• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this the right path?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'll try to answer tomorrow; in a hurry right now. But as far as toys go; it's a given that he will ignore it for the first while that it's in his cage/area (maybe even be scared of it). But don't be discouraged, this is normal. Part of the routine. :D

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Take your time, I can wait.:)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I like to display new toys/perches somewhere easily visible but a couple feet away, and make sure to ring the bell or rustle it if appropriate so they know it makes a sound and aren’t startled the first time they touch it.

Depending on reactions, I’ll either leave it visible like that for a few more days or put it in the cage. For instance, there was a really long intro process for one of those round atom/orb shaped swings because Jazzy screamed every time I hung it outside the cage, so I’d put it away for a day or two then try it again further away. I thought it would never get INTO the actual cage, much less get played with, but he likes it fine now.

If it’s pretty similar to an existing toy then I don’t do the whole intro process, I just switch them out. He’s fine with any of the Planet Pleasures toys made of palm leaf, for instance, even if it’s a new design.

I’ve also noticed that, other than the dreaded orb swing, he is generally a lot braver now than he used to be. At some point he started recognizing toys and being interested in new ones rather than afraid. I hope your bird can realize that too! He’s a little younger than my Jasper was when we got him, so please don’t feel like it’s too late to introduce new things and have him adapt.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yup, sunny sleeps on the soft perch. Ive tried mushing millet into fruit and veg-no luck. I got the bird safe perch from my yard; the onlu issue is that style of perch can only extend from one end to the other thus making movement too easy. I dont want to install a natural wood perch only for it to fall and for sunny to get scared. Also how do I install new toys and things without him getting scared?

And for the toy thing ive tried playing with them in front of him but hes not intrested.

I apologize for spelling-this was done on a phone.
So those kinds of perches are great (even though they extend from one side to the other). I use sooo many of those perches. Just from outside, cut them to size, clean them, and stick em in. Sometimes the birds even like taking off the bark from the natural ones so it's a great "toy" option too. To encourage more movement you're rather going to do stuff like spread out his water and food dishes (you can even put in multiple, each with only a bit of food in them), or hang small sprigs of millet in different places in the cage. ChomskyPom has given great advice on how to deal with the whole "new toy" issue.
As for veg, this is a long road. You can start with the leaves of lettuce like I mentioned - it's not too big a deal and should get him curious (with any of this, don't get discouraged if he just ignores it for the first couple days or longer. With veg you'll just keep replacing it with fresh stuff so he gets used to it in his environment). That's a great first step. Otherwise you can chop up some veggies and put them in his food dish for part of the day. You don't want too many seeds mixed in; maybe just a sprinkling of millet to get him interested but that's it. Different birds have different preferences on how they like their veg. My Phoenix likes them "shredded" by like a food processer, my doves will only eat them if they're hand-chopped into fine little pieces (princesses :rolleyes:), and both Phoenix and my budgies will eat them if they're in larger pieces. Large enough that the tastes aren't all mixed together and they can nibble on the individual pieces (but some birds love the mixed salad presentation). I love zip-tying stuff to the side of the cage, personally (not for like a whole chop meal obviously, :D but for the occasional treat and when birds are still learning to eat veggies). They usually get curious about that stuff. Oh and most birds don't like fruit (which is good, since fruit is high in sugar) - mine will generally only eat veggies. Oh and everyone has their "favourite" veggie too (though it sometimes changes). Broccoli is often a fav cuz of the "seed-like" buds that they can pick off, and I think lettuce (and kale; kale is great) are always a fav. And to start off with, beak testing is a great victory! Don't worry about your bird actually consuming large amounts of it in the first while; it could take him a while to figure it out. With some time and experimenting you'll find out what Sunny likes the most. :)
And when putting new stuff in his cage, while he's in it; it's pretty much inevitable that he will at least be uncomfortable, but you're just going to move really slowly and talk to him quietly and calmly. If he looks very scared or moves away from you you'll just pause for a second, letting him know that you see his worry, and keep doing what you're doing really slowly and gradually.

Last edited:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
We have a problem: sunny escaped after hew as enjoying his millet on the table. I was getting a bit too comfy with him being a timid bird and he just flew. He kind of crashed into walls and now he's behind my computer. I don't want to towel/scare him but rn he seems pretty relaxed? what do I do??

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OK, breathe. This can be scarey the first couple times. Did he crash hard? You're going to want to move really quietly and talk to him gently, constantly (or even play quiet music). You might want to either move your computer so that he isn't stuck and can fly back, or try to lure him out. See if he'll eat some millet from you. You don't need to towel him - at least not yet. I'm sure he'll go back to his cage on his own if he figures out how. Also the seeming relaxation is probably him freeze-responding to the scarey new situation. Once he settles down a bit he will hopefully start moving and go back to his cage. He's not clipped right?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
He didn't crash hard. It's a desktop-Sorry I didn't specify. He's not accepting millet.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
He's just kind of chilling all poofy on the edge of the desk now...

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OK don't worry about him accepting millet just give him time to figure out what he wants to do next. On the edge of the desk - so not stuck behind anything? Clear line of sight to his cage?

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I would let him chill there for a few minutes, let him calm down, then see if he will eat millet. He's probably not eating rn cause he got startled.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I would let him chill there for a few minutes, let him calm down, then see if he will eat millet. He's probably not eating rn cause he got startled.
He's pracitcally half asleep for some reason

is he hiding his fear?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's fine. OK so his cage is really nearby right? Can you move it a little so that Sunny can hop back on it without having to fly? If that's possible, I bet it would make it a lot easier for him. And if it's the playstand (really cool one btw) that scared him then maybe move that so he can reach his door easier.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I can't move the cage it's too heavy and if i moved it near him he would probably go backwards and fly or something
the playstand isnt that close to his cage the cage door is wide open its just a weird angle

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He's pracitcally half asleep for some reason

is he hiding his fear?
How long has he been there? Does he look ok - do his eyes look normal, does he respond to movement and such with moving his head or eyes? He could have banged his head; in the next little while you're gonna want to watch closely to make sure he didn't get hurt. Hopefully he'll go back to his cage and eat and drink. For right now I would let him stay where he is and maybe just move some seeds towards him to see if he wants to eat.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
eyes look like he's going to fall asleep. i'm really sorry i couldn't watch him it was so sudden i didn't know what to do
at this hour he's usually pretty sleepy
responds fine, if i move my hand close he steps back

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
eyes look like he's going to fall asleep. i'm really sorry i couldn't watch him it was so sudden i didn't know what to do
at this hour he's usually pretty sleepy
Hmm ok but if you move your hand closer to him does he wake up and move a little as he normally would? Just trying to gauge his reactions here. This happens a lot! First flights are always scarey for birds but they're a necessary and great step. Oh, saw your edit ok

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hmm ok but if you move your hand closer to him does he wake up and move a little as he normally would? Just trying to gauge his reactions here. This happens a lot! First flights are always scarey for birds but they're a necessary and great step.
he walks away
he's not fully asleep just kinda drowsy