• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this sour crop?

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Isn’t his mom Lutino? And you say his dad a white faced?
I think he might look like a pearled Tiel which if he is male he will loose the pearls and over the years will like a gray Tiel.

Last edited:

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Yeah. She has a single cinnamon feather too. She’s weird. Lutino split to cinnamon? 6B63C78B-0465-431F-806B-CB5C96361BF1.jpeg

Attachments

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Mmm found this so he is Pearl Cinnamon split to Lutino. It’s possible hen is Clear Pied cinnamon. FABE409B-D52F-4DB1-A301-522D8A95768F.jpeg
0A9DA476-1752-43A1-9761-B5FC883A6F8B.png
012FD3CD-627A-4C68-ACE1-927874D90BB0.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m pretty sure he’s a him if all my reading on genetics is correct. His mother has red pupils and his eyes have a wine pupil. His father is a white face with brown eyes.
They’re like the color of red wine and an article I found said it’s a cinnamon trait that means he is split to cinnamon and a male? View attachment 364040
Yeah. She has a single cinnamon feather too. She’s weird. Lutino split to cinnamon? View attachment 364042
I said single then looked at her tail.
@Tiel Feathers @Monica

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
She’s been very very hard to ID. Even down to her gender. Original owner gave me a boy lutino lmao. I took these photos of all four tiels in our nome. Our one boy Helios is a cinnamon pied. He’s photoed first followed by mom, dad, then baby.
Only moms pupil is red. Her iris is more of a greenish gray color I noticed tho it’s hard to see here. No one wanted to be still for me.
I think you’re correct about her not being a lutino tho.
Unless I’m shining a light everyone’s eyes look brown.
I only realized the baby had red eyes one day when I was looking at his progress photos and it stood out.

Attachments

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
do males always lose the pearls? I think he may be pied because he has a huge white spot on the back of his head with no color.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Her back is super pretty and golden like that. I just assumed it was a Lutino trait.
I love learning all of this but I honestly read the part about fallow and cinnamon before once and I still don’t understand the difference.
Then if it looks like the one in the picture it means she is Lutino Pearl Follow
do males always lose the pearls? I think he may be pied because he has a huge white spot on the back of his head with no color.
yes they loose their pearls over the years.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Then if it looks like the one in the picture it means she is Lutino Pearl Follow

yes they loose their pearls over the years.
Thank you!
I don’t know dads genetics well aside from him being split to pied. The breeder did show me his grandmother tho and she was all white body and face. I don’t know which genes he may have inherited.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Thank you!
I don’t know dads genetics well aside from him being split to pied. The breeder did show me his grandmother tho and she was all white body and face. I don’t know which genes he may have inherited.
It means grandmas dad is albino and that’s related to Lutino. Well if he is have a white marking in the back of his head means he is dominant pied. Means probably baby is Pearl Cinnamon Pied split Lutino. Or he is Pearl Pied split Cinnamon Lutino...

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@gamermouse , Would you like me to move all of these genetics posts to a new thread on Cockatiel Corner? You may get more members see it over there

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
While I have you guys here, how does his crop look though? We have an early morning appointment with the vet but this one visible vein was concerning me and I wasn’t sure if some are natural or if this was a bad sign. It seems a little redder to me in person than in the photo but that could just be me worrying because he’s been through so much. 5808B2A7-E7A5-4616-B034-DFF6BB61FFD0.jpeg

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
AND FINAL UPDATE! We can close out the crop saga and my heart can rest. I'm so happy, y'all! My anxiety has been thumping.

Our avian vet said he looks GREAT.

He started off the visit by pooping a BIG poop on the vet scale like ah yes I was saving that for ya.

So he was actually a little dehydrated because Dahlia isn’t consuming enough liquids for him. Not much. Just a little dehydration she said. I was surprised cause there is moisture in his stool and it’s wet but that doesn’t mean the same for birds as it does for us. I just learned so much today that I didn't know.

His lungs sound GREAT and his crop healed wonderfully. He recovered completely from both the aspiration and the over feeding/stretching of the crop. That had been bothering me and worrying me for days now and to have confirmation that he's good is such a relief.

I mentioned his stool had changed consistency and color since yesterday. The vet administered a little subcutaneous liquid for the dehydration and did a fecal to make sure the weird stool wasn’t a matter of Dahlia passing him a parasite. None detected. No parasites bacteria or viruses. He has no yeastiness either, which she also checked for.

Basically he looks really good and I did a great job. The stool change was because I spoon fed him formula yesterday and gave Dahlia baby food alongside her pellets to try to increase her veggie intake! I feel like an idiot lmao. I should have caught that!

Vet said it’s likely if I didn’t make those changes yesterday he may have been worse off and more lethargic today however. Her suggestion was to continue the spoon feedings by offering a little to get his crop going before taking him to the mother for her to finish him off. The visit wiped him out. I took him in the whole critter keeper wrapped in blankets and towels to try to conserve heat, which worked well actually.

Thank you guys for your help. I told her all about the forum and she said you guys gave me wonderful advice throughout this entire affair.

Loki.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update! And a lovely photo too :swoon:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He looks great! We all love a success story!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@gamermouse What a wonderful update and picture. He is growing so fast and such a cute little pincushion!
Lots of credit goes to you too. Some folks aren't willing to do the work, and if advice given to them doesn't fit what they want to hear they just ignore it. I think everyone who tried to help did so because they were heartened by your attitude and willingness to "do it".
I can't wait to hear your adventures as this little one grows up because he will be a handful!