• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this safe?

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
soo my 2 male budgies loveeeee to chew on my necklace and rings is this safe for them?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of metal? Is it solid or plated?

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
What kind of metal? Is it solid or plated?
its sterling silver necklace and for the jem part of it it is this big blue jem and little real diamonds around it and for my ring its small 24k gold with a little diamond and my other ring is also sterling silver with an opal in the center with little diamonds around it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
its sterling silver necklace and for the jem part of it it is this big blue jem and little real diamonds around it and for my ring its small 24k gold with a little diamond and my other ring is also sterling silver with an opal in the center with little diamonds around it
I'd be concerned that they could accidentally ingest something and cost you more than just a diamond. They have small beaks but they are strong

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
I'd be concerned that they could accidentally ingest something and cost you more than just a diamond. They have small beaks but they are strong
they dont bite the diamond on my necklace just the chain and im not to worried about that because i only wear this necklace for them to chew i just dont know if its safe

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are bird safe necklaces you can buy. I know stainless steel and nickel plated are safe. Anything else I wouldn't let them play with.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I had a bird pop a stone out of a ring. Thankfully he didn’t eat it and I found it. I quit wearing jewelry around them after that

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I stopped wearing mine when Burt nearly removed my finger by shoving his beak between my ring and my finger, omg what a bruise and dent it left on my poor finger- jewelry can be dangerous or expensive depending on the bird I think lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My birds ruined a ring my boyfriend bought me when we first got together, it was irrepairable. He bought me a new diamond ring, and I keep it in the box and take it out for special events.
I wear my great grandmothers gold band all the time since she passed, but I take it off and hide it while my youngest is out because he has an obsession with it and obviously I don´t want it ruined.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't let my bird chew on jewellery - too much risk that they'll damage it or work a stone loose.

As a note, 24k gold is very soft and is rarely used in jewellery. A 24k gold ring would get scuffed and scratched very easily. The gold in jewellery is usually mixed with other metals to make it harder - 9k or 18k is more usual for rings.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
I wouldn't let my bird chew on jewellery - too much risk that they'll damage it or work a stone loose.

As a note, 24k gold is very soft and is rarely used in jewellery. A 24k gold ring would get scuffed and scratched very easily. The gold in jewellery is usually mixed with other metals to make it harder - 9k or 18k is more usual for rings.
its my great grandmothers ring