• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this what you call "adjusting the crop"?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is called "A silly bird making silly moves" LOL

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Looks like a yummy happy dance to me...nom nom nom :rofl:

Adjusting the crop looks like an over exaggerated yawn.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Really? You guys think this is a just a silly behavior and not a matter of body mechanics? :huh:

I don't think this video captures just how weird this actually looks. It's like a big water balloon forms in his throat that wiggles left and right. His body stays still but the crop area moves.

He does it every time he eats bread! I just thought the bread was thick and doughy and he's pushing it down.

He does the exaggerated yawn thing every night and I knew that was adjusting his crop but I thought this was just another form of it.

Is my bird a weirdo? o_O

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@CrazyBirdChick
What kind of bread?
Maybe if it is too difficult to swallow, as you mentioned, best not to feed him the bread.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chickie does that with pizza crust, rare treat. I give her a softer inner piece.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick
What kind of bread?
Maybe if it is too difficult to swallow, as you mentioned, best not to feed him the bread.
That particular time it was a tiny piece of an egg flavored bagel. It happens with all different textures of bread though. Even soft multigrain waffles, and really soft 12 grain bread. :shrug:

Chickie does that with pizza crust, rare treat. I give her a softer inner piece.
Thanks for responding. Atleast Blu is not a freak of nature then. This is a thing! :)

Do you guys think it's uncomfortable or unhealthy for him to do that motion, & get bread, like once every two weeks or so?

I know too much can cause yeast overgrowth so I try not to give it to him often but, I love bread and, he has become a little piggie bandit with wings trying to eat everything I eat. He runs or flies to my plates and helps himself.
20170619_220054.jpg

20170619_220102.jpg

20170619_220058.jpg

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I think if it were uncomfortable he would not continue eating it - he looks like he is enjoying it so I think it is okay. My guys move on pretty quickly if there is something they don't like or is hurting them. I am definitely not an expert though :shrug3:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He does the exaggerated yawn thing every night and I knew that was adjusting his crop but I thought this was just another form of it.
No it isn't. But it can be that the bread is difficult to swallow as I do see his crop moving. Try to give him water the next time.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Blu is a beautiful bird.
Has he been working on any weaving projects?

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He is such a cutie :heart: It looks like he is taking little bites and chewing it up good

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
No it isn't. But it can be that the bread is difficult to swallow as I do see his crop moving. Try to give him water the next time.
Thank you, that's a great idea! I have given him water a couple of times, and it seems to make it stop immediately, but admittedly, I don't always think of it . So I will make sure I always offer it from now on with any bread. Thanks!

Blu is a beautiful bird.
Has he been working on any weaving projects?
Thank you! Interestingly enough...for some reason he completely gave up weaving one day! It happened at the same time that I noticed his poops were different (more watery) I took him to the vet and he was deemed healthy so I'm not sure what his reasoning to stop was.

I figured that since he lost interest it was a perfect time to finally demolish his big project he had going to deep clean his cage.

He literally just yesterday started toying around with his coffee stirs again. So hopefully he'll get back to work at some point soon. It was a cool activity that kept him busy. Now a days he seems to like using all his energy to fly around and get into everything. He reminds me of a quaker version of Eric the legend sometimes. He is always up to something! :cool4:

He is such a cutie :heart: It looks like he is taking little bites and chewing it up good
Hehe, yes! He eats every crumb carefully! Not like those veggies he takes a lick or minuscule bite out off before chuckling onto the ground. He's careful not to waste any bread!

:)