• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this the right path?

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
As others have mentioned, trust has to be earned. It's likely that your bird just has a different way of showing his affection for you. I'd recommend waiting a while before making any big decisions regarding a new bird or rehoming. Keep in mind that if you go away to college (I'm assuming you're still in school) or have to move on in your life, a mellow bird will probably be easier for your parent(s) to handle. Two birds translate to double the responsibility, and at times, I feel overwhelmed with my three.
Also, another bird often makes getting someone to care for your birds much more difficult if you go on vacation.
One of my parakeets took four years to finally become tame enough to eat from hands, and she was an impulse buy. Despite being a young bird, she was frightened of everything. My other parakeets did encourage her to become more friendly around people, but she's still relatively hands-off. She does love recall and target training, but she will likely never be as tame as my other two birdies, and I've come to understand that.
Your bird might think that you're boring, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't love you. In a way, it's a simple relationship that can become more complex as your bond strengthens. Respect and enjoy your bird for who he is; Not every bird or person will have the same personality, and a more relaxed bird will probably seem more appealing to you when you're older and are busy with serious jobs and/or relationships.

Of course, it's ultimately your decision.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Honestly, in my opinion it's a real problem how wide-spread this idea of a hand-tame, cuddly, people-loving bird is. It keeps many bird people from appreciating and loving birds for what they are - they're always thinking "but why can't I have what 'everyone else' has". You kinda want a dog, more than a bird; something that shows its affection all the time and lets you cuddle it (and never goes hormonal, can be left alone, easier to care for - I mean dogs are just perfect). I get it, completely, but, y'know, cuddle a dog who enjoys it instead of pushing it on your bird who doesn't want it. I love birds and I love them being birds. If ever I have the opportunity of having birds in my future, I'd go straight for wild untamed ones. You don't need to tame things to love them or to be loved by them. :)
The truth of the matter is even if you rehome this one and get a handtame bird, there are zero guarantees. This bird might come to you, seemingly everything you ever wanted. Scared and in a new environment, depending on how her previous family was, you might be able to do everything you want with her and you'll be amazed. But that's not trust and doesn't last. Then hormones could hit, and she'd act like she hates the very sight of you and tries to attack you. Or she could get clingy and needy and only want to be on you at all times, and otherwise scream her head off. Or you might meet a bird and see how sweet and loving and happy she is with her family - take her home and not even recognize her anymore as she, in fear and confusion, stays away from you. Or you might get a bird that comes to you clipped and is everything you ever wanted. But when you let her get her freedom and identity back by letting her have her wings, she might discover there's such a thing as "freedom", not having to do what the humans want at all times, and spend all her time flying and playing, being a little rebellious to make up for lost time, and making herself feel happy and secure that way. Let me end by saying, many of the birds you see being all adorable on youtube are that way because they have to. Learned helplessness. They can't be themselves or live their own lives because their owners have a certain "picture" in mind of what they want (and of what they want to portray on social media).
You've gotten a whole lot of advice here on how to make your Tiel more active. You need to improve her living quality by figuring out how you can get her to live and play. Do that and experiment - it's fun! Be happy with her, love her, and play with her. You don't need to touch her or be anywhere near her to do any of these things. And it will feel so good when she starts getting interested in things. She'll be happier and healthier, and more confident in herself which could very likely lead to her seeking out a relationship with you. On her terms.

Of course this all seems very easy for us to say. But I had two budgies who weren't handtamed and I wanted a bird I could handle. So I decided to home a Tiel, and got a handtamed one. She came to me clipped. She's practically a senior bird. Took a long time to figure out how to get her interested in playing. Now she does. It was just a matter of finding materials that she liked - experimenting, a lot. But regarding the hand-tameness: it's not all it's cracked up to be. She's still a wild bird and needs to be treated as such. I encouraged her to become a lot more independent (including letting her fly - she could hardly remember how to use her body to fly at first; now she adores flying laps just to feel good), and now she's a lot happier and a lot less hands-on. And that's great by me. I thought, at the time, that I was getting like the "perfect" bird. But she wasn't perfect because she wasn't very happy - I mean she used to scream for me anytime she had to be in her cage. That just feels awful. I much prefer things like this. So this has been quite the journey for me (all stuff I could have discovered online from other people's experiences), and granted it's hard to get this without going through it yourself. But still, food for thought. And I get it; holding and petting birds is amazing. So find a place to volunteer where you can handle birds and get your fix that way. Because there is so much more to it when it's your bird.

From my experience I can tell you this: the most joy and fulfillment doesn't come from being able to get all the things that you want from your bird; it comes from making your birds happy.

Last edited:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Okay I have news! He was standing on the dowel that was outside his cage and I think I spooked him because he flew out! Oh no! He landed in a corner, and I lured him back in his cage with some millet. It was really nerveracking but I think it was a good experience! :)

but the weirdest thing was he wasn't very scared. does anybody know why?

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:
Progress...Congrats

Side note Omars has a great reputation. Your lucky to have it local. Penny came from Frans Exotics who I don't think is too far away. You might want to hold off a bit before getting another bird so Sunflower will continue to open up to you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yeah I was thinking of just seeing how it goes for maybe a month or two and if nothing happens then I'll consider going to omar's
I think you should see how it goes for about a year, not just a month or two. You’ll be surprised when you look back and see the progress. It’s just beginning!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Yeah you're already making great progress, wait to see what happens!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad progress is being made. I just had a few comments to add. First, your bird is a baby still. He has a whole life time to learn and develop. Also, every birds adjusts to a new home and people at their own pace. Some birds are ready to go from day one. Others take months. My first cockatiel, Sunny, came to us when he was 15. Every day after work for months I sat with him. I read to him. I sang to him. I hand fed him treats. He wouldn't leave the room where his cage was. I had resigned myself that I would never sit in my living room in the evening and watch TV again. LOL. And then one day, he let me carry him down the hall. (On a pillow- he wouldn't step up on hands yet.) Then, we made it to the living room for a few minutes. Then it progressed to a half hour. Eventually, he became such a brave bird that we let him live cage free during the day. But it took time and a lot of patience. If you encourage your bird and allow him to move at his pace, you will earn his trust. You just have to be a bit creative too with how your interact with him and things you try. :)

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
RN he seems a bit too lazy to even move, is this normal? Yesterday he sat at the perch near the place where he could hop out but didn't hop out. I guess he might just not be feeling it but is there anything I can do to motivate him to move?
I mean the treats are there the motivation isnt.

Last edited:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I think you got some great advice from Khizz about rearranging the cage to encourage your tiel to move around, and how that can help them be braver in general. What’s your setup like, both inside and outside the cage?

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
What did you do with him yesterday? Maybe try to do that today, too. Like @Khizz said, move stuff in the cage around a bit?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
There's three perches and three toys (rope toy trapeeze toy shredding toy) and I'm doing the exact same thing as yesterday. I do want to do some rearranging but since he's on the main perch so much I can't really move it around.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I think I know why: He had a big breakfast so he is not so intrested in treats anymore ? :tongue2:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I feel like he's using that certain spot as his "safe spot" and he'll just return there if anything scares him. Should I be concerned?