• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this the right path?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I feel like a bad parront :( is he going to be ok?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OK that's probably just the bit of shock to his system plus it's probably his bedtime. I'd probably let him rest for a little bit now.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
how do i get him back in the cage? too risky because i sleep in the same room say I bump into somewhere when hes asleep that would be bad

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Don't feel bad! This can happen to anyone; I've had my fair share of scarey crashing-flights. I'm sure he'll be just fine! By tomorrow he should be completely back to normal; you're just going to want to watch his behaviour to make sure.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Your not a bad parront. He just got surprised, it's not your fault! He should be fine by tomorrow.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
What things should I watch for?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
in fact he's so chill i'm not sure if i can get him to move without scaring him

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm going to recommend you start a new thread to hopefully get advice from more experienced people. I can't advise much here. Can't currently think of who to tag who is online right now.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
should i do it in behavoir byway or 911 emergency?

truenorth

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Newman
You're not alone...Our hand fed cockatiel was so quiet we thought we lucked out in the noisy bird category or the breeder accidentally gave us a female. It was close to 10 months before he started to be his true self. In 1.5 yrs of owning a cockatiel I have learned cockatiels function on their time not ours. Patience is key.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Question: how do I teach my birb to whistle songs? I play songs on the piano for a few hours every day, but he isn't learning any of the them (i'm playing to practice, not specifically for him, but I thought he would pick up a tune or two). Does anybody suggest any videos to have him listen to? Thanks :)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
hello. i have a 7 month old 'tiel who's name is sunflower, and to be completely honest with you, I think he's a boring bird. all he does is sit in a corner all day, in the same spot (he's not sick) except for eating in drinking. he doesn't scream so i assume he's not stressed, he doesn't pluck, or have any other behavoiral problems. i've tried:
-new cage (rn hes in a spacious cage but he doesnt use like any of it)
-toys (doesn't play with them)
-step up (nips and hisses)
-clicker training (doesn't work.)
-keep cage door open. I keep the door open with a perch that's on the door so he can hop onto it but he only goes if there's millet and finishes the millet and goes back and squats for the rest of the day
-target traning (no response to target)

so...i'm considering getting a "hand tame" cockatiel so that can show sunflower that hands aren't scary, and toys are fun. is this the right way to go? i understand 2 cockatiels = double responsibility and costs but honestly i feel kind of bad for sunflower, and that he needs a friend.
i know this is wrong but whenever i see a social media 'tiel or a friend's hand tame 'tiel i get a little...jealous. i hate to say this but sunflower has let me down. people on youtube just "push their finger into their tiels chest" and boom now they step up. it almost feels like magic that i dont have, or i lost the genetic lottery when picking my bird.

thanks for any help!

Such a same! I think maybe have more time to bond with him first! Has he been checked by a vet? Because even if you suspect no illness, it's always better safe than sorry! He's probably skittish for now since he's not even a year yet...As the others said, be kinder to yourself! Be persistent! Some birds take longer than others to get used to people. If you're able to set up some form of a play date with a potential breeder with another cockatiel, that might show you how Sunflower will respond to another bird. If you DO chose to get another bird, remember the responsibility! You need a whole new set up unless they cage together! Also, remember to quarantine the new bird if you get one and don't introduce them until the quarantine of that bird is over! Make sure to get the bird checked by a vet too so Sunflower doesn't get exposed to any illness! I wish you luck! If you need some toy recommendations I can try to help :cantwait:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Yup! If you read the current posts, I've come pretty far from when I made that post !!