• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this vasa normal??

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
Hello, now I'm fascinated by Vasa parrots. They are so cute and cuddly and very active!
So before I adopt them, I found there information.
I saw a column which insist Vasa tend to easily infected by PBFD(Psittacine beak and feather disease).
I didn't know about PBFD and how horrible disease before I research this.
I found a picture and some information about PBFD.

untitled.png <<<< This picture is abnormal Vasa parrot. He is infected by PBFD

And this is the symptoms of Acute(and description of Vasa parrot's abnormal appearance)

Acute – mostly in nestlings or very young birds during their first phase of feather growth. There is usually a loss of powder down, with resulting shiny black beak in those birds whose beaks are usually dusty grey. There may be abnormally coloured feathers (e.g white in the normally black Vasa parrot, pink in the African Grey). Affected birds become quiet and depressed, and with a generally ‘grubby’ appearance. Many have diarrhoea, and all will succumb quickly to secondary infections. The classic manifestation of this type of PBFD is the young, recently purchased African grey parrot, showing depression, abdominal pain, bunching spasms of the legs and feet, with a post-mortem examination revealing Aspergillosis infection. This fungal invader is a common secondary problem in such an immuno-compromised bird.[Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease]

Anyway, I just read that and forgot it, before I accidentally found some Pictures in a breeder's website.

I would like to ask you about that pictures.

birdcastle_co_kr_20161001_213723.jpg <<<< This is a initial picture of abnormal vasa parrot.

제목 없음-2.jpg 제목 없음-3.jpg 제목 없음-1.jpg
And this is now Status. This pictures are an abnormal vasa parrot of 2 pairs. (in this pictures are the same vasa) Others looks very healthy.

The breeder believes that he is pied Vasa parrot. but I couldn't find any information about Vasa parrot's mutations.
So made a appointment with the breeder, and I visited the his farm yesterday, and his(the Vasa) status turned like those three pictures.
even his tail was gone, but the breeder said that he is suffering molting severely.
and insist that there is no way he is infected by PBFD.
So I just heard his insistence and cameback.
How about your opinions? is this Vasa normal? or am I right?
In my country, there is no Vasas except a breeder who have 2 pairs of Vasas.
If I want to adobt a vasa, there is no options. Only through him I could adopt their juvenile as a pet.

Now I'm desperate.

There is my questions.

1. How about your opinions? is this Vasa normal?(Really he is a pied vasa?) or am I right?

2. If I'm right, what should I do? should I abandon the adoption? Others looks very healthy.

3. The breeder artificially incubate parrots.
If parents were infected by this virus, the juveniles will be 100% infected?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it is pied, then ask the breeder if the mutation is dominant or recessive. Are they born that way or do they molt into the coloration? If they molt into the coloration, how long does it take? Does the coloration ever change?

Just because we can't find any information about a mutation, especially in a lesser common species, doesn't mean that mutation doesn't exist.

However, like you, I, too, would be skeptical. When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to avoid those birds.

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
even though others are very healthy, I should avoid the adoption? there is no options....? TT _ TT
Becasue... there is no way that I can adopt this species in my country.
I'm so sorry but couldn't you advice me?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here are hundreds of pictures of Vasa' and not a one even resembles those you looked at in the least;
vasa parrots - Google Search

If you adopt one of those and it dies of PBFD or another disease - where are you then?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If the virus is present in the environment, then it is a nearly 100% chance that all of the juveniles will be affected. This virus persists in the environment for a very long time, and is easily transmissible.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
If the virus is present in the environment, then it is a nearly 100% chance that all of the juveniles will be affected. This virus persists in the environment for a very long time, and is easily transmissible.
I would advise not to adopt from this breeder for the reason quoted.
And the Internet is a vast source of information from all over the world. If there were pied Vasas, I would think something should show up. While there is a chance there is such a parrot, it seems a bit risky to me, both in the health, financial and emotional way.

Some one in this forum will shed some light on this.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am not a breeder but think if I was, I would have the bird tested rather than risk losing my whole flock. If he has not tested (or cannot provide proof) I would not take any of his birds. Even at that, I understand false negatives and false positives can be a problem.

Will he take the bird back and provide a refund if you get the test? Of course there is lways the risk in that that you get attached to the bird, regardless.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
If your heart is set on adopting, I would follo
I am not a breeder but think if I was, I would have the bird tested rather than risk losing my whole flock. If he has not tested (or cannot provide proof) I would not take any of his birds. Even at that, I understand false negatives and false positives can be a problem.

Will he take the bird back and provide a refund if you get the test? Of course there is lways the risk in that that you get attached to the bird, regardless.
If you are set on adopting from this breeder, please heed the suggestion from Lwalker.
Also have you googled the name of the breeder to see if they are reputable Vasa breeder?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what is that mean 'where are you then'? I can't understand.. (not offence :)

Meaning, If you adopt one, and it dies of PBFD, are you any better off than if you hadn't adopted it at all?

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
I totally agree with you. I just wondered, Other pairs seems very healthy and whether artificial incubation would avoid infection or not.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There is medicine to help with the symptoms, its not curable. My sweet Valentine has it, vets cant give you a timeline, it could from day one to whenever. Everyday when I go to uncover Valentines cage, I wait to hear a noise to make sure she is alive. You take it one day at a time. Its alot of worry and for me, trips to the vet are quiet the norm. If she sneezes wrong, off to the vet we go. Some birds do quite well and and have a long life span as long as medicine is given everyday for the rest of their lives. I would consider another breed of bird unless you want this responsibility and worry for as long as the bird lives??

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors

thank you, your opinion is very helpful.

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
If your heart is set on adopting, I would follo

If you are set on adopting from this breeder, please heed the suggestion from Lwalker.
Also have you googled the name of the breeder to see if they are reputable Vasa breeder?
nope, the breeder was not a professional. just took them from another breeder who are in spain and breeding. In South Korea(my country, not the North!) there is no ways except through him.

whereisChalie

Meeting neighbors
There is medicine to help with the symptoms, its not curable. My sweet Valentine has it, vets cant give you a timeline, it could from day one to whenever. Everyday when I go to uncover Valentines cage, I wait to hear a noise to make sure she is alive. You take it one day at a time. Its alot of worry and for me, trips to the vet are quiet the norm. If she sneezes wrong, off to the vet we go. Some birds do quite well and and have a long life span as long as medicine is given everyday for the rest of their lives. I would consider another breed of bird unless you want this responsibility and worry for as long as the bird lives??
I'm so sorry, I was foolish. I just thought one way. I will pray for you and your little angel.