• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this sour crop?

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Has it just been nighttime for you? If it has, I would wait until the crop completely empties before feeding/allowing the hen to feed.

If the breeder can help you, see which you feel more comfortable with; syringe or spoon - I recommend spoon for novices as it´s harder to aspirate the chicks, but under a breeders tuition, you could learn to syringe feed well if you felt comfortable.
I’d love to use a spoon but I wasn’t sure if he’d eat from one at this age. The syringe scares me. I bought them then immediately became a chicken.
It’s now 830 AM and I’m in need of more sleep. So I’ll do that then look again at the crop when I’m up for good.
Hen is in her own cage right now. Little dude is in the makeshift brooder at my bedside. It’s 92 degrees, hottest I could get, but he’s 7 days old now and some of the incubation charts implied this is okay.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, it can go down 1 degree (F) per day. With the food he still has in the crop he will be fine in the warm brooder while you get a little more sleep :)

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Of course I’m having trouble sleeping because six birds are also awake but is this recommended?

If there is already literature here in the forum that I missed, I apologize.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I’m here with a great update.
It went down the rest of the way after an hour. I think introduced mom and baby and she fed him. I stopped her when his crop looked appropriately full. No air.
He’s in the brooder again.
He’s active and lively and energetic. I heard him calling and looked in to find him at the opening of the brooder standing up and bobbing. This is the most mobile he’s ever been too.
I’m going to boil an egg for mom since I can’t get her to eat any vegetables and she needs it.
I am using a glass filled with damp paper towels for humidity and he loved the sock. My mother is donating a beanie baby to him later.

thank you guys 314998E9-83F7-4F59-8906-0EAF11581D9F.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds good. Glad she is doing well with this feeding/coparenting. For as liong as she feeds him when you present the chick, you can carry on doing this and don´t need to feed him. If you present the chick and she refuses to feed, or attacks the chick, that is when you will need to take over feeding. If she keeps up her side until weaned, you won´t have to feed the little one at all, apart from helping wean later down the road :)
The box looks good. I bet he sleeps in the nook of the sock to the right there, it looks cozy.
I´ve moved this thread to the Nursery forum :rockby:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m here with a great update.
It went down the rest of the way after an hour. I think introduced mom and baby and she fed him. I stopped her when his crop looked appropriately full. No air.
He’s in the brooder again.
He’s active and lively and energetic. I heard him calling and looked in to find him at the opening of the brooder standing up and bobbing. This is the most mobile he’s ever been too.
I’m going to boil an egg for mom since I can’t get her to eat any vegetables and she needs it.
I am using a glass filled with damp paper towels for humidity and he loved the sock. My mother is donating a beanie baby to him later.

thank you guys View attachment 362949
I'm glad to see the baby is doing so well. @Zara is spot on with her advise. I would also recommend allowing feedings with the mother and keeping the baby separate to prevent the over feeding. Time flies and he'll be much more active in a few short days. I'm glad you were prepared with the formula. The video you posted is correct in spoon feeding though you can either make a bent spoon or purchase a hand feeding spoon online. I'm not sure if we have that posted in the breeders blvd. If you have the time and can safely meet with the breeder it would benefit you to learn about hand feeding and proper techniques. Spoon feeding definitely has less risk of aspiration... can be messier but worth the safety factor for the novice.

The link below will show what a hand feeding spoon looks like ( and is a listing selling these spoons but in China). I'm sure you can find US sellers or make one yourself by bending a spoon ( just make sure there are no sharp edges).

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I'm glad to see the baby is doing so well. @Zara is spot on with her advise. I would also recommend allowing feedings with the mother and keeping the baby separate to prevent the over feeding. Time flies and he'll be much more active in a few short days. I'm glad you were prepared with the formula. The video you posted is correct in spoon feeding though you can either make a bent spoon or purchase a hand feeding spoon online. I'm not sure if we have that posted in the breeders blvd. If you have the time and can safely meet with the breeder it would benefit you to learn about hand feeding and proper techniques. Spoon feeding definitely has less risk of aspiration... can be messier but worth the safety factor for the novice.

The link below will show what a hand feeding spoon looks like ( and is a listing selling these spoons but in China). I'm sure you can find US sellers or make one yourself by bending a spoon ( just make sure there are no sharp edges).

