• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this safe?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
So my bird (gcc male ) loves to chew his Snuggle Buddy (whatever it is??) and he loves sleeping in it as well. I took it out and I want to find a safer alternative. Hut, snuggle toy, I don’t care. Just something safe that he can keep warm with :)

Now is this safe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Is there any way you can distract him? Find a better toy maybe? If he's chewing on it, you have to be certain there are no loose threads. Snuggle huts encourage hormones and mating behavior, not good options. I think the best one was the second one Mizzely posted, not fabric and not closed off. If you have a snuggle hut for warmth, they don't do much. There are some better options.

conureluv

the top review for Mizzely’s post was someone who’s conure died by getting his head stuck in the rings. Should I get him a mat instead? He could give his feet a rest and sleep on it For example:
AF7EA388-0B93-4E4A-B2AB-8EBEC5FFB438.png

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A play matt is always a good idea! Because it's more open it probably will not create a nesting issue. You'll want to leave it flat like in the picture you posted.

I do however, suggest you get something from one of AA's vendors. People have ordered them on amazon & found that they smell like chemicals or are not the size that they specify.

@Matto

Has one that's a ten inch by ten inch square

@calibird & @Laurie

Have a few in different sizes

@Danita

Has 2 that are ready made to hang immediately

Sooooo.... You have some nice options & if Amazon has a better price, it may only be because of nefarious reasons that could be bad for your fid to beak & tongue. Our vendors here back their items, I have yet to have an issue w/ them. Financially, Amazon was (for most part) an incredibly HUGE waste of my limited monthly bird funds & ultimately I ended up re-purchasing the items from our AA vendors.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If you get the sea grass mats and fold/hang them like a hammock it works pretty well. This is what we did for our Aries when she was with us. She loved the snuggle huts but they were to dangerous to keep around her. This solution worked well for her.
CDCEFCAF-DE88-4711-A233-7F9A7CB64A3B.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes those links on the mat I linked to are rather large; I would also have issues with them depending on bird size (if the head can go through but not the whole bird, it's a danger). There are other seagrass hut styles/mats as you see that don't have the same concerning design choices.

conureluv

A play matt is always a good idea! Because it's more open it probably will not create a nesting issue. You'll want to leave it flat like in the picture you posted.

I do however, suggest you get something from one of AA's vendors. People have ordered them on amazon & found that they smell like chemicals or are not the size that they specify.

@Matto

Has one that's a ten inch by ten inch square

@calibird & @Laurie

Have a few in different sizes

@Danita

Has 2 that are ready made to hang immediately

Sooooo.... You have some nice options & if Amazon has a better price, it may only be because of nefarious reasons that could be bad for your fid to beak & tongue. Our vendors here back their items, I have yet to have an issue w/ them. Financially, Amazon was (for most part) an incredibly HUGE waste of my limited monthly bird funds & ultimately I ended up re-purchasing the items from our AA vendors.
If you get the sea grass mats and fold/hang them like a hammock it works pretty well. This is what we did for our Aries when she was with us. She loved the snuggle huts but they were to dangerous to keep around her. This solution worked well for her.
View attachment 375988
Good ideas! Do those vendors ship? (I live in an area where those vendors are really far away, still in US though)

I like how you made it a hut. Also it comes with plastic clips, how could I use better ones and where could I find ones? Where could I put it in the cage?
(his old Snuggie was on the rope perch to the right)
image.jpg

conureluv

Good ideas! Do those vendors ship? (I live in an area where those vendors are really far away, still in US though)

I like how you made it a hut. Also it comes with plastic clips, how could I use better ones and where could I find ones? Where could I put it in the cage?
(his old Snuggie was on the rope perch to the right)
View attachment 375999
Where would it work best in the cage? I was thinking about putting it here (photo), it’s near his old Snuggie and it would hang well. What can I use to attach it to the rope perch if that spot is my best option?
image.jpg

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Your bird is super cute :)

I ship anywhere in the US.

I have a unique hanging tunnel that works well for a sleeping spot and it is lots of fun to play in during the day. It's pretty big and durable so it is built to last. All the metal hardware is stainless steel.

I have various sizes of mats as well.

I am sure you will find something from the vendors here :)

conureluv

Your bird is super cute :)

I ship anywhere in the US.

I have a unique hanging tunnel that works well for a sleeping spot and it is lots of fun to play in during the day. It's pretty big and durable so it is built to last. All the metal hardware is stainless steel.

I have various sizes of mats as well.

I am sure you will find something from the vendors here :)
(Tunnel questions) What are the dimensions? Will it fit Percy smoothly?
(seagrass questions) Will it fall if he chews on it? How can I hook it on his rope perches like in the top photo? I want to have it like a hammock because his old Snuggie was there, but if the seagrass would work anywhere else that would be fine
another quick question:

conureluv

Oh and can I get the bird’s eye view? I’m trying to figure out where to put it in the cage @Laurie :D
Pvc is amazing! I will order it if I can find a place to put it in my cage :hilarious:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
(Tunnel questions) What are the dimensions? Will it fit Percy smoothly?
(seagrass questions) Will it fall if he chews on it? How can I hook it on his rope perches like in the top photo? I want to have it like a hammock because his old Snuggie was there, but if the seagrass would work anywhere else that would be fine
another quick question:
Here is the full description. You would bolt it on the cage with the three stainless steel bolts that are included and preassembled. They are covered with various toys he may chew on but they only cover the stainless steel so there is no way to chew through it.

I recommend putting perches on one or two sides of the tunnel to make it easy to get in and out. My bird climb all over it like monkeys but I still like to have a couple perches for them to step onto when exiting.

Our Double Decker Adventure Tunnel is a safe sleeping alternative to a fuzzy hut or tent.
With two levels to enjoy there are lots of opportunities for exercise, fun and adventure. Over, under, inside and out your bird will find endless ways to enjoy this tunnel!
This a safe alternative to fuzzy huts (check out the hanging version).
Extra Fun Features include:
  • Hanging plastic chains are irresistible
  • Top deck spinners are so much fun
  • Three entrances/exits
  • Perfect for a nap or turning in for the night
  • A fun place to play
  • A secure place to hide
  • Made from heavy duty PVC and other plastics
  • Stainless Steel Hardware
  • Easy to clean
  • Entrance holes are about 4" in diameter
  • Footprint of the toy is about 10" x 9". Total height is 8" from the top of the bolts to the bottom.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Since part of the bolts stick out of the tunnel it is about 7" hanging down in the cage.