in a day. She said the watery droppings are not unusual. She also said the paper on the toy is not a problem and even if he did swallow a crumb it wouldn't be a problem and cause watery droppings. So she said I can give him his toy back, yeah!

Attachments

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Thank you so much for the update, @Mybluebird! I'm so glad to hear that he isn't sick and that he'll be able to continue enjoying his toy (I also loved seeing his cage set-up - so nice!). Glad all is well and please do keep me posted if you need anything! :heart:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Glad your AV helped you figure this out- and very happy he gets his fave toy back! :starshower1:
BTW...Mine have runnier poos like that after eating veg or sprouts, so that would’ve been my guess...

So happy all is well!
Good to read, mine are almost always watery since they get chop and sprouted seeds instead of dry seeds.