I love this forum and all of you guys.
I held the baby in one hand in front of her and after he tapped her beak a few times she fed him without fussing.

I had formula in a shot glass all ready too but that’s fine I prefer it this way.

This would be so much easier in the days prior to covid so it isn’t as easy as just heading over but maybe he’ll agree to mask up.

I hope so.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reach me. I’ll read the spoon information soon as I get on my computer.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Sounds good. Glad she is doing well with this feeding/coparenting. For as liong as she feeds him when you present the chick, you can carry on doing this and don´t need to feed him. If you present the chick and she refuses to feed, or attacks the chick, that is when you will need to take over feeding. If she keeps up her side until weaned, you won´t have to feed the little one at all, apart from helping wean later down the road :)
The box looks good. I bet he sleeps in the nook of the sock to the right there, it looks cozy.
I´ve moved this thread to the Nursery forum :rockby:
He totally snuggled up against the sock and it was the cutest thing.
She’s an incredibly gentle bird and hopefully she continues this with me. He has a nice full but not overflowing crop now and seems very happy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He totally snuggled up against the sock and it was the cutest thing.
She’s an incredibly gentle bird and hopefully she continues this with me. He has a nice full but not overflowing crop now and seems very happy.
Two socks would be ok for him to snuggle into. I came across this pinterest page quite a while ago and saved it to my pinterest. I've not come across this neat idea anywhere else. The photo is a young chick nestled into a rubber glove that was filled with warm water to heat up a chilled chick.... you have to see the image to say... " Great emergency idea!" It's a copywrite image by Susanne Russo.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Two socks would be ok for him to snuggle into. I came across this pinterest page quite a while ago and saved it to my pinterest. I've not come across this neat idea anywhere else. The photo is a young chick nestled into a rubber glove that was filled with warm water to heat up a chilled chick.... you have to see the image to say... " Great emergency idea!" It's a copywrite image by Susanne Russo.

I have a couple gloves on hand! That’s so neat and I bet it promotes faster emptying.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Happy update! Just wanted to pop
In to say he’s still thriving and putting on approx 4-5 grams a day now. I’ve finished setting up an improved brooder and he’s been very cozy. He also looks so different from the sick little guy I pulled from the nest a few days ago.
My bent spoons also arrived.
A55CEBB1-D2C5-4DE8-B8C3-BC6D258D8955.jpeg

Attachments

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby looks great! Thanks for letting us know.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He looks great! Growing by leaps and bounds.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Tiny update before bed and also a check in to make sure we’re still doing well!
He hit 63 grams empty this morning at 14 days old. 15 if you count he was overdue a day.

sometimes it doesn’t seem like his crop empties as fast as it should during the day, but it’s definitely empty in the morning at 6 and 7 when I get up. I think he’s hitting his growth milestones?

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re doing great with him Nicole :)

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
You´re doing great with him Nicole :)
yay!
His crop has been worrying the heck out of me on and off. I thought it was supposed to empty way faster than it does, but he seems just fine!

just recently he’s started to begin grooming himself which is so cool to see. He stands a lot more too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
just recently he’s started to begin grooming himself which is so cool to see.
Yes, I can see he´s quite the pin cuchion in that last pic! :faint:
If you let him snuggle on you while he preens, I recommend putting a towel under him or you will be covered in the keratin sheath pieces he breaks away.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I’m so happy that he’s finally less delicate that we can snuggle. He’s beak grinding and I’m so in love. First time I’ve seen it from him.

I’m pretty sure he’s a him if all my reading on genetics is correct. His mother has red pupils and his eyes have a wine pupil. His father is a white face with brown eyes.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I’m so happy that he’s finally less delicate that we can snuggle. He’s beak grinding and I’m so in love. First time I’ve seen it from him.

I’m pretty sure he’s a him if all my reading on genetics is correct. His mother has red pupils and his eyes have a wine pupil. His father is a white face with brown eyes.
Wine pupils?

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
They’re like the color of red wine and an article I found said it’s a cinnamon trait that means he is split to cinnamon and a male? E1F6B53F-4AD1-4E7A-9510-59927E806D96.jpeg