• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this safe to use?

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
Hi everyone, I have started getting into crafts. The crafts I have been doing involve paint and glue. Someone told me elmer glue and acrylic paint is okay to use. I was just double-checking to make sure. I get paranoid about things around him. The glue I have at the moment is elmer white glue and elmer clear glue. The paint used is 50 cent acrylic glue from Walmart.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I avoid such products around my birds.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Non-toxic, kid-friendly products are best if you can use, but I still don't use those around my pets because of the risks.
I absolutely wouldn't be using acrylic paints around him either :)
You could do it in a well-ventilated room away from your birdie, or outdoors like I do lol.

budgie 2

Sitting on the front steps
I usually do crafts in another room so that my birds don't get into things. It also helps to close the door so no fumes get to them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some fumes would get to them regardless, so it’s best to use safe products or use other products (including drying & curing) outside. This is a good supplementary precaution, though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My son uses acrylic paints for the 3D models he makes paints and sells (not 50c paint- a very good quality brand), he is set up out in the shed so the indoor birds are not inhaling anything from his crafts/models, he also has a special exhaust fan set up to remove any paint particles or fumes to a further away place in the yard that is well away from my outdoor bird. Not worth taking the risk if you do not have to.

I have read elmer glue is safe but I am not positive- I have not seen it nor used it personally so I can't comment on anything regarding it.

It is always good to remember that anything that puts scent or particles into the air is a hazard for our birds and it is always better to be safe than sorry.